Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

White Teeth
This topic is about White Teeth
Specific List Books > White Teeth-Zadie Smith

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Monika (marriedmurder) | 7 comments i just could not get into this book. I was literally half way through when i just gave up. I couldn't connect to a single character...actually I really didn't even want to....i just did not like this book what-so-ever...

Maggie | 22 comments
I got half way and left it. Bought her other books, started On Beauty hated it and gave it away! is she what is called a writers writer - I won't be getting anymore of her books.

Monika (marriedmurder) | 7 comments yeah one of my friends started another one of her books and hated it too...i just don't get her appeal at all

Anna (lilfox) | 291 comments I liked this books, but in later ones like On beauty Zadie Smith just uses cliches from her first book and it gets smelly.

Zala I very much liked White Teeth. It was one of the best books I read this year. It's true that it's not a fast read and the pages don't turn by themselves, but I loved the characters and the irony with which the book is written.
I'm reading On Beauty now and I like it, but not as much as White Teeth. Still, it's a good book, if you care more about the characters and less about the plot, at least.

Tami I did enjoy White Teeth, but I wouldn't say it was one of my favorites. I picked it up, put it back down, picked it back up, etc.....and trudged through reading it. I had a hard time towards the beginning trying to keep all the characters straight, but then somewhere about half way through I got hooked. It wasn't a happy read for me by any means. I really hate that people treat other humans that way but I am glad I read the book.

message 7: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (Wildone) | 20 comments Margaret wrote: "i really loved this book. i think i might've started out disliking it too, though, but i can't remember. and so i got her other book On Beauty but idk i've read little blurbs of what it's about and..."

Margaret wrote: "i really loved this book. i think i might've started out disliking it too, though, but i can't remember. and so i got her other book On Beauty but idk i've read little blurbs of what it's about and..."

I read On Beauty and enjoyed it mucho-probably'll read White teeth soon-The criticisms weren't specific-what was bad about it?

message 8: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (Wildone) | 20 comments Margaret wrote: "no not criticism just little plot summaries. like the subject matter was more toned down in this one, a little more mature. and then there were some amazon.com opinions i saw, where people didn't l..."
I think I'll hold out on getting White Teeth for awhile.My reading backlog is getting ahead of me a bit.Also, sometimes(rarely but sometimes)there's a place where I can get cheap used books in Ajijic, Jalisco.Maybe I'll get lucky before I catch up.Thanks for the info.

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (miss_spookiness) | 12 comments I loved this book. I could just see the characters all the time and imagine what they looked like, where they lived etc from the descriptions, it was a really good read :) I really liked On Beauty as well. I've also got another book by her called The Autograph Man, but I haven't really heard it mentioned much so many its not so good!! :)