Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > I'm so glad I'm not in the job market

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori According to this article, interviewers pay close inspection to things that I would fail in a big way!

Hiring Tricks That Job Seekers Must Know http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-artic...

They sneak a peak at your car:

Oh geez, I've got a white trash car. Food wrapper? Check. Dirty? Check. Misc items all strewn about? Check. Books galore? Check.

Sometimes it gets so bad that I have to make a mental note to clear some space if I have passengers.

They watch how you eat?
I have no idea what they are looking for, but I certainly eat ALOT. Does that make me too voracious? Plus, I often end up wearing something I eat (altho I'd be far more careful in an interview situation). So that makes me sloppy? Eek!

As for waiting in the receptionist area, I'd probably read a book. Or People magazine if they have one. Most definitely NOT the Wall St Journal! I suppose that makes me seem like an escapist? And what if I was reading a great scifi/fantasy book that unfortunately had one of those very misleading covers with big-busted girl clinging to a rather large male alien?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think if they were so obsessed that they went to look at my car, I wouldn't want to work for them, anyways.
That's waaaay too invasive for me!

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, I'm the same way, Lori. I would be horrified if I had to eat in an interview. I'm always way nice to receptionists, etc. anyway, though, so I think I'd do ok on that level. My old car would have horrified them, but my new one is ok.

I once had a student teacher tell me a teacher asked her to remove liberal bumper stickers from her car because she found them offensive. I told her not to remove the stickers...f--k that mean woman at her school.

I don't think everyone goes out to check out cars during hiring. I never do when we hire someone. But corporate culture is so alien to me that, if I had to interview in a corporate environment, I would probably break about ten rules without even knowing said rules existed.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've heard that one eating test is whether or not you salt your food before you taste it. That's a no-no. It shows a non-analytical mind, or something like that.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, I agree with Jacks, too...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I hate going out to eat with my interviewers. Because you KNOW they're still evaluating you. Somehow, I don't have much of an appetite in those situations...

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i put pepper and hot sauce on everything. don't even need to taste it. guess that would be good at a Tabasco interview

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh yes, these are all probably for higher echelon corporate jobs, which I wouldn't be seeking anyway. And these just reinforce why I would never join that world.

I'm most curious about those eating tests and what the conclusions are. How does salting your food make you non-analytical anyway?

Maybe they should do handwriting analysis too. Hey, how about reading foreheads or the shape of my head while you're at it!

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i am guessing that if you salt something first without tasting it you are not coming to a logical conclusion

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments or, like me, you have nuked your taste buds by eating serrano and jalapeno peppers on everything and know in advance that it is going to need a bit o help

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The not salting before you taste your food is a good rule in general. It might already BE pretty salty.

But to judge someone's aptitude for a job based on that is silly. I could see doing that because of nerves, not because I meant to.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh I skipped the part about not tasting it first - OK that makes sense.

Altho my bil will salt ANYTHING.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments If I knew I didn't want the job by then I might be tempted to go a little over the top with the food part of the interview. You know, reach over to someone's plate and say "you gonna eat that?" and snatch some fries...

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Or I could bring a banana to eat.

Oh wait, depending on the interviewer that might be just the ticket. Ugh.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Order a salad, but say that you brought your own dressing. Order hot water, and say you brought your own tea bag. They will be impressed with your thriftiness and financial acumen.
Or they will think you are some kind of weirdo.

message 16: by Heidi (last edited Aug 12, 2009 12:19PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments I've had a lunch interview with two people (for the job I have now). I waited until they'd ordered and then ordered the same thing as one of them... chicken salad, I think (which was too garlicky).

I've overheard my coworkers talking about interviews they've done in which they've unconventional questions like:

Close your eyes and pretend I don't know how to tie my shoe laces. How would you instruct me to tie my shoe laces?

Do you read in your spare time? What are you reading right now?

How do you handle stressful situations?
(althought that question isn't so unconventional, but the intention behind it is)

I had an old boss try to do the opinion about a colleague thing on me once - it was was when I was working in news. I was an intern at the time. The managing editor caught me at a moment when I was checking the cords on the scanners in the room behind the assignment desk. He asked me what I thought of the talent they were hiring... and said he thought they were all airheads who lacked journalism skills. I assumed he was testing me - I said it doesn't matter where you work, everyplace has the airheads, the loudmouths, the fill-in-the-blanks... Maybe they just need some guidance and they're lucky to have him as a supervisor so he can teach them what he knows. He seemed very pleased with my response.

message 17: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 158 comments When I was in college they had this dinner thing that was supposed to prepare you if you need to ever do a business dinner or something like that and they told us about that salt thing. They said that putting salt on your food before you taste it shows that you make hasty decisions and some people have not been hired because of it.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have been told that I would be laughed out of any formal dinner because I hold my fork like a caveman.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments most of my job interviews have gone more like this:

"you got yer own tools?"

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Wait, cavemen had FORKS?

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments *snrk*

I misspoke, apparently. I hold my fork like I would hold a struggling caveman who did not want to be held. Is that better?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "*snrk*

I misspoke, apparently. I hold my fork like I would hold a struggling caveman who did not want to be held. Is that better? "

Hahahaha!!! Yes, much better, Sarah Pi. :)

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I guess that just illustrates that it's important to be precise in your language. Interviewers appreciate that, too.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments Oddly enough, both descriptions still provided the same image in my mind. :)

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The second one implies more struggle, to me, like I'm fighting a losing battle to hang onto my cutlery. In reality, I just kind of invert my hand strangely.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 12, 2009 01:09PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Are you left-handed, Sarah Pii? I'm left handed, so I assume pretty much any way I hold anything is bad manners. Plus, I write in a weird, inverted way...

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Right handed, but I hold pens oddly as well, and my handwriting is consequently terrible. I don't know what all that's about.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think I hold pens oddly, too, with my fingers all scrunched up toward the tip. How ARE we supposed to hold pens?

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments so my pencil with the pink deal down is not really magically un-writing stuff?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hahahahaha!!!

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments clever bird isn't she (i like her)

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think this is the proper way?
[image error]
I hold it balanced by my middle finger instead.
I also hold a pool cue very awkwardly, so I get no power behind my shots.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.