This topic is about Promise of Blood
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Promise of Blood [Mar 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I found Silverfox (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela | 3523 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts 15th March.

Beste | 1163 comments Thanks Angela! xxx

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 385 comments I ask again, any chance we could change these to either between the 1st--10th, or 20th-28th or so?

message 4: by J.J. (new) - added it

J.J. Lol Morte it shouldn't be a problem with you, you're the World's Fastest Reader. lol

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 385 comments lol, I'm actually reading a lot slower as of this year.

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 3743 comments Mod
J.J. wrote: "Lol Morte it shouldn't be a problem with you, you're the World's Fastest Reader. lol"

Hahaha, love this.

message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 3743 comments Mod
I hope you get a chance to read it Morte.

Enjoy the series everyone - it's great!

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2276 comments MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "I ask again, any chance we could change these to either between the 1st--10th, or 20th-28th or so?"

You can start before 10 or after 20. I don't think all will be done with this book by 20. I take 5-10 days to finish a grimdatk, guess I will be there to give you company even if you start after 20.

message 9: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6199 comments Mod
Mebee

Barry (boprawira) | 931 comments I signed up for 3 BRs starting on this date ... sigh ...

@Morte u can start a few days earlier or later. It’s not like everybody has to start on same day. I’lol probably have to start earlier or postpone one of the other 2BRs, because I’ve been wanting to start this series.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 385 comments You all raise a good point. I can always start late or early.

I wanna give a friendly reminder to everyone in advance to not just mark your spoilers, but to also point out where the spoiler takes place so people who are at certain points in the book can get your insights :D

Andrew | 617 comments This book has been on my virtual Kindle shelf for a while. I think I'm going to try to join y'all.

Andrew | 617 comments Well I'm officially in, and on a related note I cheated. I read the first two chapters this morning before work. But in my defense, I was either going to have to read this early or not participate in the BR. I'll try to hold off on discussing anything until more of you have started.

Also, I'm hoping someone here can answer a question for me--just how many novellas/short stories in this series are there? I noticed that there are two separate short story compilations, with one containing 4 stories and the other containing 5 stories. And it looks like there's at least 1 additional short story that's not in either of those collections. I'm only planning on reading the original trilogy for now, but I'd like to know how many additional smaller works are available.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 385 comments @Andrew How dare you "cheat?" by reading the first two chapters. I ought to hunt you down....and tickle you! :P

I mean sure, last year I read the first 5 or so chapters and then quit because of stupid hangups which thankfully no long apply but...hey, I never said that I wasn't a hypocrite! :P

Anyways, turns out that I don't need to start early because the the book I was gonna read around the same time this one is sequel to a books that I quit becuse it has a main character that's absolute trite that who wouldn't wish on my worst enemy .. parts that I can't stand. That said, I'll probably start early anyways because I don't particularly have a desire to read something else right now.

Beste | 1163 comments One crazy start.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2276 comments I will start tonight.

Timelord Iain | 9786 comments I've heard so much about this... can't wait... just need to read 3 other books first...

Andrew | 617 comments I'm happy that some of you are starting now. I'm about 50% done am really liking it!

Timelord Iain | 9786 comments Tamas and Taniel are hard to differentiate on audio in only 1 ear at work... on chapter 3...

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2276 comments chapter 8 and quite enjoying it. the coup, and the politics. Am also liking all the three PoVs so far. having a little difficulty in grasping the magic system though.

all three main characters seems to be good guys but still these are initial chapters only...

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments I'm so glad I found this, little late but starting tomorrow!

Timelord Iain | 9786 comments I think good guy is a stretch... but I wouldn't call anyone a bad guy either... except whoever (view spoiler)

On chapter 10 now...

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2276 comments I mostly divide cast in good and bad, then support the good guys.

Beste | 1163 comments Iain wrote: "I think good guy is a stretch... but I wouldn't call anyone a bad guy either... except whoever [spoilers removed]

On chapter 10 now..."

I just found out who did it. Not so shocking.
At first I thought it would be a boring read but I started enjoying it after first 100pages.

Beste | 1163 comments And I want to learn more about Ka-poel :)

Timelord Iain | 9786 comments Yea... I have a feeling I know where this is going, but I like it...

Usually it's easier to root for the main characters, but I feel like they're in the wrong here... or courting disaster anyway...

Powder magic doesn't sound very healthy... snorting gunpowder... Chapter 18 now...

message 27: by Andrew (last edited Mar 16, 2018 05:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrew | 617 comments Manju wrote: " having a little difficulty in grasping the magic system though...."

IMO how McClellan handles the magic system is one of the biggest indicators of Sanderson's heavy influence on his writing. Very much reminds me of Mistborn in particular. You've got the protagonists' magic system (powder mage/mistborn), which is detailed first. Then you start to find out details about the other major magic system, (priveleged/feruchemists). Then you eventually get to know characters that are really powerful in one limited form of magic (knacked/mistings).

He definitely also subscribes to the Sanderson school of thought in how he presents the magic system(s) to the reader. It's a slow reveal.

Andrew | 617 comments Iain wrote: "Powder magic doesn't sound very healthy... snorting gunpowder... Chapter 18 now....."

Yeah, I found that interesting as well. Almost makes powder mages seem like crack addicts. It's an interesting way of limiting mages' power: rather than having a finite amount of magical energy to burn, mages have to worry about addiction if they overuse their power. I don't know if that will have any baring on the overall plot, but it's a nice little detail that shows the author really thought out his world/magic system.

Andrew | 617 comments Beste wrote: "And I want to learn more about Ka-poel :)"

Me too. :) I've got about 100 pages left and she's the character that I am the most anxious to know better. Hoping for a Ka-poel POV chapter either at the end of the book or in book 2.

Timelord Iain | 9786 comments Yea... I saw Petrik talk about Brian's Sanderson influences in his review...

I'm intrigued by Ka-poel as well... hard to get to know her thoughts much, being mute and all...

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Beste (last edited Mar 16, 2018 06:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beste | 1163 comments I won't lie, I couldn't wait someone else to mention in the book so I searched Ka-poels age. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6199 comments Mod
I'll be starting today or tomorrow. :)

Timelord Iain | 9786 comments Chapter 35: Adamat seems to subscribe to the October Daye school of investigation... piss everybody off and see who tries to kill me...

Timelord Iain | 9786 comments Finished...

"Suesmith": (view spoiler)

Ka-poel: (view spoiler)

Taniel: (view spoiler)

That ending left me with so many questions: (view spoiler)

These "super-Privileged" (view spoiler)

Andrew | 617 comments Also finished. Fun read, and I'm looking forward to continuing the series next month.

My biggest questions at this point are:

(view spoiler)

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 385 comments I can't get into this book sadly, so I'm out.

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments Ch21 finished, enjoying Tamas’ and Taniel’s pov. Ka’poel is indeed very interesting and I too want to learn much about her.

Adamat’s pov is my least favourite, I mean only thing he does is ask questions, haven’t seen a special inspector yet but hoping it will change soon.

Beste | 1163 comments Loved the fiction but not the writing style. So I gave it a 4stars rating.

What suprised me most was Mihali's reaction in the fest.

We read about how addicting the powder was, how it can be used and etc but not how they first came to exist. I really wonder how and when.

I wish there was a sign language that some (elite fighters) use, so that Ka-poels screentime would increase:))))))

Andrew | 617 comments Beste wrote: "Loved the fiction but not the writing style. So I gave it a 4stars rating...................
We read about how addicting the powder was, how it can be used and etc but not how they first came to exist. I really wonder how and when...."

I agree with your sentiments with regard to star rating. Cool world building and solid story, but didn't have top-shelf prose. Also, the book had a lot of characters that I really liked, but none that I loved. For me that makes this a very solid 4*.

I'm assuming the backstory of "how and when" powder mages came to be will be divulged sometime before the trilogy concludes. I'd be SHOCKED if those details are never presented to the reader. McClellan is just keeping us in suspense.

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments Finished the book, ending was really good. Gave it 4,5 rounded to 5.

Can't wait to start book 2 and read about Taniel and Ka-poel

Em*Greedy* (Iniya) (iniya_n) | 375 comments I'm starting this today..!

Hajarath Prasad Abburu (hajarath) | 10 comments I'm starting this today.....!

Andrew | 617 comments Iniya wrote: "I'm starting this today..!"

Hajarath Prasad wrote: "I'm starting this today.....!"

Welcome, Iniya and Hajarath. Enjoy the book!

Marcel C | 5 comments I started yesterday. I like it. Don't like the snorting part, kind of silly, but I will see.

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments Marcel wrote: "I started yesterday. I like it. Don't like the snorting part, kind of silly, but I will see."

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it

Barry (boprawira) | 931 comments Started today. Beginning Chapter 5

Magic system seems unique in that you gotta snort some powder ... I agree with someone here who wrote that it’s sorta a way to control the usage of magic because the more u use it the more it’ll destroy your body, I presume that is the negative side effect if the powder.

Re Adamat
(view spoiler)

I really like the difficulties that Tamas seemed to be having in trying to (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 9786 comments Barry wrote: "Started today. Beginning Chapter 5

Magic system seems unique in that you gotta snort some powder ... I agree with someone here who wrote that it’s sorta a way to control the usage of magic because..."

The political aspects reminded me of my Honor Harrington reads a few months ago... the bad guys in that series are a galactic empire that is so in debt that they rush to conquer other colonies just to use their money to keep their way of life functioning a little longer...

Marcel C | 5 comments 60% now. This book it's for me. The pacing it's good, there is always something happening. I got bored fast with endless description which go on and on, over several pages.

Anyways, what bugs me, it's that Tamas should be some military genius and leader of men, with a knack to know what people want and make them do it for him.

And until now, it just feel like a naive person, always getting surprised attacks on him, everybody else knows stuff he doesn't know and his best tactic until now is to destroy his enemies while they sleep.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2276 comments @Barry:

about Tamas (view spoiler)

at chapter 15
(view spoiler)

Beste | 1163 comments Manju wrote: "@Barry:

about Tamas [spoilers removed]

at chapter 15
so many things has happened. Tamas's refusal to negotiate with Ipille, assassination attempt. and now there is a new type of magical breed i...."

Will he be fulfilling the order? Poor Taniel.

« previous 1