Michael Chabon Readers discussion

Tell us a little about yourself.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Curtin | 20 comments Mod
Hi, My name is Brian. Everyone calls me Bri, I'm 26 and I live in Connecticut. The first Michael Chabon book I read was "Wonder Boys" I've since collected most of his books. I'd like this group to be a casual place where we can discuss the books, and even some of the movies. If there is anything you would like to discuss start a thread. Or, send me a message.

message 2: by Marty (new)

Marty Folan | 1 comments Hey mate, massive Chabon fan. I'm 35, live in Sydney, Australia. Have all his books - Yiddish Policemen's Union is my favourite. I think the Coen's are going to make the movie version - can't wait.

message 3: by Ted (new)

Ted Child | 1 comments I'm 28 and live in Victoria, Canada. I've read three of Chabons books, as well as some of his non-fiction essays and loved them all. I have to admit I'm stopping myself from reading him too quickly. I loved his essay on genre short stories and on "The Road", both of which blew my mind.

message 4: by A.lyss.a (new)

A.lyss.a | 1 comments <3 Gentlemen of the Road, aka Jews with Swords.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Carroll (bencarroll) | 5 comments Marty - a Coen version of Yiddish Policemen's Union would blow my mind. Can't wait.

I'm Ben, 23, and a massive Chabon fan. Kavalier & Clay was my introduction and favourite, though Manhood For Amateurs was by far the best book of that type I've read. I still have to get round to his early stuff -- Mysteries of Pittsburgh and Wonder Boys.

message 6: by Nisha-Anne (new)

Nisha-Anne (nishaanned) Ahhhh, a place to talk Michael Chabon ... what could be better? *sighs happily*

I'm Nisha-Anne. Another Sydneysider. :p I'm far too old to admit it without some inward horror ... which isn't much mollified by the fact that I still look twelve.

And yep, Kavalier & Clay was my first ... oh god, I so did not want that book to end, it made me so sad to realise there weren't that many pages left. And the irony is I only picked it up cos Neil Gaiman raved on about it. About five years later, I realised that somehow, without me noticing, Chabon had totally replaced Gaiman as my favourite writer. Hee.

So far I've got and read all of his books except Werewolves Of Our Youth, and I keep trying to read Wonder Boys but my disgust of Michael Douglas keeps stopping me. Silly, I know, but it's just one of those things. :p

I have a very deep fondness for Mysteries Of Pittsburgh but, aside from Kavalier & Clay, I think Maps And Legends would be my favourite. It's just so ... refreshing and adorable and makes me want to hug him for being such a passionate little fanboy with so many words tripping off his tongue. And christ, I adored every single bit of Manhood For Amateurs.

I so need to do a comprehensive Chabon re-read so yes, if y'all start one, I will totally be here, waving banners and posting madly and all.

Er. Once I get all my Chabon back from a friend. I lent them All to her in a fit of momentary insanity and have been regretting it ever since. I know, right ... what was I thinking?!

Hallo.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Curtin | 20 comments Mod
Nisha-Anne wrote: "Ahhhh, a place to talk Michael Chabon ... what could be better? *sighs happily*

I'm Nisha-Anne. Another Sydneysider. :p I'm far too old to admit it without some inward horror ... which isn't muc..."

If you can get past the Michael Douglas thing I think you'd really enjoy Wonder Boys. Along with "Mysteries..." and his 2 books of short stories you gain an appreciation for his easy, lyrical style. embarrassingly enough I have read Wonder Boys at least 15 times. Anytime I feel the slightest twinge of writer's block it's my go to.

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben Carroll (bencarroll) | 5 comments Hey Nisha-Anne! I need to re-read Chabon soon, although I'd like to completely catch up with him first. Mysteries of Pittsburgh is on my shelf, ready to go- I'm glad it's a favourite.

I've been toying with lending out Kavalier & Clay, but that's my fear-- never getting it back again.

message 9: by Nisha-Anne (new)

Nisha-Anne (nishaanned) Ahh the Wonder Boys hype ... *lol* I totally get what you mean about Chabon's easy lyrical style, Brian. That's what I adore about Maps And Legends, and Manhood.

Oddly enough, the only stuff of his that deeply dissatisfies me are his short stories. :( It's not just him, Bret Easton Ellis (who I adore to the ends of the earth) also disappoints me on the short story front cos I always end up thinking "And the point of that was?" *shrug* I guess not everybody can be Agatha Christie. She's really the only author I've read so far whose short stories leave me thoroughly fulfilled, if not a little teary or with hair on end. :p

Ooh, now I'm wondering who my go-to author is when I have writers' block.

Don't do it, Ben! Kavalier & Clay was the only one I didn't lend out and christ, am I glad for it. Now I buy two copies of my favourite books and keep one for the lending and one for the reading. Hee hee hee.

I'll be very interested to hear what you think of Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Ben. I can see some people not being very impressed with it but to me it's that perfect example of Chabon's pre-Kavalier style. Easy lyricism, as Bri quite rightly says. :p

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (chaitea2) I love Chabon and have read almost everything he has written (with the exception of the Manhood book; I just can't bring myself to read it). Kavalier & Clay is my favorite. I have never been so riveted by a book. Plus the story kind of hit home. I didn't know Gaiman was a fan. Cool. He is a literary god as well so that makes sense. Wonder Boys and Mysteries of Pittsburgh were both great and I also enjoyed the shorter novels. The amazing thing about Chabon is that he never hits a wrong note. Every book is a gem.

message 11: by Nisha-Anne (new)

Nisha-Anne (nishaanned) Okay, I'm curious now, Nelly. Why can't you bring yourself to read Manhood? :p

Hallo! *waves*

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (chaitea2) Nisha-Anne, I guess it's because I'm expecting it to be a parenting-type book (albeit highly literary and eloquently written). I have two young boys and reading is my escape from the day-to-day stresses of motherhood. I guess I am afraid I will have to relive those if I read the book! It's sitting on my bookshelf next to Ayelet Waldman's book called "Bad Mother"--which I also have yet to read! :-)

message 13: by Nisha-Anne (new)

Nisha-Anne (nishaanned) Ahhhh, yes, I see why you would think that ... :) If it helps, I theenk there's only a little bit of that. Really, it's much more Chabon blissing out about his own geeky loves. :p

Gawsh, I've been wondering about Ayelet's book, that very one! One day I'm going to have to read it but yeah, not yet. :p

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (chaitea2) I wasn't too impressed with her novels. They were ok, but not brilliant. Red Hook Road felt like she was trying to hard. Her essays are usually quite funny though and I did enjoy Nursery Crimes (I think that's what that series is called.) They were clever and a fun read. Making my way through Game of Thrones now.....