Chicks On Lit discussion

books for 8 - 10 year olds

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

hey everyone...

I know I am not around so much these days I still love to read about what you are reading!

I am starting an after school club for book lover's. We will be reading a book a week and doing book related crafts and then the kids will write and illustrate their own books....

Can you reccomend any books for 8 -10 year olds... particularily those that are good examples of character, plot or setting???

I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Katie

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 4853 comments Jess and the river kids by Judith O'Neil

Elizabeth (Alaska) Katie, kudos to you for doing this. For book recommendations, you might want to get The Read-Aloud Handbook Sixth Edition by Jim Trelease. The back 1/3 is called A Treasury of Read Alouds. I know you're thinking everyone will read to themselves, but the Treasury includes books by listening age/grade and usually a brief descriptin of the book. It is not heavily geared toward pre-schoolers.

message 4: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) The Phantom Toll Booth is great for setting - it has its own map in the front and is a rollercoaster of a ride - I loved it when I read it around the age of 10. I remember our teacher at school making a wall sized map and plotting our enjoyment of the story as we read through it - we'd write character reviews or draw pictures of certain episodes and they's appear on the map.

I also love 'The Silver Sword' by Ian Serrallier - its a great story for character as its about children fleeing Poland in search of their parents during the war - very moving and easy for 8-10 year olds to identify with the story. It will give them a great insight into WW2 history.

Hope this helps.

Ally

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

thanks Ally.. that sounds fantastic!

Elizabeth that sounds like a great book to buy! I will definitely get it!

Smitha.... I am checking out your recommendation!

I appreciate all the input!