Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > February Nominations

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm with Kids This month the theme will be "Translated Fiction". The book should be a novel written in any language and translated into English. Please ensure the book is currently in commercial print and available widely to ensure all members can participate.

Please remember:
1. People may only nominate one book.
2. All nominations must be seconded.
3. You can nominate a book or second a book not both.
4. If the book you nominate wins, you must lead the discussion.
5. Authors may not self nominate.

Nominations shall close at midday GMT on Friday 26th January. For those outside Ireland:

New York: 7.00am
LA: 4.00am
Sydney: 11.00pm ,26th January

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1143 comments I second your nomination, Declan.

Bookworm with Kids I would like to nominate The Seamstress by María Dueñas which is also known as The Time in Between. This was recommended to me by a Spanish friend who had read it in the native Spanish.

message 4: by Allan (new)

Allan Apologies for my recent absence, but I saw the thread and thought that I would nominate Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes, originally published in German, mainly because I have it on my shelf ready to be read.

message 5: by Anty (new)

Anty Notosapoetro (antyh) | 10 comments I’d like to nominate The Travelling Cat Chronicles.by Hiro Arikawa.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I’d like to nominate The Door by Magda Szabo - NY Times Review of Books 10 Best Books 2015. Hungary. It’s about Magda, a writer and the relationship between her and her illiterate housekeeper. Can’t link from my phone (or can I?)

message 7: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Barbara wrote: "I’d like to nominate The Door by Magda Szabo - NY Times Review of Books 10 Best Books 2015. Hungary. It’s about Magda, a writer and the relationship between her and her illiterate housekeeper. Can’..."

We read the Door summer of 2016 if I remember correctly - its the reason why I picked up one of my favourite books. Theres always Izas Ballad by the same author?

message 8: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments BTW I am in the middle of work deadlines in Feb so I am not nominating this time but look forward to seeing what you read!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Allan wrote: "Apologies for my recent absence, but I saw the thread and thought that I would nominate Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes, originally published in German, mainly because I have it on ..."

This looks incredibly interesting. I'd like to second it.

Bookworm with Kids Barbara wrote: "I’d like to nominate The Door by Magda Szabo - NY Times Review of Books 10 Best Books 2015. Hungary. It’s about Magda, a writer and the relationship between her and her illiterate housekeeper. Can’..."

Maria is right, The Door was the monthly group read om August 2016. You can nominate a different book if you like.
You are right about the links - you can't put them in when you are using your phone or the app. You need to be on a computer. I find it a pain as I use the app a lot!

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments nominate Anna Karenina

message 12: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 151 comments I've read a good few - The Almond Picker, Skandi crime, French crime. How's about Silence of the Grave
Silence of the Grave (Inspector Erlendur #4) by Arnaldur Indriðason
Icelandic crime echoing back to WW2.

message 13: by SueLucie (new)

SueLucie | 72 comments I'd like to nominate Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson unless the group has already read it. I read it some years ago and am thinking of re-reading soon.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Bookworm with Kids wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I’d like to nominate The Door by Magda Szabo - NY Times Review of Books 10 Best Books 2015. Hungary. It’s about Magda, a writer and the relationship between her and her illiterate h..."

Ok, thanks for the advice.

message 15: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 152 comments I'll second Out Stealing Horses.

Bookworm with Kids Anty wrote: "I’d like to nominate The Travelling Cat Chronicles.by Hiro Arikawa."

Here is the link to Anty's nomination: The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa.

Bookworm with Kids Ok, just to mention - we have only two books seconded -
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami
and
Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes.
Other books have been nominated but not yet seconded.

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Oops - just deleted when I meant to edit. I like the description of the The Travelling Cat Chronicles but the kindle version is currently unavailable and the third party copies from Amazon are all but 1 from the UK so will take a long time to arrive in the US.
I was going to second The Seamstress but noticed it is over 600 pages. I can't handle a doorstopper right now. Soooo I will support Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage which has already been seconded. I've already read Out Stealing Horses and Silence of the Grave - both very good.

Bookworm with Kids Barbara, I have The Travelling Cat Chronicles coming up for Kindle on Amazon.com for $1.38 but I wonder if there is an issue with availability for people in the States? I am logging in to Amazon. com from Ireland so it may be willing to supply it outside the States?

Bookworm with Kids BTW, I hadn't actually realised that The Seamstress was that big! I am not really in the humour for a doorstop either - I have so much else to read and February is a shorter month!

Bookworm with Kids My apologies - I didn't see Lorraine's seconding of Out Stealing Horses. We now have three books for the poll.

message 22: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I would like to nominate All Quiet on the Western Front

Bookworm with Kids Nominations are closed and the poll is now open.
Here is the link to the poll:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...
Happy voting!

Bookworm with Kids Polling is now finished for our February read and it is Out Stealing Horses as nominated by Sue. Thanks to everyone who nominated, seconded and voted.

Bookworm with Kids The discussion thread for the February read is now open here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Thanks.

message 26: by SueLucie (last edited Jan 30, 2018 01:56AM) (new)

SueLucie | 72 comments Thanks BwK and everyone. I'm about to start reading this for the second time and hope those who voted for it will enjoy.

message 27: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I don't think I'll be reading Stealing Horses but I do have Colorless so I might read that later in the month . I own it and it sounds good .

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.