Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > Official Challenge Numero Uno -- September 1st - December 31st

Comments Showing 1-50 of 195 (195 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3386 comments Mod
OK, here we go. Our first official challenge! Here are the rules:

1) Books must be Historical Fiction unless otherwise specified in the task.

2) Books must be at least 100 pages long, and books less than 150 pages can only be used for 5 point tasks.

3) Books less than 1/2 finished may be counted for the challenge at the beginning, but ALL books must be completed and points recorded by 11:59p EST on December 31, 2009 for points to be counted as completed for the task.

4) Tasks are assigned a point value, which is awarded when the task is completed. You will also receive bonus points based on the length of the book, as follows:
Up to 150 pages = 2 bonus points
151 to 400 pages = 4 bonus points
401 to 650 pages = 6 bonus points
651 to 1,000 pages = 8 bonus points
1,000+ = 10 bonus points

If you fail to record the length of the book, you will still be awarded the task points, but will NOT receive bonus points. (Sorry, but I'm not going to hunt you down for them!)

I think that's it. Please feel free to use the other challenge thread for any questions... I'd like to keep this one clean and use it only for Official Challenge Business! :)

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (new)

5 Point Tasks

1) Read a book set within the last 50 years.
2) Read an HF book set in Asia
3) Read a book containing time travel to the past.
4) Read a HF crime or mystery.
5) Read a book set during a war

10 Point Tasks

1) Read an HF book longer than 400 pages
2) Read a book set in B.C
3) Read a YA Historical Fiction
4) Read a book about a historical event that occurred in September, October, November or December, or a book that is appropriate for the season, like the Salem Witch Trials for October/Halloween, etc.
5) Read an HF book set in Africa

15 Point Tasks

1) Read a classic historical book (this would be where the book is a classic (i.e old) but set before the time it was even written i.e Lorna Doone, The Three Musketeers)
2) Read a HF book by an author who does not usually write HF. (Example: Markus Zusak or Stephen King)
3) Read a PERIOD historical i.e a book set in the past/history but about fictional characters
4) Read the first book of a big saga.
5) Read a book written by one of the "Favorite Authors" listed in the group.

20 Point Tasks

1) Read a second book by one of the authors used for another task and write a short review comparing the two books and which you liked better. (For example, if you choose Philippa Gregory's "The Other Boleyn Girl" for #10, then you could read "The Queen's Fool" or another P.G. book and compare them.)
2) Read any historical but submit a review of at least 500 words.
3) Read a HF recommended (or rated 5 stars) by someone NOT on your friends list.
4) Read a book about a king/queen not of England.
5) Read a HF Group Read book during September, October, November or December.

25 Point Bonus Task

1) Read a HF book of at least 1,000 pages.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 14, 2009 09:43AM) (new)

Here is the list I have come up with. Any help on the tasks not filled in would be greatly appreciated! :)

5 POINTS
5.1 Angel
5.2 Shogun
5.3 Outlander
5.4 Labyrinth
5.5 The Grass Crown

10 POINTS
10.1 Rebel Angels
10.2 Caesar's Women
10.3 Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
10.4 The Heretic's Daughter
10.5 Roots

15 POINTS
15.1 Gone With The Wind
15.2 A Painted House
15.3 Memoirs of a Geisha
15.4 The First Man in Rome
15.5 A Northern Light

20 POINTS
20.1 The Sweet Far Thing
20.2 Girl with a Pearl Earring
20.3 The Thirteenth Tale (Becky gave it 5 stars)
20.4 The Memoirs of Cleopatra
20.5 TBD - September

25 POINT BONUS TASK
25.1 Fortune's Favorites

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 48 comments Wow, another challenge...off to go think of books to read...HMMMMM

message 5: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Wow, another challenge...off to go think of books to read...HMMMMM"

You can do eeet! :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is my updated list. Let me know if you would prefer me to just post individual updates instead of the whole list.

5 POINTS
5.1 Angel
5.2 Shogun
5.3 Outlander
5.4 Labyrinth
5.5 The Grass Crown

10 POINTS
10.1 Rebel Angels
10.2 Caesar's Women
10.3 Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
10.4 The Heretic's Daughter
10.5 Roots

15 POINTS
15.1 Gone With The Wind
15.2 A Painted House
15.3 Memoirs of a Geisha
15.4 The First Man in Rome
15.5 A Northern Light

20 POINTS
20.1 The Sweet Far Thing
20.2 Girl with a Pearl Earring(Audiobook, GR-256 pages)
20.3 The Thirteenth Tale (Becky gave it 5 stars)
20.4 The Memoirs of Cleopatra
20.5 TBD - September

25 POINT BONUS TASK
25.1 Fortune's Favorites

Task Points: 20
Bonus Points: 3
Total Points: 23

message 8: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Whatever you want Linda!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Becky.

message 11: by Felina (new)

Felina Let me know if this is the wrong place to post this as I am very good at posting in the incorrect threads. :)

I just finished A Northern Light for 19 points.

message 12: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Only one thread. :D

message 13: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Felina, sorry... For my tracking purposes, can you specify which task you've completed, the number of pages the book had?

THanks!

message 14: by Becky, Moddess (new)

OK... I did see which task it was, actually. But if you could next time, I'd appreciate it. :D Thanks

message 15: by Felina (last edited Sep 08, 2009 03:31PM) (new)

Felina Oh sorry. >< Doh

15.3 Period Historical 389 pages - 4 bonus points

message 16: by Becky, Moddess (new)

No biggie!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 48 comments 15.5 A Northern Light, 389 pages, +4 bonus points

message 18: by Felina (new)

Felina Yay Jennifer. Great minds...

message 19: by Jon (new)

Jon | 325 comments Man that took for ever, 21 points please! i deserve them!

5 Point Tasks

1) Set within the last 50 years. In the Time of the Butterflies
2) HF book set in Asia. An Artist of the Floating World
3) Read a book containing time travel to the past. The House on the Strand
4) Read a HF crime or mystery. The Godfather or Alias Grace or Snow Falling on Cedars
The Ghost Road/English Patient/The Great World

10 Point Tasks

1) HF book longer than 400 pages. Pope Joan A Novel
2) Read a book set in B.C. Pompeii
3) Read a YA Historical Fiction. Across the Nightingale Floor
4) Read a book about a historical event that occurred in September, October, November or December, or a book that is appropriate for the season, like the Salem Witch Trials for October/Halloween, etc. The Agony and the Ecstasy A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo Sistine Chapel paintings first Exhibited Nov 1 1512
5) Read an HF book set in Africa. Roots

15 Point Tasks

1) Read a classic historical book : A Tale of Two Cities, Dickens 437p 6 bonus points
2) Read a HF book by an author who does not usually write HF.The Book Thief
3) Read a PERIOD historical i.e a book set in the past/history but about fictional characters
Year Of Wonders
4) Read the first book of a big saga.Master and Commander
The Thorn Birds

20 Point Tasks

1) Read a second book by one of the authors used for another task.
The Remains of the Day
TBA
3) Read a HF recommended (or rated 5 stars) by someone NOT on your friends list. MBP 5stars Fingersmith
Queen Margot, or, Marguerite de Valois
5) Read a HF Group Read book during September, October, November or December. TBA

25 Point Bonus Task

The Pillars of the Earth

Bonus: 6
Total 21

message 20: by Jon (new)

Jon | 325 comments oh quick start the tally board while im actually in the lead lol

message 21: by Becky, Moddess (new)

LOL

message 22: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Sorry to burst your bubble Jon dear, but Linda's beating you by 2 points.

message 23: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Leader board:

Linda Grace: 23
Jon: 21
Felina: 19
Jennifer: 19

message 24: by Jon (new)

Jon | 325 comments haha congrats Linda

message 25: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 13, 2009 06:11PM) (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 278 comments Here's my list finally. I can't imagine I'll ever get through all of these... I picked some massive books for some of them. Oh well - it may change a bit. I'm hoping to be finished Voyager this weekend and maybe Sense & Sensibility.... I've got to hurry up and get some points :)

Let me know if one of these doesn't count and I'll change it.

5 POINTS
5.1 Set within the last 50 years TBD
5.2 Set in Asia Shogun James Clavell
5.3 Time Travel to the Past The Fiery Cross Diana Gabaldon
5.4 Crime or Mystery TBD
5.5 Set during a war Atonement Ian McEwan

10 POINTS
10.1 Longer than 400 pages Innocent Traitor A Novel of Lady Jane Grey Alison Weir
10.2 Set in B.C. TBD
10.3 Young Adult The Secret Garden Frances Hodgson Burnett
10.4 Season Appropriate or current month Dracula Bram Stroker
10.5 Set in Africa The Poisonwood Bible Barbara Kingsolver

15 POINTS
15.1 Classic Historical Fiction TDB
15.2 Author who doesn't normally write HF A Painted House John Grisham
15.3 Period HF At the King's Command Susan Wiggs
15.4 1st of a big saga The Man of Property The Forsyte Saga John Galsworthy
15.5 Written by one of the favorite authors in the HF group The First Man in Rome Colleen McCullough

20 POINTS
20.1 Second book by author of book in another task Drums of Autumn Diana Gabaldon
20.2 Any HF - 500 word review Sense and Sensibility Jane Austen
20.3 5 stars by someone not on friends list St Thomas's Eve Jean Plaidy (5 stars by Anna)
20.4 King or Queen not of England The Memoirs of Cleopatra Margaret George
20.5 HF Group Monthy Read TBD

25 POINT BONUS TASK
25.1 At least 1000 pages Voyager Diana Gabaldon (1059 pages)

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 278 comments I just finished Voyager with 1059 pages for 25 points.

Becky, do we add the extra bonus points on for this one for the number of pages? Confused because it's already bonus points?

message 27: by Becky, Moddess (new)

LOL You asked that in the other thread too, Jennifer! Yep, you get the bonus points no matter which task you complete. :)

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 278 comments LOL I know... after I asked this time I remembered asking before. Oops... I just didn't want to say I have 35 points and then not really have them but I guess I do :)

message 29: by Felina (new)

Felina I just finished A Painted House for 15.2 An author who normally doesn't write HF. Total pages was 384. Total points for this: 19

Total Points so far: 38

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I just finished my first task. I read Innocent Traitor A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Alison Weir for task 15.5. Total pages was 399.

Total points so far: 19

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Becky - is someone going to post a leaderboard anywhere, or are we just keeping track ourselves?

message 32: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I posted one the other day. I'm keeping track of the points on a spreadsheet. Have no fear! :)

message 33: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Leader Board:

Felina: 38
Jennifer (Tudor): 35
Linda Grace: 23
Jon: 21
Jennifer (Sunset): 19
Lyn: 19

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Thanks Becky. Just wondering. Sorry I missed the one the other day. I'm just getting old.

message 35: by Becky, Moddess (new)

No problem Lyn! :D

message 36: by Felina (new)

Felina Woot! I'm #1. I'll have to savor it because it won't last long. :)

message 37: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Completed my first task! Yay!

20.2- Read any HF and write a 500 word review.
Read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (627 pgs)

Bonus: 6

Review - I tried to stay vague, but read with caution!

I have to admit that for a large chunk of this book, I was hovering right around 3-3 1/2 stars. It was very good, but not amazing.

Gabaldon really knows how to tell a story and suck you in. I felt like I was there, in 1743 with Claire and the clans and the Redcoats. I could smell the trees and feel the clear air, and could hear, or not hear, the silence that is the absence of 20th century noise pollution. I even dreamt about the book, which is a sure indicator of my being absorbed. ...more I have to admit that for a large chunk of this book, I was hovering right around 3-3 1/2 stars. It was very good, but not amazing.

Gabaldon really knows how to tell a story and suck you in. I felt like I was there, in 1743 with Claire and the clans and the Redcoats. I could smell the trees and feel the clear air, and could hear, or not hear, the silence that is the absence of 20th century noise pollution. I even dreamt about the book, which is a sure indicator of my being absorbed.

But that being said, I did find her writing a bit distracting at the same time. Certain conversations and situations would be incredibly vague to me, but would have Claire jumping to a conclusion or answering in a way that made no sense to me. I'd have to read it several times and I still wouldn't know what was going on. And then later, when the resolution or explanation came, I would be confused as to how the previous thing led to it. Around the third time, I just went with it, but it annoyed me.

I do like to have a little mystery, or suspense, or whatever in my stories. I don't expect everything to be handed to me on a silver platter- that would be boring. But, I do want to be able to follow the action or dialogue without feeling like I'm watching a one-sided conversation in Spanish, which I don't speak. Ideally, I would read the passage and come to the same conclusion as the character does. This was a small thing, but it happened a couple times, and frustrated me.

Anyway, let's move on to what everyone is dying to know: How much I loved Jamie.

It seems that Jamie is legendary in the 20th century. Mention this book within 50 miles of a girl who's read it and they start to swoon and fan themselves. If the poor guy was real, he would really have to live in the highest and most secluded of the Scottish Highlands just to get some peace, but even so, he'd probably never leave home without a stick to beat the teeming female masses back.

He really is like 99.8% perfect in every way. Too good to be true perfect, actually. He's attractive (if you like red-heads, which I don't as a rule), smart as a whip, witty, funny, brave, chivalrous, fair, wise beyond his years, makes a girl feel all warm and safe, etc etc etc. Really, if there's an adjective that indicates a positive trait, Jamie would probably embody it somehow. He accepts absurd and unreal situations that would have most other men of the 18th century shouting "WITCH!" and building the bonfire themselves without batting an eye.

I think that it was this near perfection that I just couldn't get over. His ONLY poor trait was his stubbornness. I really do love chivalry, intelligence and a sense of humor are absolute musts, and I'll even settle for an attractive guy if necessary, but keep going on past those things, and you start getting into the realm of fantasy. Jamie doesn't exist, because no man can be that perfect.

And this, in itself is what held me back from loving Jamie like the hordes of women mentioned above. Don't get me wrong, I did like him a lot, but love it wasn't. I want to be able to love a fictional character that is REALISTICALLY perfect, and Jamie is just perfect, no realism about it. But that was before I reached the last 50 pages of the book when Jamie is describing the torture he endured.

I won't go into a lot of detail here, to avoid spoilers, but I will just say that my heart BROKE for Jamie. His fear and pain made him vulnerable, and THAT made me love him when all his perfection could not. I'm not talking about fear of death, or physical pain from his injuries, I mean his fear of being with and being without Claire was causing him pain, and just watching him in so much agony tore my heart out.

So, the short answer would be that yes, I loved him, in the end.

I did enjoy the story, and might even read it again one day, but I don't think that I will continue the series. I think that this book on it's own was enough.

message 38: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Linda, Can you post your review for 20.2 please? :D Thanks!

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 278 comments Becky, I loved your review! And I was so glad that at the end you loved Jamie too :)

message 40: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Thank you Jennifer! I was kind of afraid, you know, because everyone is SO hard-core in love with him! I just thought that he was TOO perfect. LOL

:)

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 278 comments I have to admit that I am one of those women with the urge to swoon over Jamie :)

message 42: by Becky, Moddess (new)

LOL that's ok. Everyone has their own tastes... We can still be friends! ;) LOL

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 278 comments Good thing. I'd hate to end up in the stocks :D

message 44: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Haha!

message 45: by Jon (last edited Sep 19, 2009 06:41AM) (new)

Jon | 325 comments 14 more points please :)

5 Point Tasks

1) Set within the last 50 years. In the Time of the Butterflies
2) HF book set in Asia. An Artist of the Floating World
3) Read a book containing time travel to the past. The House on the Strand
4) Read a HF crime or mystery. The Godfather or Alias Grace or Snow Falling on Cedars
The Ghost Road/English Patient/The Great World

10 Point Tasks

1) HF book longer than 400 pages. Pope Joan A Novel
2) Read a book set in B.C. Pompeii 341 p 4 bonus points
3) Read a YA Historical Fiction. Across the Nightingale Floor
4) Read a book about a historical event that occurred in September, October, November or December, or a book that is appropriate for the season, like the Salem Witch Trials for October/Halloween, etc. The Agony and the Ecstasy A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo Sistine Chapel paintings first Exhibited Nov 1 1512
5) Read an HF book set in Africa. Roots

15 Point Tasks

1) Read a classic historical book : A Tale of Two Cities, Dickens 437p 6 bonus points
2) Read a HF book by an author who does not usually write HF.The Book Thief
Year Of Wonders
4) Read the first book of a big saga.Master and Commander
The Thorn Birds

20 Point Tasks

1) Read a second book by one of the authors used for another task.
The Remains of the Day
TBA
3) Read a HF recommended (or rated 5 stars) by someone NOT on your friends list. MBP 5stars Fingersmith
Queen Margot, or, Marguerite de Valois
5) Read a HF Group Read book during September, October, November or December. TBA

25 Point Bonus Task

The Pillars of the Earth

Bonus: 10
Total 35

message 46: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jon wrote: "14 more points please :) "

You got it, sir. :)

message 47: by Becky, Moddess (new)

New Leader Board:

Jenniger (Tudor): 35
Jon: 35
Me: 26
Linda: 23
Lyn: 19

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen for task 20.3. This book was recommended to me by several people in another of my groups and they all gave the book 5 stars. I, however, could only give it 3-5 stars. So that should add 24 points, correct? Total = 43.

message 49: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Lyn wrote: "Just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen for task 20.3. This book was recommended to me by several people in another of my groups and they all gave the book 5 s..."

I wasn't a huge fan of that one either Lyn. Don't feel bad!

message 50: by Becky, Moddess (new)

And we have a new leader:

Lyn: 43
Jenniger (Tudor): 35
Jon: 35
Me: 26
Linda: 23

« previous 1 3 4