Web Serial Fiction discussion

Favorite Serials

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frances (new)

Frances (mothindarkness) | 83 comments Mod
What are your favorite serial reads? Comic or text? What genre? Let's post the ones we love here.

Frances

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Piros | 4 comments Slightly Damned-- an excellent story-driven comedic webcomic in a fantasy setting.
DMFA-- another fantasy webcomic. Been around for ages, with unbelievable art evolution.
I haven't found any good webserials yet. Don't really know where to look.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Zoetewey | 18 comments Daniel, if you're looking for web serials, http://webfictionguide.com is a directory that lists them.

message 4: by Brad (new)

Brad | 1 comments I've been reading www.CapitalOffenseBook.com. It just started a couple of weeks ago. It's a good one.

Thechivalrousrogue | 4 comments I actually just started a science fiction web serial that's a couple chapters in. If you're looking for something to read I'm looking for readers! ;)

http://thechivalrousrogue.blogspot.com/

message 6: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve  (ggp-reads) | 5 comments Really liked Captive Prince by C S Pacat despite a rather cliche beginning. It got much more interesting after the first few chapters. It's turned into books and is no longer available as a web serial.

I'm up to Chapter 22 of SGL's Red Riding Hood, and like the re-imagined mix of fairy tale, fantasy, and regency romance. Original! Here's the link:

http://talesofthebigbadwolf.com/red-r...

message 7: by S.G. (new)

S.G. (s-girl) | 54 comments Captive Prince was pretty good. I just finished Volume 2 last week and I have to say that male/male romance isn't my thing but it was completely fascinating in the way it was set up. Better yet -- the political stuff was really dizzying and tense throughout. I'm really interested in picking up some of what CS Pacat recommends (and who she says are her favorite authors) simply because I suspect she likes thrillers as much as I do :D

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I love Monica S. Kuebler online ya vampire book series the blood magic saga at http://www.blood-magic.net . You can read all three of the books for free there and the author is one of the editors for rue morgue magazine. I'm a fan and am now reading book 3 which she launched in january of this year and is posting a chapter a week. The artwork is awesome too.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Hapka (chapka) | 4 comments My favorite serial is probably either Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers or Wilkie Collins' No Name.

They're usually published as volume editions these days, but both started out as serials, and you can read them in their original serial parts at Mousehold Words--see the shameless self-promotion forum for more details.

message 10: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 26 comments I enjoy the webcomic LFG and also a number of serials over on JukePop Serials. My favorite serials on JukePop (other than my own, of course ;-P) are Require: Cookie and Tales of Tails. All good stuff.

message 11: by C.A. (new)

C.A. Sanders Require: Cookie is great! I'll also recommend I Feel Fine and Hobson & Choi. There's some great stuff on JukePop

oh yeah, The Watchmage of Old New York is pretty good, though I hear the author is a jerk ;)

message 12: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 26 comments "oh yeah, The Watchmage of Old New York is pretty good, though I hear the author is a jerk ;) "

Haha! A self-deprecating jerk, no less, if you do say so yourself. ;-)

I've heard it's good too! And I've only read a handful of chapters, need to get back into it. How's the rest of your writing life treating you?

message 13: by S. (new)

S. Vest (sionan) My favorites are:
How to Break an Evil Curse
The Black Pearl
Retcontinuum
Tradecraft
MIkolo and Kate (of course, that one's mine & fun to write ;) )

Craig's is great and Hobson & Choi...I tend to go for more fantasy type/ time travel stuff so other than the 2 above, we have different lists.

message 14: by C.A. (new)

C.A. Sanders I'm in the process of novelizing the Watchmage story arcs. Each one gets its own novel, and I added more detail and subplots. The first one being looked at by some publishers now, but I'm starting to think that self-publishing is the way to go. My first novel doesn't sell well because its $6.95 (and $23.50 for a paperback copy!) I'd be more comfortable at half of that price. It doesn't matter how good a story is if no one's there to read it.

Virginia wrote: ""oh yeah, The Watchmage of Old New York is pretty good, though I hear the author is a jerk ;) "

Haha! A self-deprecating jerk, no less, if you do say so yourself. ;-)

I've heard it's good too! An..."

message 15: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 26 comments "I'm in the process of novelizing the Watchmage story arcs. Each one gets its own novel, and I added more detail and subplots. The first one being looked at by some publishers now, but I'm starting to think that self-publishing is the way to go. My first novel doesn't sell well because its $6.95 (and $23.50 for a paperback copy!) I'd be more comfortable at half of that price. It doesn't matter how good a story is if no one's there to read it."

Nice! Looking forward to when they come out!

Yeah, self pub prices are a little bit easier on the wallet.

I'm launching a kickstarter on Monday for the novelization of my Jukepop serial Blade's Edge. Have you considered doing the same for Watchmage? It's so popular I imagine you'd have a huge fan base to help you spread the word. And if the rewards are behind-the-scenesy enough I bet you can get support from plenty of people who have already read the whole thing. Just a thought.

Regardless, good luck with the project! And keep us updated! I'd love to know how it's going.

message 16: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 26 comments Ummm... sorry to everyone else for hijacking the thread a bit. Getting back on topic I started reading Hobson and Choi on Jukepop as well and am loving it.

message 17: by Michael (last edited Sep 27, 2014 07:18PM) (new)

Michael Monroe | 2 comments http://goddesscorrespondence.tumblr.com/ is my favorite one. He's just about done writing it, too, so it's a great time to get started. Awesome idea, story and characters, and it's interactive.

message 18: by Lucie (new)

Lucie | 3 comments Chris wrote: "My favorite serial is probably either Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers or Wilkie Collins' No Name.

They're usually published as volume editions these days, but both s..."

Love Dumas. I'd never heard of Wilkie Collins so thanks for the recommendation!