RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2018 Bonus Challenge(s)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heena (last edited Jan 08, 2018 02:42AM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2223 comments Mod
Hello RMFAO members,

This year we've decided to include Bonus Challenge to the list of our yearly challenges. Bonus Challenge is a challenge in which we give you a challenge in terms of some pre-decided specifications and you pick a book accordingly and read it. We'll be having one Bonus Challenge per month so you'll have enough time to get the book and read it accordingly. The challenge is completely open for creative interpretation, so feel free to do it as per your understanding.

To make it more fun, you can couple it with our other challenges like Genre Challenge or Classics Catchup and make this challenge more interesting.

Here's the list of all 12 challenges for 2018:

‣ January - Read a book with a popular expression for the title (eg. Gone With The Wind, Carry On, Catch-22)
‣ February - Read a book with a weapon on its cover
‣ March - Read a book on time travel
‣ April - Read a book with disability as a theme
‣ May - Start and finish a book on a weekend (or any 2 consecutive days of the week)
‣ June - Read a book with journal/diary entries (fiction or non-fiction)
‣ July - Read a book with illustrations of any kind
‣ August - Read a book with a female as the main character
‣ September - Read a book with striking typography on the cover
‣ October - Read a book with blood on its cover
‣ November - Read a book with a one-word title
‣ December - Read a fairy tale retelling

RMFAO GC18
You can download this image here: https://thereadingbud.com/wp-content/...

In order to participate, simply announce your participation here. Or if you have a blog just do a simple post announcing your participation and sharing details of the challenge (you can freely copy and paste from here) and leave the link here.

>> We encourage social shares, so if you'd be sharing or mentioning this challenge on your social media, don't forget to tag - #RMFAO and @thereadingbud <<

Other challenges that you can participate in are:
RMFAO 2018 Genre Challenge
RMFAO 2018 Classics Catchup
RMFAO 2018 NetGalley Challenge
RMFAO 2018 Series Challenge
RMFAO 2018 Audiobooks Challenge

You can also read blog posts relating to this challenge, other challenges or the group itself here: https://thereadingbud.com/rmfao/

For any queries, you can post a comment or send a message to the group or the mods any time. We'd love to hear from you!

All The Best and Happy Reading!

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3480 comments Mod
So far the only one I've thought of for January is The Winter of our Discontent by John Steinbeck. Not sure if I'll be in the mood for a Steinbeck in the next three weeks though, so I'll be on the lookout for other possibilities.

message 3: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 08, 2018 12:41PM) (new)

Cheryl | 2163 comments Mod
Dagny wrote: "So far the only one I've thought of for January is The Winter of our Discontent by John Steinbeck. Not sure if I'll be in the mood for a Steinbeck in the next three weeks though, so I'll be on the ..."

Dagny,

There are alot of mystery series/stand alones that have titles like this. Ruth Rendell has alot, but maybe you've already read those. I was just at my library looking at titles, and found some. I'm not even half way through Gone With the Wind yet, so I don't know if I'll be reading another Bonus Challenge book.

message 4: by Dagny (new)

I found a couple of more titles, but nothing really struck me. However I did start to find a lot of short stories. I may go with three short stories, two of which are science fiction:
The Evil Eye by Mary Shelley
Arm of the Law by Harry Harrison
Checkmate By Clark Ashton Smith

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

I am reading An Eye For An Eye by William Le Queux for the bonus challenge. It's a classic mystery found at Project Gutenberg here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41004

I might or might not finish Gone With the Wind in time to claim it for this challenge. (it's nearly 1,000 pages!)

message 6: by Dagny (new)

Oh, An Eye for an Eye! Good catch, Cheryl. I may try to fit that one in if I have time. I haven't read one of his books in ages. For mysteries back then by French authors, Gaboriau is my favorite, so I sort of always gravitate towards one of his instead.

message 7: by Dagny (new)

I ended up not finishing the Mary Shelley story "The Evil Eye," so just have the two. It simply didn't hold my interest and it was so confusing to me the way it was written.

Two short stories to count as one book: Arm of the Law by Harry Harrison and Checkmate By Clark Ashton Smith

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

1.) AN EYE FOR AN EYE (British Murder Mystery): Whodunit Classic by William Le Queux

2 stars. Sloppy writing, and a melodramatic romance ruin this mystery novel.

message 9: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "1.) AN EYE FOR AN EYE (British Murder Mystery): Whodunit Classic by William Le Queux

2 stars. Sloppy writing, and a melodramatic romance ruin this mystery novel."

Ah, too bad. Maybe that's why after reading a couple of books by Le Queux fifteen or so years ago, I switched to Gaboriau.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: " Ah, too bad. Maybe that's why after reading a couple of books by Le Queux fifteen or so years ago, I switched to Gaboriau.  "

I find that he's hit or miss. Some books are good, some bad. Oh well, at least I didn't have to pay to read it.

message 11: by Dagny (new)

Free is always a plus!

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

2.) Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

4 stars.

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "2.) Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

4 stars."

You did finish it!

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "2.) Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
You did finish it!"

Yes, and I'm proud I did. A good book, but I am exhausted from reading it. It makes you feel so many emotions! Now I want to read something lighter.

message 15: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 23, 2018 04:04PM) (new)

3.) A Bed of Roses by Walter Lionel George

3 stars. Surprisingly good, with quite a modern feel for a book written in 1911. It can be found at Project Gutenberg. My review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 16: by Dagny (new)

Great choice for this Challenge, Cheryl. Sounds good too. I may see if I can fit it in.

message 17: by Heena (last edited Jan 28, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

message 18: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 02, 2018 08:08AM) (new)

A Book With a Weapon on Its Cover (Feb. challenge):

I will be reading The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne.

You have to look close, but there are arrows through the word "Heart's" and in the author's name. This was a great coincidence, because I put this book on hold at my library and did not even know there were arrows on the cover. It worked out pretty well.

message 19: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "A Book With a Weapon on Its Cover (Feb. challenge):

I will be reading The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne.

You have to loo..."

What a coincedence, Cheryl! Hope you enjoy this one :)

message 20: by Dagny (new)

I've got The Hit (Will Robie, #2) by David Baldacci coming up. The woman is holding a gun.

message 21: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "I've got The Hit (Will Robie, #2) by David Baldacci coming up. The woman is holding a gun."

I'm starting to really like Mr Baldacci's writing, Dagny. Hope you'll enjoy this one!

message 22: by Heena (last edited Feb 02, 2018 11:10PM) (new)

One of the books I planned for Mystery/Thriller month has a weapon on it's alternate edition cover. I will be counting it as my copy is anyway an ARC so it doesn't have an edition assigned to it. :D
The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14) by Eric Van Lustbader - there's a gun in the man's hand.

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Dagny wrote: "I've got The Hit (Will Robie, #2) by David Baldacci coming up. The woman is holding a gun."

I'm starting to really like Mr Baldacci's writing, Dagny. Hope you'll enjoy this one!"

Thanks, Heena. I certainly did enjoy the first one in the series.

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "A Book With a Weapon on Its Cover (Feb. challenge):

I will be reading The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne."

Abandoning this one. It's just not for me.

message 25: by Dagny (new)

#1 for February
The Hit (Will Robie, #2) by David Baldacci

message 26: by Dagny (new)

#2 for February
Split Second (Sean King and Michelle Maxwell #1) by David Baldacci
Speeding Bullets on the cover

message 27: by Dagny (new)

#3 - Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple #3) by Carola Dunn
Poison on the cover

message 28: by Dagny (new)

#4 - that's poisoned coffee on the cover.
One Coffee With (Sigrid Harald, #1) by Margaret Maron
I'll have mine without, thank you, lol.

message 29: by Dagny (new)

This month's Bonus Challenge:
March - Read a book on time travel

I have a paperback of Time and Again

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "This month's Bonus Challenge:
March - Read a book on time travel

I have a paperback of Time and Again"

Oh, I forgot about the Bonus Challenge. I'll have to see what the library has for this.

message 31: by Dagny (new)

I should mention that the Time & Again I'm reading is the one my Clifford Simak and an unknown quantity. There is a book with the same title (although without the ampersand) Time and Again by Jack Finney which I've read twice and loved. I think you might like that one, Cheryl. It's also a favorite of Fred's.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "I should mention that the Time & Again I'm reading is the one my Clifford Simak and an unknown quantity. There is a book with the same title (although without the ampersand) [book:Time and Again|40..."

That's good to know!

message 33: by Dagny (new)

Giving up on Time and Again by Clifford D. Simak. I just can't get interested in it. I know I've enjoyed books by Simak in the past, but that was probably when I was reading a lot of science fiction.

I do have one other book which would qualify for time travel - it would be a reread of a book I loved because it featured Spock. Not sure if I'll have time to get to it.
Ishmael (Star Trek The Original Series, #23) by Barbara Hambly

message 34: by Dagny (new)

#1 for March, Time Travel - Ishmael by Barbara Hambly

message 35: by Dagny (new)

Our April Bonus Challenge is "Read a book with disability as a theme" and our current buddy read sort of fits.
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

message 36: by Cheryl (last edited Apr 07, 2018 09:21PM) (new)

April Challenge: I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios. 3 stars. Features a main character who's a young Marine disabled in Afghanistan.

message 37: by Dagny (new)

The Bonus Challenge for May is:
Start and finish a book on a weekend (or any 2 consecutive days of the week)

message 38: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Dagny wrote: "The Bonus Challenge for May is:
Start and finish a book on a weekend (or any 2 consecutive days of the week)"

Ooooo I up for this gunna try I gather I can start anytime of the consecutive days.

message 39: by Cheryl (new)

May Challenge: Read over 2 Consecutive Days

1.) Lost Horizon by James Hilton

message 40: by Cheryl (new)

May Challenge: Read over 2 Consecutive Days

2.) Camille by Alexandre Dumas fils

message 41: by Dagny (new)

Good going, Cheryl. I'm wondering how many you'll have!

message 42: by Cheryl (new)

May Challenge: Read Over 2 Consecutive Days

3.) The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

message 43: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "Good going, Cheryl. I'm wondering how many you'll have!"

I'm purposely picking out the shorter classics so they can also fit the May Bonus Challenge.

message 44: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I changed Howard’s end for Treasure Island started Thursday completed Friday ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 45: by Dagny (new)

Good for you two, Cheryl and Joanne! I still have the grand total of one. I guess it would help if I wasn't usually reading three or four books concurrently, lol.

I'm hoping to get one done this weekend. Not a classic though, but a mystery. The next for me in William Kent Krueger's series - Red Knife. It's just over 300 pages, but a library book that's due next week.

message 46: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "Good for you two, Cheryl and Joanne! I still have the grand total of one. I guess it would help if I wasn't usually reading three or four books concurrently, lol...."

Dagny,

I know how that is. Sometimes I've had 3 "holds" come in at my library at the same time. The month is still young, so there's plenty of time for you to add to the Bonus Challenge.

message 47: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Dagny wrote: "Good for you two, Cheryl and Joanne! I still have the grand total of one. I guess it would help if I wasn't usually reading three or four books concurrently, lol.

I'm hoping to get one done this w..."

Try as I may not to have more than two as a minimum to read at the same time, that never happens. Especially audiobooks. 😂 I ❤️📚 📣

message 48: by Dagny (new)

Joanne wrote: "Try as I may not to have more than two as a minimum to read at the same time, that never happens. Especially audiobooks. 😂 I ❤️📚 📣 "

I hear that, Joanne! Audio book, purse book, group read book plus either one or two more - a main book and in the case recently, my main book is one of those huge doorstoppers and a hardback, way to heavy to read in bed, so I have to have a nightstand book. For today and tomorrow though, I am ignoring main book and nightstand book, and concentrating on the mystery. Didn't start a new audio book yesterday either, so that is clear.

message 49: by Cheryl (new)

4.) The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

message 50: by Dagny (new)

1. Red Knife (Cork O'Connor #8) by William Kent Krueger
Whew! Good thing it was exciting - although it started off slowly. Back to normal now and reading multiple books at the same time.

« previous 1