Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Brideshead Revisited: The Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder
This topic is about Brideshead Revisited
Policies & Practices > What publisher to choose? Book club plus regular publisher

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diniz Bortolotto | 14 comments I have a doubt about the correct publisher to use in some books published by a book club in conjunction with another publishers.

Let me explain:
We have a book, for instance, like the Brideshead Revisited that was published now in Brazil by a book club named "TAG Experiências Literárias" in conjunction with the publisher named "Companhia das Letras" that has the copyrights. The book is not sell outside of the club and is a exclusive edition.

What is the best choice to name the publisher in Goodreads?
a) TAG Experiências Literárias
b) Companhia das Letras
c) TAG Experiências Literárias / Companhia das Letras

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 34936 comments Mod
What does the copyright page say?

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 476 comments How about if you put the actual publisher in the publisher field and use the "edition" field for the book club.

Diniz Bortolotto | 14 comments rivka wrote: "What does the copyright page say?"

Hi rivka! Like I commented before, the copyrights are owned by "Companhia das Letras" but, if you search for that edition in their site for instance, you'll not find that specific edition.
Only readers associated with the book club receive that edition and if you search blogs/vlogs or ask for readers most likely will say that "TAG Experiências Literárias" is the publisher.

Diniz Bortolotto | 14 comments Betsy wrote: "How about if you put the actual publisher in the publisher field and use the "edition" field for the book club."

Hi Betsy! What you mean with "actual publisher"? Who own the copyrights or who made that book happen? :-)
Thanks for suggestion!

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

My question is not who owns the copyright, but what the actual copyright page of the actual book says.

I have multiple books from one book club, and some have the regular publisher listed as publisher and then say that they were distributed by the club; others have the book club listed as the publisher (often "by license with [publisher]"). I would not list books from the first scenario the same as ones from the second scenario.

Diniz Bortolotto | 14 comments rivka wrote: "My question is not who owns the copyright, but what the actual copyright page of the actual book says.

I have multiple books from one book club, and some have the regular publisher listed as publi..."

Hi rivka!
Sorry my bad. Where I wrote about the copyright owner, I was also referring to copyrights page. In that page the book club is not mentioned.
The book club appears in title page and back cover only by its logo. And, a colophon at the end says: This book was prepared by *book club* in partnership with the *copyright owner*.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

In that scenario, I agree with Betsy. The actual publisher is then clearly the same as for other editions (Companhia das Letras) and should be listed as such. Book club information (TAG Experiências Literárias) can be noted in the edition field.

Diniz Bortolotto | 14 comments Thanks a lot rivka.

So, if I clearly understood, the information in copyright page must be preferred over the common use from readers in that case.

Just another thing, I've tried to correct the publisher in another book that is wrong, accordingly that undestanding, and received this message: "Your permissions will only allow the editing of the metadata."

I wanna help.
So, how could I ask for permissions or be a authorized librarian?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

If you link the specific edition, I or another librarian can make the correction. But please start a new thread in Book Issues, as this folder is for policies, rather than specific things needing fixing.

As far as your last question, please see https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/1...