Writing Passionates discussion

Read my Story/Story Help > Dead Stories

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) This is where you try and comfort a fellow writer who let her first attempt at a novel die.
I let it just fade, putting it off longer and longer and now I have absolutely no inspiration! I think it is time to abandon it and let it fend for itself until there comes a time that I can be brave enough to pick up a pen again.

Do you ever let your stories die?
Do your stories ever take flight on phoenix wings and become reborn?
Or am I just that one little failure among a million brilliant gems?
(can you tell I'm feeling poetic right now? :])

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 16 comments Kritika, don't give up. I let years pass between the first idea/plan and actually working on my story. I thought of giving up, thought of walking away from it, but it was a dream...and recent experience made me realize that giving up on a dream is worse then failing at a dream.

You have to decide how much does writing means to you...then you have to accept that things are not always going to go smooth, or go the way you want. Be patient.

message 3: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) Ellen wrote: "Kritika, don't give up. I let years pass between the first idea/plan and actually working on my story. I thought of giving up, thought of walking away from it, but it was a dream...and recent exper..."

Thank you, Ellen! Don't worry, I won't stop writing. I guess I'll just write other stories to keep my creative juices flowing until I can get back to the unfinished one.

message 4: by Bailey (new)

Bailey I can usually only make it through one or two chapters before my stories die. But there is a difference between writers block and a dead story.

message 5: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 2205 comments Mod
Err . . . I have tons of dead stories! But I plan on rekindling . . . :)

message 6: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 2205 comments Mod
Yesh, I am :) Missed you. How's the writing?

message 7: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
I've let a few stories die that I was pretty excited about. But I just lost motivation. I haven't worked on them in so long... it's hard to remember what your plans were sometimes.

message 8: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
i almost never let stories die ... sometimes i'll leave a story alone for like a year, but i try not to give up on anything. >< lol

message 9: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 22 comments Kritika,

Don't give up. Writing is not easy and you know what - that's a good thing.

A writer will never build muscles, if a writer never picks up weights.

A story is not dead, unless it doesn't have a pulse. Thoughts may not always be present, but give it time. You'll be surprise where inspiration will come from. When you see it, ride the wave.

You can do it. Believe in yourself. If a writer doesn't believe in themselves, they will never stand.

message 10: by Hope (new)

Hope Roni wrote: "I've let a few stories die that I was pretty excited about. But I just lost motivation. I haven't worked on them in so long... it's hard to remember what your plans were sometimes. "

I feel exactly the smae way and I've done the same thing so many times I can't even count! I was so psyched about them and then I got my friends so excited about them, then I stopped...

message 11: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi Thank you Arch! I needed to hear something like that! I've got a story that I have some Ideas for, but haven't been able to continue on for a while. I just came up with an idea today, so I'll be writing again soon! I hope you go look at my writing folder btw!

message 12: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 22 comments DragonEyes now has a blog, Check it out! wrote: "Thank you Arch! I needed to hear something like that! I've got a story that I have some Ideas for, but haven't been able to continue on for a while. I just came up with an idea today, so I'll be wr..."

I will DragonEyes now has a blog, check it out. Where is it?

message 13: by Koori no hi (last edited Oct 22, 2009 03:14PM) (new)

Koori no hi um, a link to my blog or to my writing folder? Here's one to my writing: http://www.goodreads.com/story/list/1...
The link to my blog is in my profile, which is open so anyone can go in and look at my profile if you want to.

message 14: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 22 comments DragonEyes now has a blog, Check it out! wrote: "um, a link to my blog or to my writing folder? Here's one to my writing: http://www.goodreads.com/story/list/1...
The link to my blog is in my profile, which is open so anyone can go in and look..."

Thanks, I'll check your writing folder, when I get a chance.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 02, 2009 01:54PM) (new)

Kritika wrote: "This is where you try and comfort a fellow writer who let her first attempt at a novel die.
I let it just fade, putting it off longer and longer and now I have absolutely no inspiration! I think ..."

I've let lots of stories die. Look at my writing if you want proof. I just felt like lots of them were too crappy anyways, and I didn't want to write in them. If I was sick of writing something, why keep writing in it? Someone in another group said you write for yourself; you don't write for others. That was the only incentive I needed. Haha.