Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Level 2: Mount Blanc (24 books) > Bethany’s Mount Blanc TBR Climb

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bethany (last edited Jan 03, 2018 02:49PM) (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 7 comments I’ve tried for two years now to complete a climb, but have failed each time. Primarily, this is because I do other challenges that take priority. This year, this is the ONLY challenge that I’m doing because I MUST decrease the number of my pile. I fully expect to go above the height of Mount Blanc, but since that was the mountain I did not successfully climb last year, this is where I’m starting!

I decided to begin my trek by reading through my physical books first, as well as two series of books that I purchased several years ago on my Kindle. Here is a link to my shelf, in case anyone is interested in what I plan to read. I will add comments in this topic as I complete books on my list. Can’t wait to get started!!!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 2: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 7 comments The first series of physical books that I will be reading are the Sunfire books from the 80’s. I read a few of these as a teenager, but most of them I did not own (borrowed from library), and over half of them I didn’t read at all. Last summer, I was nostalgic for a few that I had read, and purchased the entire series on eBay. Those that I have read multiple times I have not counted for this challenge; only those that I only read once as a borrowed book or did not read at all.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Have a great reading time!

message 4: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 7 comments Reading update:

The Christmas Bus - Melody Carlson
Sweet Reunion - Melanie Shawn
Sweet Harmonies - Melanie Shawn
Caroline - Willo Davis Roberts
Kathleen - Candice Ransom
Marilee - Mary Francis Shura

I was feeling really far behind, but looking at this, I only need to read two for April to be on pace! I can do it!!

I really enjoyed The Christmas Bus. It was a quick read and I read it right after the holidays. I think I could make reading that an annual thing, in honor of Christmas.

I had to give up on reading more of the Hope Falls series (books by Melanie Shawn). I bought almost the entire series because I really liked the 8th book in the series that I got for free. Eventually I will read them, but if I want to get to the top of Mount Blanc, I'm going to have to mix it up more!

Really enjoying the Sunfire books (the ones with one girl's name as the title). Although they are YA historical romances, they are really fun to read, and you learn a lot about significant historical events/time periods in American history.

The next two books I'm going to read for April are Laura (another Sunfire) and The Astronaut's Wives Club. I LOVED the TV series that was based on the book, so I think I should be able to fly through that.

message 5: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 7 comments I got my two books for April read! Yay!

The first one was The Astronauts Wives Club by Lily Koppel. I read this as part of #deweys24hourreadathon last weekend, and it was the perfect way to end the readathon for me. I really enjoy books about space exploration anyway, and I had loved the TV miniseries that was based on this book. There was just enough extra information for me to stay truly interested, and in general it was so cool to see what was happening to the families of the men who signed up for the program. I would recommend this as a great read for anyone interested in the topic and anyone who enjoys history in general.

My second book for April was Just Shy of Harmony by Philip Gulley. This is the second in his Harmony series, which follows the pastor and the congregation of a Quaker church. Although I enjoyed the book, I didn't care for it as much as I did the first one. I grew up in a household where my father was a Lutheran minister, and so I could identify very strongly with the struggles that go along with this calling. However, I just found that the negativity and pettiness of the members of this church to be disheartening this time around. They did redeem themselves in the end, so I will be reading the next one (especially since I own in already!), unlike the other series I started out reading for this challenge (Hope Falls series by Melanie Shawn).

Here's to a productive month of May!

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 7 comments I haven't updated this in a LONG time, so here is a list of the books that I have read that qualified for my list:

Megan (Sunfire#16) - Vivian Schurfranz
Sabrina (Sunfire #17) - Candice Ransom
If the Creek Don't Rise - Leah Weiss
McGill's Legal Aspects of Life Insurance - Edward Graves (UGH)
Laura (Sunfire #10) - Vivian Schurfranz
Sweet Victory (Hope Falls #3) - Malanie Shawn
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
The Giver - Lois Lowry
The Kind Worth Killing - Peter Swanson
Signs and Wonders - Philip Gulley
The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein
Emily (Sunfire #11) - Candice Ransom
Jacquelyn (Sunfire #12) - Jeffie Ross Gordon

Best book of the group was The Art of Racing in the Rain.
I'm at 21 out of 24, so I'll be using this month to complete it! Excited to hit this accomplishment this year!!

message 7: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Great job!

message 8: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 7 comments Finished two more books: Veronica (Sunfire #18) and Nicole (Sunfire #19). I enjoyed both them; Veronica was about Pearl Harbor and Nicole was about the Titanic voyage.

I have one more book to complete the challenge and it's a Christmas book! I'm planning to start it today, and the goal is to finish it today as well!

I've already signed up to do the 2019 Mount TBR challenge, and I'm jumping up to the Kiliminjaro level (60), as I have purchased a stupid amount of books this year. Check out my topic over on the new 2019 goal site for more details. Good luck to anyone looking at this that is still counting down their challenge, and congrats to anyone who has already completed theirs!

message 9: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 7 comments I did it!! WOO HOO!!!!

And I saved the best book for last: The Christmas Joy Ride by Melody Carlson. I read this book in two hours and thoroughly enjoyed it. The book follows an older lady as she crosses the US in an RV and spreads Christmas cheer to those who needed it. There is, of course, a subplot but I don't want to give everything away. Needless to say, I would recommend it to anyone needing a pick-me-up and may even start a tradition of reading this every year!

See you in 2019, my fellow Mount TBR'rs!!!!

message 10: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Great job finishing your challenge!

message 11: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Gret job and congrats on reaching the top!