2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Kiawi's 55 books in 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiawi (last edited Jan 02, 2019 09:30AM) (new)

Kiawi | 90 comments So I'll try again with 55 books. Last year I did it barely and had a short story and two comic books among the 55 I've read, so this year I'll try it with full books.

So here are the covers of all the books that I read in 2018:
Joyland by Stephen King Looking for Alaska by John Green The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas Morte by Robert Repino Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. Bick Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1) by Renée Ahdieh Der Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli People Like Us by Dana Mele All Out The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens throughout the Ages by Saundra Mitchell Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah The Ballad of the Sad Café by Carson McCullers Ōkami (Flame in the Mist, #1.25) by Renée Ahdieh Yumi (Flame in the Mist, #1.75) by Renée Ahdieh Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2) by Renée Ahdieh Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward Midnight at the Electric by Jodi Lynn Anderson Bitch Doctrine Essays for Dissenting Adults by Laurie Penny Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2) by Becky Albertalli Hausaufgaben by Jakob Arjouni The Exact Opposite of Okay by Laura Steven Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman From Twinkle, with Love by Sandhya Menon Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1) by Tracy Banghart When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman S.T.A.G.S by M.A. Bennett Wildcard (Warcross, #2) by Marie Lu Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) by John Tiffany Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1) by Holly Black Vicious (Villians #1) by V.E. Schwab Warm Up (Villains, #0.5) by V.E. Schwab Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata

And the cover of the books I read in 2017:
Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1) by Jeff VanderMeer During the Dance by Mark Lawrence No Virgin by Anne Cassidy Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes This Is Our Story by Ashley Elston Uprooted by Naomi Novik Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1) by Jackson Pearce Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2) by Kendare Blake Watership Down (Watership Down, #1) by Richard Adams The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Martian by Andy Weir The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner Nasty Women by 404 Ink Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Textrovert by Lindsey Summers The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun David Hutchinson HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams The Pier Falls by Mark Haddon The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath & the Dawn, #1) by Renée Ahdieh Warcross (Warcross, #1) by Marie Lu Moonrise by Sarah Crossan Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1) by Brian K. Vaughan Saga, Vol. 2 (Saga, #2) by Brian K. Vaughan Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1) by Mackenzi Lee The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2) by Renée Ahdieh Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur Animal Farm A Fairy Story by George Orwell Die unheimliche Bibliothek by Haruki Murakami Eating Animals  by Jonathan Safran Foer

message 2: by Kiawi (last edited Jan 02, 2019 09:39AM) (new)

Kiawi | 90 comments 2018 Personal Reading Challenge

January 1st - January 31st

1. Joyland
2. Looking for Alaska
3. The Nowhere Girls
4. Dangerous Girls

Reading but didn't finish:
Ashes
Mort(e)

February 1st - February 28th

5. Mort(e)
6. Moxie
7. Ashes

The Lies of Locke Lamora
Bitch Doctrine: Essays for Dissenting Adults

March 1st - March 31st

8. Flame in the Mist
9. Steppenwolf

The Lies of Locke Lamora
All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens Throughout the Ages

April 1st - April 30th

None.

The Lies of Locke Lamora
All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens Throughout the Ages

May 1st - May 31st

10. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
11. People Like Us
12. All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens Throughout the Ages
13. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

The Lies of Locke Lamora
Undead Girl Gang

June 1st - June 30th

14. Undead Girl Gang
15. The Lies of Locke Lamora
16. Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
17. The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories
18. Okami
19. Yumi
20. Smoke in the Sun

Sing, Unburied, Sing

July 1st - July 31st

21. Sing, Unburied, Sing
22. Midnight at the Electric
23. Bitch Doctrine: Essays for Dissenting Adults
24. Leah on the Offbeat
25. Hausaufgaben
26. The Exact Opposite of Okay
27. Scythe

Jane Eyre
From Twinkle, with Love

August 1st - August 31st

28. From Twinkle, with Love

Jane Eyre
Grace and Fury

September 1st - September 30th

29. Grace and Fury
30. When Dimple Met Rishi
31. Illuminae

Jane Eyre

October 1st - October 31st

32. S.T.A.G.S

Jane Eyre
Gemina
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
Wildcard

November 1st - November 30th

33. Wildcard
34. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
35. GeminaVengeful
36. The Cruel Prince
37. Vicious
38. Warm Up

Jane Eyre
Vengeful

December 1st - December 31st

39. Convenience Store Woman

Jane Eyre
Vengeful

message 3: by Kiawi (last edited Jan 02, 2019 09:34AM) (new)

Kiawi | 90 comments A to Z Challenge - 2018

Read a book for each letter of the alphabet. You can use ANY of the first letters of the main words in a title of a book (don't use words like "a", "the", "or", and "of").

19/26 completed.

A: Ashes
B: Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
C: Convenience Store Woman
D: Dangerous Girls
E: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
F: Flame in the Mist
G: Grace and Fury
H: Hausaufgaben
I: Illuminae
J: Joyland
K:
L: Leah on the Offbeat
M: Mort(e)
N:
O: Okami
P: People Like Us
Q: All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens Throughout the Ages
R:
S: Scythe
T:
U: Undead Girl Gang
V:
W: Wildcard
X:
Y: Yumi
Z:

message 4: by Kiawi (last edited Nov 05, 2018 08:59AM) (new)

Kiawi | 90 comments I'd have loved to do a colour challenge this year as I did last year - it looks just awesome - but unfortunately I'd never be able to get it done this year. So maybe I'll try again next year. Below you can see my last colour challenge in 2017.

Colour Challenge 2017

The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde Nasty Women by 404 Ink The Martian by Andy Weir The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli Moonrise by Sarah Crossan Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody Watership Down (Watership Down, #1) by Richard Adams Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams The Pier Falls & Other Stories by Mark Haddon The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2) by Renee Ahdieh Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

message 5: by Kiawi (last edited Jan 02, 2019 09:34AM) (new)

Kiawi | 90 comments Popsugar Reading Challenge 2018

I'll try as many as possible until the end of the year, but I'll start with 15 books as my goal and maybe up it later.

15/15 completed.

1. A book made into a movie you’ve already seen
2. True crime
3. The next book in a series you started
4. A book involving a heist: The Lies of Locke Lamora
5. Nordic noir
6. A novel based on a real person
7. A book set in a country that fascinates you: Smoke in the Sun
8. A book with a time of day in the title: Midnight at the Electric
9. A book about a villain or antihero: Vicious
10. A book about death or grief: Sing, Unburied, Sing
11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym
12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
13. A book that is also a stage play or musical: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
14. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you: From Twinkle, with Love
15. A book about feminism: Bitch Doctrine: Essays for Dissenting Adults
16. A book about mental health
17. A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift
18. A book by two authors: Gemina
19. A book about or involving a sport: S.T.A.G.S
20. A book by a local author
21. A book with your favorite color in the title
22. A book with alliteration in the title
23. A book about time travel
24. A book with a weather element in the title
25. A book set at sea
26. A book with an animal in the title
27. A book set on a different planet
28. A book with song lyrics in the titles
29. A book about or set in Halloween
30. A book with characters who are twins: The Cruel Prince
31. A book mentioned in another book
32. A book from a celebrity book club
33. A childhood classic you’ve never read
34. A book that’s published in 2018: The Exact Opposite of Okay
35. A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner
36. A book set in the decade you were born
37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn’t get to
38. A book with an ugly cover: Looking for Alaska
39. A book that involves a bookstore or a library
40. You favorite prompt from the 2015, 2016, 2017 PopSugar Reading Challenges

Advanced
41. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school
42. A cyberpunk book
43. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place
44. A book tied to your ancestry
45. A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title
46. An allegory
47. A book by an author with the same first or last name as you
48. A microhistory
49. A book about a problem facing society today: The Nowhere Girls
50. A book recommended by someone else taking the PopSugar Reading Challenge

message 6: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12013 comments Wishing you the best of luck with your goal this year.

message 7: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Kiawi wrote: "So I'll try again with 55 books. Last year I did it barely and had a short story and two comic books among the 55 I've read, so this year I'll try it with full books.
..."

Good luck with your 55 books Kiawi! May you discover some amazing reads along the way!

message 8: by Kiawi (last edited Jan 23, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Kiawi | 90 comments Thank you very much! I hope I'll be able to reach my goal, maybe even surpass it.

message 9: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12013 comments You are doing great! Hoping March is a smashing success for you.

message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12013 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12013 comments You are doing great! I hope May is a fantastic month filled with books and sunshine!

message 12: by Kiawi (new)

Kiawi | 90 comments Didn't reach my goal of 55 books. Try again in 2019. ;)