Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Val's 2018 Expanding Plan

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (last edited Dec 24, 2018 03:45PM) (new)

Valerie | 357 comments ✓1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title Betrayal Of Trust by Jance; ✓Madame Sibyl's First Client by Locke; ✓ Saving Septic Cyril: The Illegal Gardener Part II by Alexi

✓2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list : The Invention of Wings by Kidd; ✓ The Museum of Mysteries by Berry and Rose

✓3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards: Before We Were Yours by Wingate; ✓✓ Sourdough by Sloan

✓4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...): A Sand County Almanac by Leopold

✓ 5. A book about or inspired by real events: ✓ Exit West by Mohsin Hamid; ✓ Border Songs by Lynch; ✓ Paris Time Capsule by Carey

✓6. A book originally written in a language other than English: The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism by Higashida; ✓ A Man Called Ove by Backmann

✓7. A gothic novel: The Night Circus by Morgenstern

✓8. An "own voices" book*: The Joy Luck Club by Tan; V Meddling and Murder by Yu

✓9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc): Their Eyes Were Watching God by Hurston

✓10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published): The Help by Stockett

✓11. A literary fiction The Remains of the Day by Ishiguro; ✓ The Alchemist by Coelho

✓12. A book set in Africa or South America: O, Africa!: A Novel by Conn; ✓ The House of Unexpected Sisters by McCall Smith, ✓ The Handsome Man’s Deluxe Cafe by McCall Smith

✓ 13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc): Greenglass House by Milford; ✓ The Wedding Date by Stoneley; ✓ The Tuscan Child by Bowen

✓14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America by Egan

15. A book with a unique format/writing structure: S. by Abrams/Dorst, and ✓ Hopscotch: A Novel by Cortezar

✓16. A narrative nonfiction: Over Strand and Field: A Record of Travel through Brittany by Flaubert; ✓ The Tenth Island by Marcum

✓17. A book you expect to make you laugh: I Still Dream About You by Flagg; ✓Gertrude, Gumshoe: Murder at Goodwill by Merrill

✓18. A book with a location in the title A Gentleman in Moscow by Towles; ✓ Journey to Munich by Winspear; ✓ P.S. from Paris by Levy

✓19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grandmaster author: Breakdown by Paretsky; ✓ Hardball by Paretsky

✓20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends: Cannery Row by Steinbeck

✓ 21. A book written in first person perspective: Pierced by the Sun by Esquivel; ✓ The Little Perfume Shop on the Champs-Elysees by Raisin

✓22. A book you have high expectations or hope for: The Luck of the Bodkins by Wodehouse; ✓ The Bookseller by Swanson

✓ 23. A medical or legal thriller: A Case of Need by Hudson/Crichton

✓24. A book with a map: Solving the Puzzle Under the Sea by Burleigh; also: ✓To the Bright Edge of the World by Ivey.

✓25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view: WILD CARD-Reader's Choice: The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Selznick

✓ 26. A book with a text-only cover: Winesburg, Ohio; a group of tales of Ohio small town life by Anderson

✓ 27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc): ✓ Hum If You Don’t Know the Words by Marais; ✓Just One Damned Thing After Another by Taylor

✓28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water: The Piano Raft by Alexi

✓29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench): Armed and Fabulous by Chafer; ✓ Do Not Go Gentle by Larmer

✓30. A short book: Painting with O'Keeffe by Poling; ✓Gertrude, Gumshoe and the Vardsale Villain by Merrill

✓ 31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to: The Forgotten Garden by Morton; ✓The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra by Khan

✓ 32. An alternate history book: Island in the Sea of Time by Stirling

✓ 33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you: The Stranger by Camus

✓34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call: (Art) Wynn Bullock: Revelations by Abbott

✓35. A book featuring a murder: X by Grafton; ✓ An Expert in Murder by Upson; ✓ Introducing Gertrude Gumshoe by Merrill

✓36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before: The Library of Lost Things by Bright
✓ Magpie Murders by Horowitz

✓37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee: The Tiger's Wife: A Novel by Obreht.

✓ 38. A science book or a science fiction book: Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence--and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process by Pepperberg; ✓ Neverwhere by Gaiman

✓39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title: The Beekeeper's Apprentice by King; ✓ Bowl of Fruit(1907) by Cacoyannis

✓ *40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list: The Phantom Tollbooth by Juster

✓41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials: Iced by Clark

✓42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater: The Minnow Leads to Treasure by Pearce

✓43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence: My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Backman

✓44. A ghost story: Loving Day by Johnson; ✓ Ghosts of Greenglass House by Milford

✓45. A book that intimidates/ scares you: White Oleander by Fitch

✓ 46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air: Caesar's Last Breath: Decoding the Secrets of the Air Around Us by Kean

✓ 47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own: Indian Killer by Sherman; ✓ Mislaid by Zink

✓48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth): The Dead of August by Cacoyannis

✓ 49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists: The Miniaturist by Burton

✓50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer): Pieces of Happiness: A Novel of Friendship, Hope, and Chocolate by Ostby; ✓ Little Beach Street Bakery by Colgan

✓51. An award-winning short story or short story collection What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours by Oyeyemi

✓52. A book published in 2018: The Grave's a Fine and Private Place by Bradley; ✓The Plastic Magician by Holmberg

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I love The Night Circus. Greenglass House is also on my TBR for this year, I hope we'll enjoy it :)

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 357 comments Thanks for your comments, Zaz. Last year I found myself reading other books that qualified for the list, but did nothing about them. So this year I renamed my list: Val's 2018 Expanding Plan. I have added two additional books, so far! Fun, fun, fun!

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2216 comments I'm reading The Help for debut novel too! Loved Before We Were Yours and All the Light We Cannot See. Enjoy!

message 5: by Valerie (last edited Dec 24, 2018 03:44PM) (new)

Valerie | 357 comments Zaz wrote: "I love The Night Circus. Greenglass House is also on my TBR for this year, I hope we'll enjoy it :)"

I read the Greenglass House. I loved it. I am now reading Ghosts of Greenglass House, which is just as engrossing.

message 6: by Zaz (last edited Feb 19, 2018 11:54PM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Great, 2 good books is nice for a series :)