The "Intentional" Christian Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Reading Plans > Reneés Intentional reading plan 2018

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee (rays_reeds) | 18 comments I plan to read at least 13 Christian books - I have started creating my list below. The 2018 topic list:
1. A book about Prayer. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
2. A book about Forgiveness
3. A book by a Christian conference speaker.
4. A book by or about a Pastor's wife.
5. A Christian Novel.
6. A Christian Non¬Fiction book. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...
7. A Memoir.
8. A book on the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association (ECPA) Awards list.
9. A book by or about a missionary.
10. A book by C.S. Lewis.
11. A book with the word "Gospel" in the title.
12. A book about Christian Living. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
13. A book someone tells you "Changed My Life".
14. A book by your Favorite Christian Author.
15. A book on Marriage https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...
16. A book longer than 400 pages.
17. A book you own but have never read. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
18. A book about a current controversial issue.
19. A book with a one¬word title.
20. A book more than 100 years old or takes place more than 100 years ago.
21. A book published in 2017 or 2018.
22. A book your Pastor recommends.
23. A book recommended by a Christian Friend.
24. A book about Joy or Happiness. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
25. A book whose title comes from a Bible Verse.
26. A book on Theology.
27. A book by an Indie Christian Author.
28. A book on Christian Growth.
29. A book about Church or a specific Church.
30. A book with Heaven in the title.
31. A Christian Romance novel.
32. A book about Christian Persecution.
33. A book on Spiritual Warfare.
34. A Wilbur Award winning book.
35. A book about a Religious Cult.
36. A Christian Dystopian book.
37. A book about Biblical Prophecy.
38. A book by a Christian Author you've never read before.
39. A book that was a Christy Award winner.
40. A book on any of the Goodreads Christian book lists.
41. A Christian science fiction/fantasy book.
42. A book on depression or how to help a friend/family member who suffers from depression.
43. A Christian fiction book with a beautiful cover.
44. A book with 100 pages or less.
45. A historical Christian book.
46. A Historical Christian Fiction book. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...
47. A book on Evangelism.
48. A book about a Faith different than yours.
49. A book with God in the title. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
50. A book with Jesus or Christ in the title.
51. A book of the Bible. Isaiah
52. A book of your choice. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 2: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments Nice list! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on "Earthen Vessels." I added that to my TBR list.

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee (rays_reeds) | 18 comments Hope wrote: "Nice list! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on "Earthen Vessels." I added that to my TBR list."

Thank you! I look forward to adding more to my list as time allows, I will keep you posted.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments The fact Hope and Renee added "Earthen Vessels" attracts me to it. I'll watch for a review from someone, and potentially join you. Thanks.

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee (rays_reeds) | 18 comments Eric wrote: "The fact Hope and Renee added "Earthen Vessels" attracts me to it. I'll watch for a review from someone, and potentially join you. Thanks."
You could always read it along with us :-)

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments Renee wrote: "Eric wrote: "The fact Hope and Renee added "Earthen Vessels" attracts me to it. I'll watch for a review from someone, and potentially join you. Thanks."
You could always read it along with us :-)"

Thanks for the prompting. I just finished my first official read and I'll order it from Amazon tonight. Good thought.

message 7: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments Renee, I'd love to read it at the same time you do. I just found out I can get it from my Michigan library (audio version) so I can listen to it here in Brazil.

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee (rays_reeds) | 18 comments Hope wrote: "Renee, I'd love to read it at the same time you do. I just found out I can get it from my Michigan library (audio version) so I can listen to it here in Brazil."
Let me know when you get it

message 9: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments I'll check it out whenever you start yours. With digital books, I've not had to wait in line.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee (rays_reeds) | 18 comments Hope wrote: "I'll check it out whenever you start yours. With digital books, I've not had to wait in line."
Hi, Hope, I began reading the book Earthen Vessels yesterday but decided to quit reading after the second chapter. I do not give negative ratings for books unless I read them to the end, so this book will not have a rating from me. I hope you are able to enjoy the book and can give positive feedback.

Have a great day!

message 11: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments Can you tell me why you gave up? Was it boring? Unbiblical?

message 12: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments Hope wrote: "Can you tell me why you gave up? Was it boring? Unbiblical?"

I, too, ordered hoping to join you guys. I'm very interested in both Renee's reason for abandoning the book and Hope's immediate reaction. I should have mine in a couple of days.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee (rays_reeds) | 18 comments Hope wrote: "Can you tell me why you gave up? Was it boring? Unbiblical?"

I felt like I was reading someone's dissertation with an excessive amount of quotes. It could not keep my attention.

message 14: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments Okay. Thanks for letting me know.

message 15: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments I got Earthen Vessels and put it aside to pick up some "light" reading that frankly wasn't good. Perhaps, it's because I had such a low expectation based on our prior discussion, or maybe it's because I just finished two dull books, but I picked up Earthen Vessels and thought the first chapter was fine.
Are you interested in trying again, Renee? And have you started yet, Hope? If not I'll trudge on and report back when I finish, or throw in the towel with you when I get bogged down. Let me know. I'd prefer to have someone to share the experience with and discuss the book along the way.

message 16: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments Eric, I sent you my other message before reading this one. Yes, I'm interested. How long are the chapters? Can we set a page number goal per week? or is that too fussy?

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments All dozen chapters appear to be 15-20 pages packed in small print; equivalent to 25 pages of normal reading. Renee indicated it might get pretty academic or employ excessive references, so I don't know how that fares in. I only read the first chapter and the premise seems to be the body is the vehicle God provides for a journey through this life. "Ohel", for body, means tent in Hebrew, so I like that.
I'll read further and let you know what I think. I don't mind setting goals. It will help us advance and share. Ordinarily this book would last me about two to four weeks depending on whether I pressed or slacked. I'm also reading a Hebrew word study as a devotional, and writing a new book dealing with complex legal issues pertaining to the Bible. Please look the book over briefly and share your thoughts. I've never done this before. Thanks.

message 18: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments My problem is that I can only get the audio version via my Michigan library. So I'd have to go on a chapter by chapter basis. Also, I can't look ahead to see what's coming so I'll have to read it by faith (!) Two chapters a week would be about ten pages a day (assuming that I will not be able to read it all seven days.)

message 19: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments If it's through a library I assume it's free. If you want to pick up the first installment we can touch base every couple of days to see how we progress. It will either gain traction or stall on the highway. I'm game if you're inclined, but there's absolutely no expectation or demand on my part. Your call.

message 20: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments Eric, I just listened to the first half hour. I can see why Renee was put off since he meanders about evangelicalism in the introductory pages. But I was impressed enough by his mentors (both real and literary) and by his explanation of each upcoming chapter to want to read the whole book. Plus, he does some good thinking and writing about cultural issues on his blog Mere Orthodoxy. So I'm in.

message 21: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments Good enough, Hope. I'll read on and we can mutually offer our insights at the end of each chapter or section. I'm moving into Chapter 2. Where are you? Should we reach out to Renee again? She has been gracious to me, and I don't want to press her.

message 22: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments We can certainly invite her - with the understanding that this type of book isn't everybody's cup of tea.

message 23: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments I'm midway through chapter one.

message 24: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments I sent her a note and I'm starting Chapter 2. We don't have to cover Chapter 2 until you're ready. I really don't know how something like this works. I can adjust to your speed.

message 25: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments Should we shoot for reading through chapter 3 by next Sunday? It doesn't seem like the kind of book that can be read quickly. Lots of important ideas to mull over. It is my understanding that read-alongs with weekly goals are more about accountability than discussions. But the nice thing is that if you have a question or insight to share, someone in the group can interact with it because they are reading the same passages. I'm not discounting discussion. Just saying it's secondary.

message 26: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments Sounds good. We'll touch base again Sunday and hold each other accountable. Have a great week.

message 27: by Renee (new)

Renee (rays_reeds) | 18 comments Eric wrote: "Sounds good. We'll touch base again Sunday and hold each other accountable. Have a great week."

Do you two know that you can start a thread of conversation between the two of you about this book? In all of the books I have read, only 2 have made it to the "cannot finish" option - this book would be one of those two. I read through the end of chapter 2 and am not interested in continuing, sorry. It could be where I am in life at this moment but it just is NOT holding my attention.

message 28: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeinbrazil) | 83 comments Yes, Renee, I was wondering about how to do that. Could you tell me how to make the discussion just between those who are reading the same book?

message 29: by Alina (new)

Alina | 50 comments Mod
I'm not sure you can make a discussion thread between certain members. You can discuss the book under the title, or if you want a more private discussion, private message each other.

message 30: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments Thanks Alina. I figured it out. I set up a new topic under the letter E for a joint reading discussion of Earthen Vessels.

We'll get out of your way now Renee. That is, until we get into Explicit Gospel. Talk with you then. Hope things are clearing up for you.

message 31: by Renee (new)

Renee (rays_reeds) | 18 comments lol, you are NOT in my way. I am glad this book has prompted so much discussion and I hope it is a great read between the two of you. If the book is on Hope's to read list, you can comment on that one instead of this one - then the convo is between the two of you, though others can still see it. Then I won't get an email each time the two of you comment on this book.

message 32: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments Better idea!

message 33: by Renee (new)

Renee (rays_reeds) | 18 comments :-) I am enjoying the interaction - very rare on here. It's just that I get an email each time one of you post a comment.

message 34: by Eric (new)

Eric Scott | 29 comments Hilarious. I may jump on here once in a while just to know someone is thinking of me and knows I exist. Take care Renee.

message 35: by Renee (new)

Renee (rays_reeds) | 18 comments lol! Well you could be a bot...