Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle, #1)
This topic is about The Red Knight
Archive [FBR Monthly Book Club!] > March 2018 - The Red Knight by Miles Cameron

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7422 comments Mod
The March 2018 FBR Book Club Winner is:

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron!
The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle, #1) by Miles Cameron

This read will start March 1, 2018 and will be available throughout the month. The discussion will take place in this thread.

Thanks, Laura, for your great nominations! :)

message 2: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 883 comments I'm in!

message 3: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I will have another attempt at this if I can

message 4: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm really excited to read this one. :)

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
I'm in :)

message 6: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I'm going to try. My March doesn't look too bad.

message 7: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick | 18 comments When does this book start?

message 8: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick | 18 comments Oh March 1 lol. I’m on the app. Forgive me! I’m totally in!

Solseit | 1460 comments I am in for this read. I read 90% of it twice and loved it both times. I never really finished it because it was a series and I did not have the second book - which I have now!
I cannot wait!

Laura Tenfingers | 1107 comments I just finished this and I'm looking forward to discussing it 😊

message 11: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I might start reading this actually since it’s been on my shelf for a while might as well

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I started this morning and got through chapter one. The author's attempts at humor remind me of the Greatcoats. However he pulls it off so much better. de Castell always made it seem so forces. Like a cheesy 80's action movie. Cameron it just happens. Love the name of the character Sauce. That's awesome.

(view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments Scott wrote: "I started this morning and got through chapter one. The author's attempts at humor remind me of the Greatcoats. However he pulls it off so much better. de Castell always made it seem so forces. Lik..."

I am glad to read your comment, Scott!

Solseit | 1460 comments I am through chapter 4 and the story is getting a bit more complex.

I like the description of battles or skirmish so far. (view spoiler)

message 15: by Samir (new) - added it

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Through chapter one. I really liked how the author made the encounter with the golden bear more interesting by switching the POVs.

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Samir wrote: "Through chapter one. I really liked how the author made the encounter with the golden bear more interesting by switching the POVs."

I agree and it was Erikson-esque that he made me feel empathy for the bear.

message 17: by Samir (new) - added it

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "I agree and it was Erikson-esque that he made me feel empathy for the bear."

Indeed.

message 18: by Ahdam (last edited Mar 02, 2018 01:17PM) (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I'm a couple of chapters in and I already like it the detail the author puts into the world is just amazing and I like the military jargon/technology which is a definite plus.

Also I'm assuming you guys are listening to the book but each chapter has an illustration of the characters and I quite like it since it helps me visualise them better.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Ahdam wrote: "Also I'm assuming you guys are listening to the book but each chapter has an illustration of the characters and I quite like it since it helps me visualise them better.."

I'm reading but in kindle format and no illustrations.

message 20: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I'll be listening on audiobook. Hopefully starting tomorrow.

message 21: by Samir (new) - added it

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Through chapter 3. Can't really say I'm hooked yet. So far I'm only enjoying Red Knight's chapters. I'm having problems with keeping track of the other POVs. I keep mixing them up.

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Samir wrote: "Through chapter 3. Can't really say I'm hooked yet. So far I'm only enjoying Red Knight's chapters. I'm having problems with keeping track of the other POVs. I keep mixing them up."

I'm in the same boat and because I'm enjoying another book more I'm having a hard time sticking to reading this.

message 23: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Progress is slow on my side university is taking a priority since I’m close to a few deadlines

Sarah Feyereisen | 5 comments Scott wrote: "Samir wrote: "Through chapter 3. Can't really say I'm hooked yet. So far I'm only enjoying Red Knight's chapters. I'm having problems with keeping track of the other POVs. I keep mixing them up."

..."

I've been getting them a little confused here and there, too. However, I began writing down the characters' names and a brief description of each character back when I was reading Chapter 1, and it's helped me a lot to refer back to that when the POV switches to a character who's been offscreen for a while. (I also looked up every term I didn't understand and created a separate list. I'd be well and truly lost without that one - I'd never thought about just how complicated medieval arms and armor were, which I should have since I got my B.A. in history and have read quite a bit about the Middle Ages.)

Sarah Feyereisen | 5 comments Also, for those who have 1) read far enough in the book to meet Jean de Vrailly and 2) have watched Game of Thrones, does he sound like a bit of a male Daenerys Targaryen to you, or is it just me? The author's reference to Joan of Arc was pretty obvious, but to me he also resembles Dany in both appearance and temperament (impulsive, mercurial, "I am the rightful lord/ruler of __________", etc.)

Laura Tenfingers | 1107 comments In the beginning I was having a hard time keeping track of all the POVs but later on it got easier and I felt that despite that bit of confusion, I got a great feel of the place and happenings thanks to the different POVs.

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

I've let this one go. After stopping and trying twice to get back into it I'm just not feeling it. It started off with so much promise.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Laura.

message 28: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Progress is slow for me and I don’t mind the huge cast too much but I’m wondering how it’s all gonna wrap up since we are following these characters for a reason but so far I am enjoying it

Laura Tenfingers | 1107 comments Scott wrote: "I've let this one go. After stopping and trying twice to get back into it I'm just not feeling it. It started off with so much promise.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Laura."

I totally get that. I've read his historical fiction (written as Christian Cameron) and really enjoyed it. I think that helped me get over the hump. Highly recommend The Ill-Made Knight

message 30: by Samir (new) - added it

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Pulled the plug on this one. Couldn't get into it.

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Samir wrote: "Pulled the plug on this one. Couldn't get into it."

Sorry you didn't get into it and yet psyched it wasn't just me. :)

message 32: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I'm a DNF too. I was listening to this on audio but I just wasn't caring about anything that was happening and none of the characters stood out to me. Moving on...

message 33: by Samir (new) - added it

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "Samir wrote: "Pulled the plug on this one. Couldn't get into it."

Sorry you didn't get into it and yet psyched it wasn't just me. :)"

I had high hopes for the series. Such a shame.

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Veronica wrote: "I'm a DNF too. I was listening to this on audio but I just wasn't caring about anything that was happening and none of the characters stood out to me. Moving on..."

That's the way I felt as well.

Samir wrote: "I had high hopes for the series. Such a shame."

Me too.

message 35: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Wow, okay maybe I won't try to squeeze this one in. That's a shame.

message 36: by Shaitarn (new) - added it

Shaitarn | 1931 comments In the nicest possible way, I'm relieved a few of you didn't like this because I tried reading it last year and relegated it to the DNF zone. Everyone was raving about it and I was wondering if my taste had totally deserted me!

message 37: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments That’s interesting I’ve gone a bit slower in this but I like what I am seeing

message 38: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
I've been away from GR for almost a week and this book is part of the reason why (the other part is way too much overtime work lately). I haven't been able to get any reading done because I read a couple of pages from this book and I just feel drained. Time to add it to the DNF pile, too.

message 39: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 883 comments Ahdam wrote: "That’s interesting I’ve gone a bit slower in this but I like what I am seeing"

Same here

message 40: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 883 comments Anyone still reading?

message 41: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I’m on hiatus while dealing with deadlines but I’ll be back hopefully I will be back after I dealt with my deadlines either this weekend or the next

Sarah Feyereisen | 5 comments Hacen wrote: "Anyone still reading?"

Yes! I'm almost done with Chapter 15. I can see why a lot of people found the pacing too slow throughout the first half of the book, because the author used it to introduce the characters and lay the groundwork of backstories, politics, world-building, and other "administrative" facets of the story. Once it picks up speed, though, it really gets going, and I've reached the page-turning phase - you know, the one where you can't put the book down. :-)

Solseit | 1460 comments I confess I ran through it; I really liked it, the slow build is something that I tend to enjoy.
It is a slow moving book at the beginning; around 50% the pace picks up and there is a lot more happening.
I will certainly continue with the series!

Laura Tenfingers | 1107 comments Anybody want to continue the series in the near future? I just picked up The Fell Sword from the library.

Solseit | 1460 comments I would love to! I just will not start right away though - I want to finish another series first.
Do you have an idea as to when to start?

Laura Tenfingers | 1107 comments I have the book for a month, but if that's too soon for you I can find it again when you're ready. When is good for you?

Solseit | 1460 comments Laura wrote: "I have the book for a month, but if that's too soon for you I can find it again when you're ready. When is good for you?"

Considering your timeline, I will re-arrange my TBR. I wanted to finish at least Elantris which I hope to do in the next couple of days. Do you think Saturday this week will work as a starting date?

message 48: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Mar 27, 2018 08:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Tenfingers | 1107 comments Thanks! Saturday would be perfect, so the 31st right? I can request it.

message 49: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Buddy read is set up for The Fell Sword.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Solseit | 1460 comments Thank you Angela!

« previous 1