Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > What are you reading January 2018?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6931 comments Mod
Tell us what books are on your immediate TBR for the new year! :)

message 2: by Lee (last edited Jan 03, 2018 01:22PM) (new)

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments This month I am reading Wrath, Gardens of the Moon, and Inda as BRs with the group. These are my kindle/physical reads, which I don't tend to have lots of time for.

I'm also going to try to squeeze in Grave Peril (finishing soon), The Emperor's Blades (want to finish this before the end of the month so I can join the BR for The Providence of Fire).

If POSSIBLE, I'll also be reading The Rose and the Thorn and For We Are Many, depending on what my schedule is looking like. Potentially Children of Time All of these I'm doing on audio, which I'm pretty flexible with.

What's nice is that these are all 8-20 hours or less in terms of audio. I've gone through several books in the last three months that were between 35-55 hours long haha, which occupied a lot of my time. I think I'll be able to get through these pretty quickly though.

**EDIT**

Won't actually be doing Children of Time this month, as I realized theres a BR for it in February so I'll wait =].

message 3: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I know what you mean - It's amazing how quickly I seemed to get through 10hr books after spending a whole month on all 3 Stormlight archive haha.

message 4: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Right now I'm reading Stone of Farewell and I am loving it so far (close to finishing it)

Once I am done with that I will get to Gardens of the Moon sometime on Friday cant wait for that

I would read Shadow rising but I haven't read Dragon reborn so I will probably read that on the date and play the catch up game

There is also Legend and the Drizzt series but I may have overbook this month so the last 2 may be problematic

message 5: by Rea (last edited Jan 03, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Rea Sanders (realauren89) | 42 comments Well, right now I'm working through four books.
Gardens of the Moon, Golden Age, The Great Hunt (Hopefully Ahdam we can get caught up together and BR the mess out of them!), as well as reading the Illustrated Harry Potter series to my kiddos.

I have in the pipeline the rest of the month Is Warbreaker for the buddy read. Then hopefully wrap up the rest of the books for the Shifting Tides series if it still holds my intrest (part of Golden Age), maybe work on one of my yearly re-reads (hoping to start on The Abhorsen Trilogy as my husband is taking his sweet mf time reading it)

message 6: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3838 comments Planning on finishing One Fell Sweep and then reading Inda and A Song Unheard.
Other than those I have no idea yet.

message 7: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Liam wrote: "This month I am reading Wrath, Gardens of the Moon, and Inda as BRs with the group. These are my kindle/physical reads, which I don't tend to have lots of..."

Stormlight Archive on audio takes FOREVER... the first one was 45hrs, and they just kept getting longer (48hrs then 55hrs)... Forever here is about 6-7 days of listening :)... compared to most books that's a very long time...

message 8: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 03, 2018 09:49PM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments For January, I have a bunch of Buddy Reads in my pipeline:

Child of the Prophecy
Victory of Eagles
Gardens of the Moon
Dragons of Winter Night
Paladin of Souls
Red Seas Under Red Skies
Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
Legend
American Gods
Providence of Fire
Warbreaker

When I have spare time, I'm working through:

Vorkosigan Saga (#4+) by Lois McMaster Bujold
Nightside (#5+) by Simon R Green
Sebastian St. Cyr (#11+) by CS Harris
Odd Thomas (#2+) by Dean Koontz

Maybe finish out my Mistborn Era 1 re-read before April/May:

Well of Ascension
Hero of Ages

message 9: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
This month I plan to read the below.

Reaper's Gale
Blood Song
Menagerie

If I get time:

Wrath
Crimes Against Magic

message 10: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 134 comments Just got started on Gardens of the Moon (a re-read for me) and I'm hoping to join in the Inda BR later in the month.
Aside from fantasy, I'm halfway through Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America and will re-read Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus with another group. Just about finished with Gotham Central Book Three: On the Freak Beat with book four waiting in the wings.

message 11: by Antonia (new)

Antonia | 2 comments I am currently half way on A Memory of Light ( taking a break for a bit).
Just finished East of Eden, so I wanted to read something more light and found this young-adult series Truthwitch, after I finish this i am going for The Chronicles of Amber series and Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set, also going for a re-read The Lord of the Rings

message 12: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments I enjoyed the Witchlands books... Sightwitch comes out this month, which is supposed to prep for Bloodwitch next year (apparently it was pushed back)...

message 13: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm planning several books and hope that I cam get to all of them.

Gardens of the Moon as BR
Inda as BR
Warbreaker (reread) as BR

Non BRS/With other groups
Spiderwick Chronicles
Between Shades of Gray (audio)
A Quiet Kind of Thunder
Ancillary Justice

Hoping to read All the Crooked Saints and a couple more audiobooks. Thinking of rereading the Percy Jackson series and Lord of the Rings through audio.

I also want to start one of my nonfiction books that I have on my list for the year.

message 14: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

message 15: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I need to get back to knights shadow. I made it to ch 6 with the group then got distracted. It's a shame it's not on audio.

message 16: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Niki Hawkes wrote: "I need to get back to knights shadow. I made it to ch 6 with the group then got distracted. It's a shame it's not on audio."

I didn't like the first book but had bought the first 3 already so its extra tough. hope it gets better LOL

message 17: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 158 comments = If Time Permits

January 2018:

Sookie Stackhouse (SS)
- Dead Until Dark -- Finished 01/03

The Hollows (TH)
- The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death -- Currently Reading

Up Next:

TH - Dead Witch Walking -- Jan. 7th
SS - Living Dead in Dallas -- Jan. 14th
TH - The Good, the Bad, and the Undead -- Jan. 21st
SS - Club Dead -- Jan. 28th

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Oh no! Haha that's the worst! Sunk costs, Margret. Just let em go (I wish I could take my own advice).

message 19: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki's January 2018 TBR Tackler Shelf:

Magic Binds - Ilona Andrews [In Progress]
High Rhulain - Brian Jacques [In Progress]
Lady of Misrule - T.A. Pratt [In Progress]
Persepolis Rising - James S.A. Corey
Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson [BR]
Radiant Shadows - Melissa Marr
Naamah's Blessing - Jacqueline Carey
Mercy Burns - Keri Arthur
Dragon Hunters - Marc Turner [BR]
The Demon Spirit - R.A. Salvatore
Menagerie - Rachel Vincent [BR]
Clean Sweep - Ilona Andrews
Inda - Sherwood Smith [BR]
The Shadow Rising - Robert Jordan [BR]
The Providence of Fire - Brian Staveley [BR]

Ambitious, but sooo many good titles to choose from! :)

message 20: by Miche (new)

Miche | 2939 comments Niki, wow!

message 21: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm delusional. But I think I can make it though at least half of them lol.

message 22: by Miche (new)

Miche | 2939 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I'm delusional. But I think I can make it though at least half of them lol."

Well, you are on my team, so read as many as you can! ;)

I will be at The Shadow Rising too. I hope it won't be like the previous one...

message 23: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I hope it's better too. That's the only obligation read lol. If I can read at least 8 books, that will be more than my average and then I'll feel like I'm making a good effort for the challenge.

message 24: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I'm in awe of how many books you guys are able to read in one single month! (especially you Niki!).

I just have a modest 3 planned in the Fantasy dept. and that's only because I know I have some extra reading time this month.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Mage's Blood

and if there's enough time:
The Voyage of the Basilisk

I was supposed to read Inda but the package got lost in the mail. First time ever an order got lost for me :-(

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

For what it's worth, I don't think I'll make it through half of those lol. I really enjoyed voyage of the basilisk. :) also, what a shame about your book order! Hopefully you'll still get your copy at some point. I think that tome is going to take me at least a month to get through.

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Gardens of the Moon Group Read
Caliban's War Group Read
Gods of Risk
Abaddon's Gate Group Read
The Infernal Battalion Audio Group Read
Dragon Hunters Group Read
Iron Gold Audio Group Read
Inda Group Read
Warbreaker Group Read
The Drawing of the Three Audio
Blackout Audio

Busy month. I'll likely sneak something else in on audio

message 27: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments All this talk about Kushiel's Legacy has me wanting to continue with the Imriel trilogy... probably been long enough that I won't compare it too harshly to the Phedre trilogy...

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Kushiel's Scion was my fav of the whole saga. And that's saying something considering how much I loved Phedre's novels.

message 29: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Scott, holy buddy read central.

message 30: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Long Price Quartet = 4 books (almost done with book 3)
Lost Lore ARC = 1 books (done)
Farseer trilogy = 3 books
The Wilful Princess and the Piebald Prince novella
Iron Gold (if the book arrives this month)

Total: 10 books. Not too bad :p

message 31: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "For what it's worth, I don't think I'll make it through half of those lol. I really enjoyed voyage of the basilisk. :) also, what a shame about your book order! Hopefully you'll still get your copy..."

Yeag well I decided to hold off on re-buying it elsewhere (they refunded me) and take it as a sign I need to continue the series I started first haha. But I'll keep my eye on and take my cue from how you'll like it :-).

message 32: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Scott wrote: "Gardens of the Moon Group Read
Caliban's War Group Read
Gods of Risk
Abaddon's Gate Group Read
The Infernal Battalion Au..."

That is a busy month Scott, but I'm sure it's nothing you can't handle.
Also, I didn't know there was such a thing as an audio group read. Is that here on GR?

message 33: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Good thing I knocked out so much before starting Gardens of the Moon, cause it's taking a little longer in comparison... I'm not double booked again until Wednesday...

message 34: by Petrik (last edited Jan 06, 2018 10:24AM) (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Iain wrote: "Good thing I knocked out so much before starting Gardens of the Moon, cause it's taking a little longer in comparison... I'm not double booked again until Wednesday..."

dude, you're a reading machine. I just saw the scoreboard.. 4 books in 5 days???? :o and a total of almost 1500 pages!!!

message 35: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Looks like some good stuff on everybody's schedule!

I didn't realize Iron Gold came out this month. I'll definitely be doing that on audio this month if I have the time.

Is there a BR schedule for Iron Gold in the near future, does anybody know?

message 36: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Yes there's a BR scheduled for release day or Iron Gold. I don't think my copy will come in on time.

message 37: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments How did I miss that haha? I'll hopefully get in on that.

message 38: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

There have been like 6 different release dates for that book, so there wasn't a lot of fanfare for the thread. Also, I think it was set up like 5 months ago lol.

message 39: by A Fantasy (new)

A Fantasy Muse (afantasymuse) | 4 comments Not exactly what I'm reading this month, but my plans for the year.

I have a full plate this year. I made a resolution to read and review at least 1 short story every week on my blog.

On top of that the novels that I have on my TBR list for this year so far include The Woman in Cabin 10, Oathbringer, Tahoe Ice Grave, The Library at Mount Char, Retribution Falls, The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man, and Duskfall.

That's my starting point anyways. I also plan to get the Series Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham this year fingers crossed.

message 40: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Petrik wrote: "Iain wrote: "Good thing I knocked out so much before starting Gardens of the Moon, cause it's taking a little longer in comparison... I'm not double booked again until Wednesday..."

dude, you're a..."

I read 200-300 pages per day usually... sometimes more... audiobook speed default is 30 pages per hour... crank it up, tho, and I'm hearing 45-60 pages per hour... 5-6hrs/day at work and a little more at home... adds up quick... works best with light reads like the ones I've read so far... Child of Prophecy was a bit bleak/heavy, but Nightside, Vorkosigan, and Temeraire were all pretty light and fun (and short)... Malazan is back to the complex and heavy, in comparison...

message 41: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Iain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Iain wrote: "Good thing I knocked out so much before starting Gardens of the Moon, cause it's taking a little longer in comparison... I'm not double booked again until Wednesday..."
..."

Ah yeah, more or less the same as me then in terms of reading speed, 200 pages per day are my optimal speed Somehow, I've been reading a bit slower for Long Price Quartet though. I don't even know why, it's a great series but I feel like I should stop once in a while to take in all the "subtlety". I heard Malazan is even worse due to the heavy prose and complexity xD

message 42: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments A Fantasy wrote: "I also plan to get the Series Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham this year fingers crossed. ..."

Well, good luck with all your plans. I'm hoping to get to the Long Price Quartet this year as well, but I'm gonna give the Moontide Quartet a go first and I'm a s-l-o-w reader so we'll see.

Also, I'm admiring your resolution to read and review at least once a week! I made the opposite resolution - for 2018 I decided it'll be okay to not review if I don't want to since I realised I'm not particularly enjoying it nor much good at it so why torture myself :-D.

message 43: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Petrik wrote: "I heard Malazan is even worse due to the heavy prose and complexity xD

The writing style of Malazan is definitely something else - it may take some getting used to. (I couldn't connect with it but I'm not ashamed to say I gave up sooner rather than later).

message 44: by A Fantasy (new)

A Fantasy Muse (afantasymuse) | 4 comments Dani wrote: "A Fantasy wrote: "I also plan to get the Series Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham this year fingers crossed. ..."

Well, good luck with all your plans. I'm hoping to get to the Long Price Quarte..."

I'm not a fast reader myself, but I retain and absorb more as I read. Reviewing definitely takes a commitment and I gave myself a pass last year. I still reviewed short works, but not nearly like I wanted too. This year I hope to keep the goal set.

Here's to us finishing the Long Price Quartet this year!

message 45: by Miche (last edited Jan 06, 2018 12:46PM) (new)

Miche | 2939 comments January 2018 so far started really well:

Carry over from December:
Murder on the Orient Express

Spur of the moment, all from this week:
Nice Dragons Finish Last
One Good Dragon Deserves Another
Neanderthal Seeks Human
No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished - in progress
Age of Swords - in progress

Buddy Reads:
01/08 - Reaper's Gale - Malazan BotF
01/15 - The Shadow Rising - Wheel of Time
01/20 - Inda - attempt
01/25 - Warbreaker

Will try to read before the month ends:
A Dragon of a Different Color
The Mummy Case

message 46: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments A Fantasy wrote: "Here's to us finishing the Long Price Quartet this year!"

I drank a glass of wine to that :-).

message 47: by Hailee (last edited Jan 07, 2018 04:11PM) (new)

Hailee | 2375 comments My tbr for January is:

Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1) by John Gwynne Malice

Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) by Steven Erikson Gardens of the Moon

The Painted Man (Demon Cycle, #1) by Peter V. Brett The Painted Man

Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2) by Scott Lynch Red Seas Under Red Skies

I just want to over this annoyingly persistant cold so I can get back to reading!!

message 48: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm a bit late for the BR but I would like to read The hero of ages The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson this month, now that I have received my order. I have another BR with another group for A man lay dead A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn, #1) by Ngaio Marsh . First I need to finish Theft of swords Les Voleurs d'épées by Michael J. Sullivan . I also need to finish Talleyrand's biography Talleyrand Le Prince Immobile by Emmanuel de Waresquiel , as well as Rhapsodic Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1) by Laura Thalassa , Les Pirates de l'Escroc-griffe tome 1 Les Terres Interdites (Les Pirates de L'Escroc-Griffe, #1) by Jean-Sébastien Guillermou , and, finally, Pilars of earth Les Piliers de la Terre by Ken Follett . If I can, I would also get to the seventh tome of Mercy Thompson La Morsure du givre (Mercy Thompson, #7) by Patricia Briggs . Not sure if I can get to all of them, but I will try ^^

message 49: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments Absolutely off topic but I don't know where to ask the question: will we have the customary January Best Reads thread?

message 50: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

We moved it to the Top Three Thursday thread. I think one is in there now. Sorry for the confusion. :)

« previous 1