The Bloomsbury Group & Friends discussion

Odd & Ends > Howards End [BBC 2017]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B (skauthen) | 585 comments Mod
I'm sorry I'm posting this so late but perhaps now you can find this available online - a new version of Forster's Howard's End was broadcast by the BBC in December. It's well reviewed in the Guardian (so it must be good, right?):

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...

message 2: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments This looks good! Also, I do not know any of those actors! I guess it is time for me to get a grip and get acquainted with the next generation of actors.

What I am trying to find is the Christmas episode of Doctor Who so I can see Jody Whittaker become the 13th Doctor. (First female doctor). Sorry to change the subject. I think Virginia would have approved. The BBC is so mean; they don't make their online programs available over here. I suppose I should be grateful for Intellectual Property laws, but I am not.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Silvio111 wrote: "This looks good! Also, I do not know any of those actors! I guess it is time for me to get a grip and get acquainted with the next generation of actors.

What I am trying to find is the Christmas e..."

The episode you seek is available on Amazon Prime. Alas, you'll have to pay something like $2.99 for it, because it is so new.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments While we're on the subject of the BBC, why hasn't "Life in Squares" been released in the U.S.? :(

message 5: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Sandra,

Thanks for the heads up! (I looked it up on Wikipedia and learned Dorothy Parker's quote about squares, circles and triangles.

I found the film:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4o8g5a

Apparently all the episodes are available (free) on Dailymotion.com. I checked this one and it works.

It also looks like James Norton (Grantchester) portrays the young Duncan Grant.

Lots of nudity in this program so I don't think they could have shown it on PBS.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sandra, you must let us know what you think of Life in Squares: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

What does bug me about the BBC is: 1.) How difficult they make it to get ahold of EastEnders - hello, it's the most popular television programme in the world, there are thousands - millions? - of people who'd be willing to pay a dollar an episode or more to keep up to date with that show - why are they turning away money?

2.) How difficult it is to get ahold of most any OTHER of their not-super-popular programmes. A friend of mine contacted the BBC a few years ago to offer to pay them to burn off a DVD of a BBC film that had aired on television years ago but not been released on DVD. She could not give them any amount of money - they said that for some legal reason or whatever they could not make it available in America. It's absurd. How often do I hear Brits moaning about the license fee - when we would happily pay it for them!

I'm not a Doctor Who fan but I will cheerfully pay $2.99 to see David Bradley play anybody in anything ^_^

message 7: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Ha! David Bradley was the news shop old guy who was being bullied by the mob in the British version (the only version, as far as I am concerned) of Broadchurch, right? And he is also Filch in Harry Potter. Have I got that right?)

For some weird reason I alway mix him up with the late Roberts Blossom (now there's a name), played the old guy next door neighbor, in Home Alone.

Regarding legal reasons and the BBC, I wonder if this is related to the situation that existed in the '50s and '60s in England when U.S. musical groups were not allowed to tour there, and so in retaliation, the U.S. Musicians Union put in place a similar embargo (is that the right word?) unless there was a one-to-one exchange. So for instance, Lonnie Donegan could not tour in the U.S. unless somebody like Chuck Berry could tour in England. (I read about this in Billy Bragg's recent book about Skiffle.)

I agree with you though; I can't imagine who gains by the BBC not promoting their programs here. Maybe BBC America? It is all beyond me.

message 8: by Sarah (last edited Jan 08, 2018 08:03AM) (new)

Yes, he won a BAFTA for that role. And you are right - most people know him as Filch. I'm devoted to him. I saw him on stage at the Donmar Warehouse in a Pinter play. He will always be Eddie Wells from Our Friends in the North to me ♥ Roberts Blossom is very cool, too.

There's some legal ridiculousness I don't know the details of. Last time I lived there, 2010, many US-based youtube videos wouldn't play in the UK. BBC America is such shite, it's an embarrassment. And they took away my EastEnders! Due to "lack of demand".

message 9: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Yeah, that is right up there with the way some libraries "prune" their shelfs of books that are deemed "lack of demand." I really hate when they do that.

I guess you need to be more demanding, Sarah.

message 10: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Re: Our Friends in the North: I just looked it up--wow what a cast! Christopher Eccleston (way before the Doctor Who reboot), Daniel Craig, and David Bradley. It's on YouTube. Will definitely start watching this tonight; thank you!

And if you are into Harold Pinter, he is wonderfully portrayed by his last wife's (Antonia Fraser) memoir, MUST YOU GO? From his plays, you would never guess what a total sweetheart he sounds like.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments I suppose they could have pixelated some of that, the way they did for Diana Quick's brief nude scene in "Brideshead Revisited". Also we never saw Anthony Andrews' and Jeremy Irons' bums. Boy, was I surprised when I got the Blu-Ray of the program. LOL

Silvio111 wrote: "Sandra,

Thanks for the heads up! (I looked it up on Wikipedia and learned Dorothy Parker's quote about squares, circles and triangles.

I found the film:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4o8g5a
..."

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Did someone mention Jeremy Irons' bum? I'm awake, I'm awake.

I hope you do watch Our Friends in the North. I think it's one of the best productions I've ever seen. It's got a GREAT cast. My favourite (aside from David Bradley) is Gina McKee and I am unfairly over-critical of actresses (as opposed to actors). I just adore her. The memoir you mentioned sounds very charming, I may pick it up.

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Yes, those bums are definitely worth seeing.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Hee-hee-hee. Did you get to check out Life in Squares?

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Sarah wrote: "Hee-hee-hee. Did you get to check out Life in Squares?" Yes indeed! I really liked it.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Of course! I read that post, too, and it poured straight through my empty little nut.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Sarah wrote: "Of course! I read that post, too, and it poured straight through my empty little nut."

Speaking of bums and PBS, they pixelated some on "Victoria" the other night, when Prince Albert and some of his pals were jumping into a stream to skinny dip. Booo! Hissss!

message 18: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Bummer!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Tchk, guess I'm going to have to shell out for Netflix...

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Hey hey, if any of ya'll have Starz:
Howards End, a limited series set in Edwardian England, premieres April 8. Adapted from E. M. Forster's novel of the same name, the four-episode series is the story of Margaret (Hayley Atwell) and Helen Schlegel (Philippa Coulthard), two independent and unconventional sisters seeking love and meaning as they navigate an ever-changing world.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/howards-e...

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Here's an interview with Hayley Atwell who plays Margaret Schlegel in Howards End, which premieres in the US on Starz, April 8. It's got great reviews and the stills are very pretty:

http://wwd.com/eye/people/hayley-atwe...