Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1)
This topic is about Mage's Blood
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Mage's Blood [Sept 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7209 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Mage's Blood by David Hair starting September 15, 2018.
Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1) by David Hair

message 2: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I'll join for this one :)

message 3: by Hailee (last edited Aug 21, 2018 02:54PM) (new) - added it

Hailee | 2499 comments I was always intending to join this buddy read but I have a lot of books in the pipeline so I'm now on the fence, especially since I don't actually own the book yet. Ah the dilemma ;-)

message 4: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments In :)

message 5: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments I *might* be able to squeeze this in! Fingers crossed.

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Tempted.

message 7: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I’m going to start this early since it might take a bit of time I’ve been intrigued about this for a while especially with this “land bridge” mainly because it brings me back to geography when I learned about continental drift and plate tectonics.

message 8: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I'll start this either later today or tomorrow.

message 9: by Loriidae (new) - added it

Loriidae | 257 comments I have started early as the audio is 26 hours. Slow going - there is a lot of telling!

message 10: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Read the first six chapters. I'm loving it so far!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Just started this, I'm going to listen to the audio so it'll probably take a while.

The prologue was super dark (view spoiler)

I've listened to the first three chapters, the Saint woman is (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I think I'm about 10% in, so essentially, from what I understand (view spoiler)

message 13: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I agree with your spoiler, Charlie.

I'm in chapter 26 and still liking it a lot, but (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments It's hard to tell where I'm at since I'm listening to the audio and the audio chapter don't correspond with the book chapters but I'm on audio chapter 15/86. I feel (view spoiler)

message 15: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Charlie wrote: "It's hard to tell where I'm at since I'm listening to the audio and the audio chapter don't correspond with the book chapters but I'm on audio chapter 15/86. I feel [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Bea wrote: "Charlie wrote: "It's hard to tell where I'm at since I'm listening to the audio and the audio chapter don't correspond with the book chapters but I'm on audio chapter 15/86. I feel [spoilers remove..."

Maybe I'll end up skimming through his chapters on 2x speed!

message 17: by Loriidae (new) - added it

Loriidae | 257 comments Hmmm so I gave up at 10 % a combination of not being in the mood for the darkness and too much telling. I understand that it is a huge saga and there is a big scenario to set up, but I found the audio uninteresting! I hope everyone else gets on better.

message 18: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Loriidae wrote: "Hmmm so I gave up at 10 % a combination of not being in the mood for the darkness and too much telling. I understand that it is a huge saga and there is a big scenario to set up, but I found the au..."

It's no use continuing if you do not enjoy it :)

Up to chapter 30:
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Charlie wrote: "Bea wrote: "Charlie wrote: "It's hard to tell where I'm at since I'm listening to the audio and the audio chapter don't correspond with the book chapters but I'm on audio chapter 15/86. I feel [spo..."

Haha! I always can't wait until his chapters are over :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Bea wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Bea wrote: "Charlie wrote: "It's hard to tell where I'm at since I'm listening to the audio and the audio chapter don't correspond with the book chapters but I'm on audio chapter 15..."

I was like that with Bran from ASOIAF, I skim read his chapters in the last book, they really bored me and I always wanted to put the book down when I got to his POV.

message 21: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Charlie wrote: "Bea wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Bea wrote: "Charlie wrote: "It's hard to tell where I'm at since I'm listening to the audio and the audio chapter don't correspond with the book chapters but I'm on audi..."

I liked Bran in the beginning but his story got pretty boring after a while...

message 22: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Chapter 35:
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Finished. Overall this was a great entry to the series!
I'll probably drop out of the Scarlet Tides BR, though because I fear I'll forget all the names if I wait for a whole month.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Bea wrote: "Finished. Overall this was a great entry to the series!
I'll probably drop out of the Scarlet Tides BR, though because I fear I'll forget all the names if I wait for a whole month."

Wow, seriously well done! I'm still only about 10% in. I only listened to about 20 mins of it over the weekend. I'm definitely going to keep at it, I just think it might take me a little while.

message 25: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Charlie wrote: "Bea wrote: "Finished. Overall this was a great entry to the series!
I'll probably drop out of the Scarlet Tides BR, though because I fear I'll forget all the names if I wait for a whole month."

Wo..."

I read it pretty quickly because I was enjoying it so much!
But I'll stay around until you have finished it too! :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I listened to another few hours of this today and it's slowed right down for me and I'm losing interest. I'm thinking I might switch to the physical copy since I feel like I'm barely making any progress.

message 27: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Hm, I feel like this is a book/series one should read without longer pauses as there are a lot of names to remember.

I finished book two by now and it was really good as well. And it has a dramatis personae and a glossary which I found very helpful :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I think listening on audio might be part of the problem since I can't see the names written and there's loads to remember. It takes me about 5 minutes into a chapter before I know which character they're talking about. Currently I remember them in my head as mage student, bodyguard mage, unwilling bride and crazy ex boyfriend.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'm not sure exactly where I'm up to since on listening on audio but I'm guessing between 25- 30%. (view spoiler)

message 30: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm not sure exactly where I'm up to since on listening on audio but I'm guessing between 25- 30%. "

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Thanks for helping me with all the names! Since I'm listening to it I've got no idea how they're spelt.

message 32: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Oh! That definitely makes remembering the names harder!
I'd definitely recommend getting the second book as physical or e-book. It has a glossary that helps a lot with all the names!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I actually have this in physical copy too but I've found I'm mostly listening to it while i'm doing housework and dog walking so I can't actually hold it!

On a side note, I'm finally really getting into it! Listened to a few more chapters today and everything is starting to come together. I'm beginning to see how the different perspectives all link to each other which is always a cool moment in a book. The world doesn't feel so disjointed now.

Ramita's husband has just told her his story and OMG!!

message 34: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Great to hear it's coming together for you! :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments It really is! Elena has just (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments 81% in. I'm not happy with what's happening with Sara, she's being manipulated and she doesn't even know it!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments 92% Jesus!!!! This is freaking awful!! (view spoiler)

message 38: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Charlie wrote: "81% in. I'm not happy with what's happening with Sara, she's being manipulated and she doesn't even know it!"

You mean Cera, right? (view spoiler)

Charlie wrote: "92% Jesus!!!! This is freaking awful!! [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Charlie (last edited Oct 23, 2018 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Bea wrote: "Charlie wrote: "81% in. I'm not happy with what's happening with Sara, she's being manipulated and she doesn't even know it!"

You mean Cera, right? [spoilers removed]Charlie wrote: "92% Jesus!!!! ..."

I'm listening on audio so I have no idea how it's spelled but yes, probably her!

That's a relief about Ramita! (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'm finished! It was awful, such a horrific ending, for pretty much everyone.

message 41: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments This series definitely made me suffer a few times too.
I've read all 4 books now and really liked them all. I'm pretty sure you're going to enjoy the rest of the series as well if you liked the first book.
I found that all the horrible things that happened were important for the characters' development which was interesting to read.
There is still the chance not everything is going to end badly (I cannot say a lot of course because of spoilers) :)
But there is still alot of horrible stuff to come. It's definitely a dark series.