Ticket to Read Book Challenge 2018 discussion

The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life: Before 8AM
This topic is about The Miracle Morning
16. Silly title > The Miracle Morning

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary Manzanares | 73 comments Mod
Blech. That pretty much sums up how I feel about wasting my time with this rah-rah you-can-do-it, live a better life by a millennial whose lowest point wasn't when he suffered a near-fatal accident but was years later when he wasn't the top producer for his company, the businesses he started were failing, and he was in debt. Grow some cojones - there are people who face far worse each and every day.

While developing habits of personal improvement and development is a worthy notion, the book felt mostly like quick fixes that were full of jargon and short of actual meat. I also felt like this was promotion for his website and products, rather than a stand-alone product delivering value. Quite often, rather than explaining something in the book, he left a link to something on his website. While that will work occasionally, the book should have plenty of meat on its own.

There is no miracle - before 8 a.m. or after - not impressed!

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (betsywuebker) | 27 comments Mod
Ha! Don't hold back! I think there is truth to the notion that (certainly not all) millennials have resiliency and assessment deficits by virtue of never having failed. Failing good takes practice, just ask me! People who are reading a book want to read within the book, not be manipulated via a thinly veiled infomercial.

message 3: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary Manzanares | 73 comments Mod
I think that's what it was, I felt like it was an attempt to manipulate readers to his website, coaching, and other products. I'm all for self-improvement, and certainly setting aside time each day for it is a good thing. But the whole thing was tone deaf to people who don't have the privilege and situation that he does. Fortunately, I have another book queued up (I'm listening to it on audio while on the treadmill) and it's much much more powerful.

message 4: by Celeste (new)

Celeste | 7 comments Ha! I listened to a couple of his podcast episodes last year. I felt the same as your description of his book.

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonbayel) | 48 comments thank you!
Now I know not to read it, or to expect Miracle Mornings!