Elementary Latin Reading Group discussion

Grammar > PRAEFATIO APOLOGETICA (Grammar)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fariba (last edited Jan 03, 2018 12:06PM) (new)

Fariba (fariba33) | 7 comments Mod
Grammar-related questions go here.

message 2: by Dash (last edited Jan 15, 2018 06:24PM) (new)

Dash A | 4 comments in the first para. is the "novam hanc editionem testimoniis popularium quorundam munire" an in direct speech.
as in the publisher by the extent of the consult who led them said that they need to protect the new edition from the said rumors mentioned in the start?

message 3: by Fariba (new)

Fariba (fariba33) | 7 comments Mod
Dash wrote: "in the first para. is the "novam hanc editionem testimoniis popularium quorundam munire"..."

I'm having difficulty with that line too. My general understanding is that witnesses (who were virtuous men and close to our hero) were brought forward to dispel rumors. I didn't see indirect statement in the first paragraph, but I may have missed something. I'm stuck on the word "quorundam". Will the new edition include these witnesses' reports then?

message 4: by Dash (new)

Dash A | 4 comments I dont have the text in front of me but it could refer to command that was ordered but the fact it is ordered doesn't mean it is executed properly. Also it seems to be made in the same sense more said he wasn't sure the book edited properly(how long the bridge should be part in the first letter for example) so perhaps the ambiguity lies there