Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Challenge - General > Harry Potter

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments My son and I want to read the Harry Potter series together. Does anyone know which boxes of the challenge can be checked off by reading them?

message 2: by Brandy (new)

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 258 comments Have you seen the movies if so a book of a movie you've already seen.
Any of the ones after the first can be the next book in a series you've started.
A book involving a heist.
A book with death or grief.
A book about or involving a sport (If you count the Quidditch, which I would).
Book about time travel.
A book with an animal on the title (if you count mythical animals Order of the Phoenix).
A book set on Halloween (many of the books have at least part a chapter take place at Halloween).
A book with character who are twins (Fred and George!!!!! And the Patils?)
I'd call them modern classics so a childhood classic you have never read (if you have never read them... but this depends on how you qualify classic).
A book set in a library or bookstore (they are always buying textbooks at the very least.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Thanks Brandy! I have seen the movies but have never read the books.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Adding to Brandy's list:

-A book set in a country that fascinates you
-A book with a female author who uses a male psuedonym (it doesn't specify that you have to READ one of the books published under the pseudonym)
-A book with alliteration in the title (Sorcerer's Stone...unless you are reading the original British title)
-A book mentioned in another book (see this website for examples: http://www.cosforums.com/archive/inde... )
-A book set in the decade you were born - if you were born in the nineties (HP was born in 1980 if memory serves which puts him at Hogwarts around 1991)
-A book with an ugly cover (seriously, if you look at some of the artwork for various foreign versions you may find a few!)
- A book being read by a stranger in a public place (check an instagram account like subway book review)
-A book recommended by someone taking the Popsugar challenge

Also, adding to Brandy's comment about bookstore/library...they do spend a lot of time in the library!

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Thanks Sara! I am excited about how much the series covers!

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ellsworth | 155 comments J.K. was still considered a pseudonym too tho. Slightly. She was going to originally use her name and was told to go with her initials or the boys wouldn't want to pick up the books if they knew right away that the were written by a woman.

message 7: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ellsworth | 155 comments If you totally do love her when you are finished, you should definitely check out her Robert Galbraith series that starts with The Cuckoo's Calling

message 8: by Brandy (new)

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 258 comments But that series (especially the second) you probably don't want to read with your son.

message 9: by Conny (new)

Conny | 118 comments Brandy wrote: "But that series (especially the second) you probably don't want to read with your son."

Hell no :o

But do read them if you like thrillers. They are really very good! Very high-quality thrillers with unique characters and lots of atmosphere.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments I will look into those once we finish the Potter series to read by myself. Thanks for the recommendations!

message 11: by Melissa (last edited Jan 06, 2018 12:36AM) (new)

Melissa (mageofmip) If you or your son were born in the 90s, it could apply for the decade you were born prompt. That's what I'm counting Goblet of Fire for.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 44 comments The Deathly Hallows will definitely fall under a book about death or grief. It is a quite difficult one to read.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 50 comments Emily wrote: "My son and I want to read the Harry Potter series together. Does anyone know which boxes of the challenge can be checked off by reading them?"

I am re-reading them all this year. I took some liberties, but my categories are:

-Title with alliteration: Sorcerer's Stone (US title)
-Received as a gift: Chamber of Secrets (my hubby bought me all 3 illustrated versions for Xmas this year).
-Country that fascinates you: Prisoner of Azkaban
-Involving a sport- Goblet of Fire (Quidditch world cup of course)
-Animal in title- Order of the Phoenix (mythological animal, but still).
-Set in the decade you were born- Half-Blood Prince
-Characters who are twins- Deathly Hallows

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 50 comments Brandy wrote: "Have you seen the movies if so a book of a movie you've already seen.
Any of the ones after the first can be the next book in a series you've started.
A book involving a heist.
A book with death..."

Hermione is always in the Library as well :)

message 15: by Denise Cameron (new)

Denise Cameron | 113 comments I graduated in 1999, so I'm re-reading Chamber of Secrets for the "Bestseller from the year you graduated" prompt. I found an excuse to read Sorceror's Stone last year.

message 16: by Aryssa (new)

Aryssa (aryssareads) | 9 comments I'm doing the following since I started re-reading the series last year

Next book in a series you started-Goblet of Fire
Book set in the decade you were born-Order of the Phoenix
Female author who uses a male (or ambiguous) pseudonym-Half Blood Prince
Characters who are twins-Deathly Hallows

Could also be a book mentioned in another book, a book set in a country that fascinates you, a book with alliteration in the title, a book with an animal in the title, a book made into a movie you've already seen, a childhood classic you've never read, etc.

message 17: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 13 comments Here's how I'm fitting in the Harry Potter books this year!

A book set in the decade you were born- Sorcerer's Stone
A book that involves a bookstore or library- Chamber of Secrets
A book about mental health- Prisoner of Azkaban
A book involving a sport- Goblet of Fire
A book about a problem facing society today- Order of the Phoenix
Your favorite prompt from 2017- Half Blood Prince
A book you meant to read in 2017 but never did- Deathly Hallows

message 18: by Stacey (last edited Jun 27, 2018 08:39AM) (new)

Stacey | 400 comments This is how I'm fitting the series into my challenge & I'm including The Cursed Child!!!!

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 19) A Book about/involving a sport
-We get the whole run down and first experience of Quiddich!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 29) A Book about/set on Halloween
-The first MAJOR event occurs on Halloween & there's the whole bit about Nearly Headless Nick's deathday party which definitely puts you in a Halloween setting!!

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 23) A Book about time travel
-The Time Turner!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire I'm actually using this for my Around The Year challenge this year as a book with A, T & Y in the title

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 26) A Book with an animal in the title
-I'm totally counting a mythical animal!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - 36) A Book set in the decade you were born
-Yay 90's!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 40) Your favourite prompt from 2015/2016/2017 popsugar challenge
-2015 had a prompt called: A Book With Magic!

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two - Either for 13) A Book that is also a stageplay or musical OR 18) A Book by 2 Authors (ok so technically this has 3 authors but to me it still meets the spirit of the challenge which I'm interpreting as "more than 1 author")

BONUS RECOMMENDATION:
The Philosopher's Flight by Tom Miller
I haven't read this yet but my sister has and she said it was a 5 star read and really reminded her of the HP books!

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Stacey wrote: "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two - Either for 13) A Book that is also a stageplay or musical OR 18) A Book by 2 Authors (ok so technically this has 3 authors but to me it still meets the spirit of the challenge which I'm interpreting as "more than 1 author")"

Just wanted to note that I'm fine with people stretching or reinterpreting prompts as appropriate for their personal reading, but the previous year's challenge had a prompt for 'a book with more than one author' so I would assume that they deliberately changed the wording to '2 authors' this year to mean that specifically.

message 20: by Stacey (last edited Jun 28, 2018 12:47PM) (new)

Stacey | 400 comments Raquel wrote: " the previous year's challenge had a prompt for 'a book with more than one author' so I would assume that they deliberately changed the wording to '2 authors' this year to mean that specifically."

I didn't participate last year so wasn't really aware of that/haven't fulfilled that prompt so I'm totally letting myself be ok with stretching on this one, but you do raise a good point for people who participated last year! :)

I also stretched a bit this year with Artemis by Andy Weir for 27) A Book set on a different planet. Technically the moon isn't a planet but I still felt that this fit the spirit of the challenge!

message 21: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 400 comments Great News!!

So I’m currently reading Tolstoy and The Purple Chair; My Magical year of Reading by Nina Sankovitch and it mentions The Harry Potter series by name so I’d say that means you can totally use any Harry Potter book for the prompt: Mentioned in another book!!