Challenges from Exploding Steamboats discussion

Stina's Challenge 2018 > Prompt: Any novel by a Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 634 comments Mod
Check out this Wikipedia article for a list of all of the SFWA Grand Masters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon_K...

I'll be reading Lincoln's Dreams by Connie Willis. I expect I'll read some others as well.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 144 comments I read The Martian Chronicles for this and, as it is my second Bradbury book, I have come to accept he is not the author for me. Even despite his misogyny, I still prefer Heinlein.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Arkless | 147 comments I read "The Dispossessed" by Ursula K. Le Guin. Despite having read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy when I was younger, I had never read any of her books. This was an easy read, as her writing style drew me in.

message 4: by Stina (new)

Laura wrote: "I read The Martian Chronicles for this and, as it is my second Bradbury book, I have come to accept he is not the author for me. Even despite his misogyny, I still prefer Heinlein."

I ended up reading Dandelion Wine for this prompt. It's Bradbury, but it isn't sf or even fantasy. I read one review that called it magical realism, but even that's a real stretch. I liked it, but not without some reservations. I think I was fonder of Bradbury when I was younger. Now he seems like an old fart in a lot of ways. (And he's a dead old fart, so it's not like he cares what I think.) But I still like the lushness of the language he used. Use ALL the adjectives!!

message 5: by Stina (new)

Mary wrote: "I read "The Dispossessed" by Ursula K. Le Guin. Despite having read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy when I was younger, I had never read any of her books. This was an easy read, as her writing style dr..."

I think that's on a book club list for next year for me. I've tried reading one of her books before, but I just couldn't get into it. I don't know if it was the audiobook narrator or the story itself, but maybe it will be different with this one.

50x66

Challenges from Exploding Steamboats

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lincoln's Dreams (other topics)
Dandelion Wine (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Connie Willis (other topics)