2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Christa | 144+ books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christa (last edited May 09, 2018 08:07AM) (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments 2018 Book Statistics

Genre/Type
Fantasy: 23
Science Fiction: 6
Romance: 5
Graphic Novel: 5
General Fiction: 6
Historical Fiction: 2
Biography/Memoir:
Other Nonfiction: 3
Mystery: 1
Classics:
Poetry:
Horror:

Length
Short (<250 pages): 17
Medium (250-500 pages): 29
Long (501-800 pages): 5
Very Long (>800 pages):

Target Audience Age
Middle Grade: 2
Young Adult: 20
Adult: 29

Author Gender
Female: 37
Male: 10
NB: 2
Multiple: 2

New to Me or Repeat Author?
New to Me: 29
Repeat: 22

Series or Standalone Book?
Series: 25
Standalone: 26

Owned or Borrowed?
Owned Book: 18
eBook: 10
Audiobook:
Library: 17
Borrowed: 6

Decade Published
2010's: 43
2000's: 4
1990's: 1
1980's: 1
1970's:
1960's: 2
1950's:
1940's:
1930's:
1920's:
1910's:
1900's:
Pre-1900's:

Total Books: 51

Monthly:
Jan: 12 books (3069 pages)
Feb: 10 books (3314 pages)
Mar: 15 books (5148 pages)
Apr: 11 books (3514 pages)
May: 3 books (1476 pages)

(Last updated 5/9/2018)

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Christa & a very happy New (reading) Year!

message 3: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Susy wrote: "Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Christa & a very happy New (reading) Year!"

Thank you! I have a good feeling about this one!

message 4: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #1 - Conduct Unbecoming - ★★★★★

Starting off 2018 with a nice queer romance novel. This one was well done, with a well-developed setting and one of the characters in the m/m romance identifying as bisexual - always a plus in my book! The ending felt a little rushed but that may just be because I didn't want it to end.

message 5: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #2 - Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter: The Official Guide - ★★★★

A nice paper copy of all the awesome things I got to see last November in London. Perfect since I had a limited time to take it all in - I'll always have this to go back to.

message 6: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments Wishing you the best of luck with your goal this year.

message 7: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Blagica wrote: "Wishing you the best of luck with your goal this year."

Thanks so much!

message 8: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #3 - Dates: Volume 2 - ★★★★★

I actually read the digital version of this last year, so this was a re-read. I absolutely love these anthologies and their focus on happy endings! I hope they continue to make them - I will definitely support any future Kickstarters!

message 9: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Books #4 & #5 - The Red Threads of Fortune (★★★★) & The Black Tides of Heaven (★★★★★)

I accidentally read these out of order. I think I would have enjoyed Red Threads a bit more if I'd read it second. But I absolutely loved the fantasy world built here and how they challenge the concept of gender. I definitely recommend these books and will be keeping an eye out for future books in the series!

message 10: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #6 - The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (★★★★★)

This was a delightful read. I loved the focus on their relationships with each other, and the romantic storylines felt natural rather than shoehorned in. I didn't expect to be so invested but I was!

message 11: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #7 - The Chronicles of Exandria, Vol. I: The Tale of Vox Machina. (★★★★★)

This is the art book for the first part of the first Critical Role campaign. The artists in this fandom are so talented, and I am ever in awe of them. I'm so glad I sprung for the deluxe edition - I have it on display on my graphic novel bookcase. This book is visually stunning and a good high level summary of everything in the first campaign through the Chroma Conclave.

message 12: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #8 - Flame in the Mist (★★★★)

I enjoyed this quite a bit! I found myself skimming at times, but the plot was intriguing enough that I was engaged and interested in what happened to the characters. I will have to look out for the sequel.

message 13: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #9 - The Beast That Never Was (★★★★★)

This was an awesome unique take on a fairy tale - I loved the reveal and the f/f romance was really well done!

message 14: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #10 - Slaughterhouse-Five (★★★)

A classic I'm glad to have read.

message 15: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments You are doing great keep up the great reads!

message 16: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Blagica wrote: "You are doing great keep up the great reads!"

Thank you! :) I have a few more updates to make for January!

message 17: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #11 - Devoted: A Suspense Novel (★★★)

I enjoyed reading this book, though the 'suspense' part of it ran out pretty quickly. I wanted to know the details of what had happened in the mystery, but not in any kind of edge-of-my-seat kind of way.

message 18: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #12 - Alex and Eliza (★★★)

I had to read this because of my obsession with Hamilton on Broadway. Perhaps my expectations were too high because of that. :) But still a fun read.

message 19: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #13 - Sorcerer to the Crown (★★★)

A bit of a slow start, but I liked it once the focus shifted a bit. Might be a good one to re-read later with a little more time - in this case, I had to rush through before my library loan ran out. :P

message 20: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) You're doing great Christa! Looks like your 100+will be a piece of cake!

message 21: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Susy wrote: "You're doing great Christa! Looks like your 100+will be a piece of cake!"

Thanks! I hope I can keep up my pace! :)

message 22: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #14 - The Burning Sky (★★★★)

This one had me hooked from the prologue. Loved the fantasy elements!

message 23: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #15 - A Wrinkle in Time (★★★★★)

This was a re-read. I enjoyed it more on this re-read than my last, possibly in anticipation of the visually stunning movie. Plus there's always the nostalgia of a book from my childhood. :)

message 24: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #16 - The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (★★★★)

I had to rush through this one a bit due to a library deadline, which I think made me miss out on some of the better details. I enjoyed it a lot, but I'd like to re-read when I have a chance to take my time with it.

message 25: by Christa (last edited Mar 06, 2018 06:57AM) (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #17 - The Beauty Myth (★★★)

Interesting discourse here, though a bit dry for my tastes. I probably wouldn't have read this without it being a book club book.

message 26: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #18 - Howl At The Mistletoe (★★★★★)

This was a fun compilation of romance stories, geeky in different respects. I especially loved the cosplayers one. :D

message 27: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #19 - Wonder Woman: Warbringer (★★★★★)

I loved this! I wasn't sure how Wonder Woman would be reframed within the YA genre, but this was so well done! It makes me more likely now to read the other 'DC Icons' YA books. I got really invested in the characters and their quest.

message 28: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #20 - Sleeping Beauty, Indeed & Other Lesbian Fairytales (★★★★★)

I'm always here for lesbian fairytales! This was a short read but a lot of fun.

message 29: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #21 - Critical Hit (★★★★★)

I! Love! This! Book! It has EVERYTHING: queer characters, dogs, Dungeons and Dragons, believable drama. I love it!!! I wish there were more!

message 30: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #22 - All the Crooked Saints (★★★)

Maybe my expectations are too high after the Raven Cycle, but I couldn't get too into this one. I loved the setting and the mood though.

message 31: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #23 - Christmas at the Wellands (★★★★★)

A nice, fun queer romance set at Christmas. What more could I ask for? Possibly a few more words, because I was pretty invested in the characters by the end. :)

message 32: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #24 - What the Dog Knows: The Science and Wonder of Working Dogs (★★★★)

Yay, I love dogs! This was a really interesting read. Makes me wonder what kind of work my dog could get into if we tried it!

message 33: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Christa wrote: "Susy wrote: "Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Christa & a very happy New (reading) Year!"

Thank you! I have a good feeling about this one!"

Well, you're certainly on a roll there Christa!

message 34: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #25 - The Upside of Unrequited (★★★★★)

What a relatable main character. The highlight of her long line of crushes was definitely me in high school. This was a delightful read.

message 35: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments You are knocking it out of the park Crista keep it up!

message 36: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #26 - Artemis (★★★★★)

No one can write science fiction like Andy Weir. NO ONE. His stories are so fascinating and engrossing - I wish I could read this over again for the first time. Needless to say, I LOVED IT.

message 37: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Blagica wrote: "You are knocking it out of the park Crista keep it up!"

Thank you! :)

message 38: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?

message 39: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments April Showers bring May flowers I hope May brings lots of great reads and sunshine!

message 40: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Thanks Blagica! I'm overdue to update this post for sure. :)

message 41: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #27 - Goldenhand (★★★★)

I feel like I'll always enjoy any book related to the Abhorsen series! This one did not disappoint.

Also, I'm about to make a ton of updates, so please forgive the spam. :)

message 42: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #28 - Jane, Unlimited (★★★★)

It took me a bit to get into this one, but I liked the style once I did. Definitely a new and interesting format for storytelling!

message 43: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #29 - Warcross (★★★★★)

This was one of those 'can't put it down' books! It ended on a cliffhanger and had me shaking my fists. I want to know more!

message 44: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #30 - Critical Role: Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting (★★★★★)

Hearts in my eyes. I'd love to play a campaign in this setting - even though I'm brand new to playing DnD! Critical Role is definitely what got me started with interest in the game, and now I'm finally playing.

message 45: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #31 - Ink and Bone (★★★★★)

I don't remember what drew me to check out this ebook from the library, but I'm so glad I did! A compelling world setting with a focus on books and what they mean for society. I loved it! Can't wait to read the sequels.

message 46: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Books #32 & #33 - Shades of A (★★★★★) & Shades After ★★★★★

I only read this occasionally as Tab was posting it online, but I was lucky enough to meet Tab at a con when I was in London last year and grab a physical copy of the whole series! I love the twist on THAT story, with a focus on asexuality. Kudos to the author for sure. I'd love to read more of this.

message 47: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #34 - A Court of Wings and Ruin (★★★)

While I've been enjoying this series as it goes, I think it's one I would benefit from reading all at once as an anthology.

message 48: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #35 - Christabel (★★★★★)

Since this book shares my name somewhat and had the LGBTQ tag, I had to grab a copy. It had an eerie tone that kept me engrossed until the end.

message 49: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #36 - Tower of Dawn (★★★★)

I liked the focus here on Chaol's story. As with the other Maas series though, there's so much to remember I wonder if I should've waited for all these books to be out to read them all in a row!

message 50: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Book #37 - The Goblin Emperor (★★★)

This was a book club book that I'm not sure I would've read otherwise. It was an interesting read.

« previous 1