Existential Book Club discussion

Book Discussions > Myth of Sisyphus

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Louise (new)

Rachel Louise Atkin | 54 comments Mod
January's read is Albert Camus' Myth of Sisyphus. Feel free to leave comments and thoughts about the essay below, and if you read any other essays alongside it do let us know how you feel about them.

message 2: by MJD (new)

MJD I think that the last part of the the book (called "The Myth of Sisyphus") is well worth the read, even if one does not read the rest of the book.

In fact, I think that the last part - while it is supported by the book as a whole - can function well as a stand-alone short essay.

message 3: by Carljayson (new)

Carljayson Hernandez | 3 comments I have read this book three times already in its entirety.
It fascinates me how vivid feelings and ideas are depicted.
I commend the book as well for being able to open the question of "meaning" and its implications.

This book is incomplete in itself, since the general way of Camus's exposition of his theme requires reading his other works as well.
With this in mind, "The Stranger" and "Caligula" are worth reading as well.

message 4: by MJD (new)

MJD Carljayson wrote: "I have read this book three times already in its entirety.
It fascinates me how vivid feelings and ideas are depicted.
I commend the book as well for being able to open the question of "meaning" an..."

While I would also recommend "The Stranger" and "Caligula" I would also recommend reading a biography of Camus called "A Life Worth Living" which helps give historical and biographical lenses in which to view "Sisuphus" (including, but not limited to, the impression that the play "Prometheus Unbound" had on Camus.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Also, in order to get an even fuller grasp of Camus' concept of "the meaning of life" I would highly recommend reading two books of his that were published after his death: "The First Man" and "A Happy Death"

message 5: by MJD (new)

MJD Zoheb wrote: "I have planned to read this book soon. Will participate in this discussion, if the plan works out. I really like the quality of books suggested in this group.

Cheers! More power to the creator of ..."

Usually I would not tell people to the read the ending of books first,but this is what I did (the last chapter of the book was required reading in a philosophy class I took) and then I read the whole book in the context of what Camus wrote in the last chapter.

For me it was helpful to do this, something for you to consider.

message 6: by MJD (new)

MJD Zoheb wrote: "MJD wrote: "Zoheb wrote: "I have planned to read this book soon. Will participate in this discussion, if the plan works out. I really like the quality of books suggested in this group.

Cheers! Mor..."

If you like Camus you may like to read A Life Worth Living: Albert Camus and the Quest for Meaning. Having read all of his fiction (both published and unpublished) and most of his non-fiction, I think that the book is a good summary of writings.

My favorite quote from the book is:

"He was a moralist who insisted that while the world is absurd and allows for no hope, we are not condemned to despair; a moralist who reminded us that, in the end, all we have is one another in an indifferent and silent world."