World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Announcements & Book Promotions > January 2018 Lesser-Known Book of the Month Group Read -- Final Vote Open Until 8 January

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) I'm excited to announce the start of the final voting period for our November Lesser-Known BoM!

To vote, go to the following poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

To promote the broadest participation possible, you should vote for all of the books that you want to read. The nominee with the most votes would become the BoM. In this way, you do not need to choose a book that you think will win even though you would really rather to read another one. Instead, you can vote for both of them!

Note: The poll is anonymous.

To vote, simply write in all of the nominated books that you want to read in the write-in area of the poll.

The final selection process ends on 8 January at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

Let's have a great time reading and discussing because talking about books with each other is the other half of the fun!

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) The nominees are as follows:

From The Fields of Crimea to the Sands of Mars (Time patrol - Nancy Laplante series, #7) by Michel Poulin
From The Fields of Crimea to the Sands of Mars
This is the seventh and last book of the Time Patrol - Nancy Laplante series.

From the streets of 1854 London, to the battlefields of the Crimean War, to the French siege lines around Maastricht in 1673 and to the besieged Paris of 1870 during the Franco-Prussian War, Nancy Laplante 'B', a young field agent of the Time Patrol, continues with her missions in the 17th and 19th Centuries, finding both adventure and love, but also heartbreak.

In Timeline 'C', a parallel line to the original historical timeline, Ingrid Dows is in charge of the American space program and is also a very influential presidential advisor. She also made many enemies who are jealous of her power and influence. While dodging bullets, missiles and political daggers, Ingrid will lead the United States in a series of spectacular accomplishments in space.
Tiamat's Nest by Ian S. Bott
Tiamat's Nest
Weather forecasting is a life-or-death profession, and hard sciences and technology are all that keep people alive and fed. Anthropologists, soft and useless, rank slightly below politicians and telemarketers on the social scale. This sucks for Charles Hawthorne, Professor of Anthropology.

Worse yet, his research into human behavior has discovered how human history ended up on its current miserable course, and the perpetrator is hell-bent on keeping it hidden.

Worst of all, with everything mechanical under computer control, the most innocuous device is a potential murder weapon to a well-connected villain.

After a series of deadly near-misses Charles flees to the wilds of Greenland where the global network has yet to reach. But to deal with the threat, to save himself and his family, Charles has to confront technology full on and enter the even more hostile world online.

Freeing humanity from a lifetime of slavery comes as an added bonus.
White Wide World by Ida Beyer
White Wide World
“Angel, I can’t promise you I won’t hurt you, I’m not a good man, and I’ll truly hurt you some day, but until that day comes, I’ll stay with you, and I won’t let you go, no matter what. I’ll keep you, protect you, I’ll provide anything you should ever need, but there are things I can’t promise, staying is one of them,”

Pain is Jason’s constant and only companion. It’s the only thing he has ever known. He welcomes it, and trusts it like an old friend. If you feel pain, then at least you are alive. Most of the time, pain is the only thing Jason really feels.
But, one happy accident hurls him off his destructive course. He is drawn to a woman, who truly needs his help.

Can he bring her back to life? And in the process come to terms with the boy that he was? Will she show him the man that he could be? Or will he remain the monster that he is?

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Less than 3 days left to vote.

The final selection process ends on Monday 8 January at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Less than 48 hours left to vote.

The final selection process ends tomorrow Monday 8 January at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 211 comments Hi Alex, I wanted to message you rather than post this in a public forum, but Goodreads isn't letting me :(

I dropped my book in on an impulse when you announced the nominations for this month, but I have to confess I have no idea how this works. Your posts talk about the nomination and selection process, but I can't find on any of the threads a mention of what happens next. I'm embarrassed to admit this level of ignorance, and I know I should have done more research first, but this simply popped up in a quiet moment in the holiday mayhem and I leaped in without looking.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Once the final voting period ends, then the results are displayed for the poll and the one with the most votes becomes our "lesser-known" book of the month group read. I then add it to the currently reading bookshelf--which shows up near the top of the group home page--and I start a discussion thread for it. I'll also ask the author if they'd like to do the author interview.

(To cut down on spam and other unwanted PMs, I only allow PMs from "friends", but I accept all friend requests. But I think one workaround is to reply to me on one of my PMs to you (if there is one). ^_^)

message 7: by Michel (last edited Jan 07, 2018 04:18PM) (new)

Michel Poulin Alex, I don't want to appear presumptuous, but I wish to make you and the readers aware of a point about my entry, From The Fields of Crimea to the Sands of Mars. I noticed in other book of the month votes that, once the vote is done and the results announced, the readers must then go buy or get their own copy of the winning book. I just want to point out that, while my book is not available at the various commercial publishers/distributors sites, it is available online for free in PDF format directly on my Goodreads author site (just click the 'download book' button when viewing the book's page. If you need the book in another format, like EPub or Kindle, you can get such formats of my books at Free-Ebooks.net, but you then need to become a V.I.P. member. Those are the two only places where my ebooks are available (always for free). At the worst, I can always send DOCX copies by email on request, so that participants to the reading forum could convert themselves the file in the format of their choice. Just wanted to prevent some possible mad scrambling and questions in the future.

message 8: by Ian (last edited Jan 07, 2018 03:17PM) (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 211 comments This is not an attempt to sway the voting :) but if Tiamat's Nest should get chosen please hold off on buying it until the price drops to $0.99. I will be reducing it but it takes a little while for price changes to take effect across all the different formats (Kindle, Nook, iTunes etc.)

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Less than 24 hours left to vote.

The final selection process ends today Monday 8 January at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Since two books tied and it's already a little more than one week into the month, we'll read both Tiamat's Nest and From The Fields of Crimea to the Sands of Mars.