What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mother's Day
This topic is about Mother's Day
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 90s YA short story anthology about relationships between mothers and daughters. One story possibly called "Unnatural Women". [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments A book of short stories for teens from the early 1990s. Each story was by a different author and the common theme was that they were all about mother/daughter relationships. Mostly British authors were included.

I mainly remember one story, possibly called "Unnatural women," about a mother and daughter dealing with the death of their mother/grandmother, and a line from it was something like, "Unnatural women - mum, Nan, me. We laugh until we ache all over".

I thought it might have contained a story by Anne Fine, but can't find any details about that in lists of her writing, so I could be wrong.

I also remember the book had a quote on the cover about how mothers and daughters are "like hedgehogs, full of love and prickles" or something like that.

Any help appreciated.

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4163 comments Mother's Day by Miriam Hodgson maybe? It was also published as Mixed Feelings

According to http://copac.jisc.ac.uk/id/20357697?s... the stories are: Very different / Anne Fine -- Shrove Tuesday / Berlie Doherty -- The pram lady / Vivien Alcock -- Forbidden clothes / Jamila Gavin -- Kelly / Marjorie Darke -- See the pretty star / Gwen Grant -- A werewolf in May / Annie Dalton -- A warm safe bed / Monica Hughes -- Parents' day / Jean Ure -- No one else will do / Jaqueline Wilson.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments I think this is it, Ayshe - the story titles sound familiar. Thanks for your help yet again!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mother's Day (other topics)
Mixed Feelings (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Miriam Hodgson (other topics)