Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Ancient History (Old Threads) > 2018 Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 226 (226 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (last edited Jan 03, 2018 08:32AM) (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) | 564 comments Mod
A new year means a new thread.

Introduce yourself for the first time or re-introduce yourself for the hundredth time.

If you are new please make sure to check out our introduction to the group for some housekeeping items.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments Hi, I’m Abigail from the San Francisco Bay area. I pop in and out of the reads here because I’m working on a series of historical novels (first one finished but not published, so I’m not advertising) and need to keep my primary focus on the era I’m writing about. I love discovering new-to-me authors in historical fiction, though, so periodically I get sucked in! The discussions are interesting even when I’m not reading the book.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 25 comments Hi. I am Terri. I lurk way too much. LOL So just finished Mrs. Jeffries and The Mistletoe Mix-Up - a series I love.

message 4: by Trish (new)

Trish Butler Hi, I'm Trish, author from the UK, live in the US. My HR series is Redway Acres.

Love reading HR and my other reading passion is detective series. Very sad over the recent death of Sue Grafton.

I'm fairly new to the group.

Trish

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 344 comments Hi, I am Maureen I have just joined this group. I am retired and love to read historical fiction. I am looking forward to participating in many of the events that come along. I looking at the winter challenge, looks like fun.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryhagen14yahoocom) | 70 comments I, also, love to read historical fiction so I write historical fiction - romance set in western United States and have two books published - Day of Reckoning and Secret to Hold.

message 7: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Welcome everyone! Hope to see everyone around the boards.

message 8: by Rae (last edited Jan 05, 2018 10:09AM) (new)

Rae (mithergma) | 11 comments Hi, I'm Rae. Recently retired and have always loved to read. My favorite genre is Historical Fiction, WWII being my favorite era, but also read Crime Mysteries/Thrillers and occasionally Dystopian. Have used Goodreads for some years now, but this is the first that I've joined a group. Am learning to navigate through all the threads. Always looking for a good read, discussion, and similar tastes in books.

message 9: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments You chose well for your first group, Rae! This is an active, interesting one, and you’ll get exposed to lots of different historical fiction possibilities.

message 10: by Rae (new)

Rae (mithergma) | 11 comments Abigail wrote: "You chose well for your first group, Rae! This is an active, interesting one, and you’ll get exposed to lots of different historical fiction possibilities."

Thank you, Abigail. Looking forward to the possibilities.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Madeley | 2 comments Hello, I'm new to the group and am a reader and writer. I have heard it said that to qualify as historical fiction the period has to be 50 years ago. Do you agree?

Also how important is historical accuracy? I'm reading a book which I though was set in the Victorian era, but they go to Paris via the Channel Tunnel.

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (ReneeGraceThompson) | 6 comments Hello, I'm Renee. I've been craving historical fiction lately, and don't know where to start, so here I am! I'm excited to be a part of this group.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 100 comments Welcome Tracey and Renee, I'm sure you'll enjoy this group.

As I live in Kent, the county where the English part of the tunnel starts, I can say for sure that it would have been impossible to travel to Paris via the channel tunnel in Victorian times. However, there have been several failed/stalled attempts to dig through to France and the first attempt at a channel tunnel was a Victorian project but it was abandoned in the 1880s.

For me, the idea of Victorians travelling under the English Channel is a step too far in fiction.

message 14: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Madeley | 2 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "Welcome Tracey and Renee, I'm sure you'll enjoy this group.

As I live in Kent, the county where the English part of the tunnel starts, I can say for sure that it would have been impossible to trav..."

That was my thought, I need to check I have not mis-interpreted the author before I write the review.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 100 comments @Tracey - very sensible!

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryhagen14yahoocom) | 70 comments I think historical accuracy is very important. In my books, I try to be and I do a lot of research before I write.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 100 comments Same here, Mary, and I love the way that the research turns up astonishing facts. As the saying goes, truth is often stranger than fiction.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bowe (sarahsbookstack) Hi. I'm Sarah. I'm from Utah, USA. Historical fiction is my absolute favorite genre, but I'll read anything that Like the synopsis of.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 100 comments Welcome Sarah. That sounds very sensible!

message 20: by jessica (new)

jessica (xjessicax) Hi, my name is Jessica! I'm a linguistics student from North Carolina, USA. I went through quite a long reading slump and am recently getting back up to speed. I love historical fiction set in East Asia, Europe, and colonial America. Nice to meet you all! :)

message 21: by Deb (last edited Jan 08, 2018 09:06PM) (new)

Deb Hi. I'm Deb, and I live in Alaska. I love history, and reading...and discovered I really like Historical Fiction. As a former homeschooling mom whose youngest just graduated, I finally have time for reading just for me. My favorite time period to read about is Colonial America/Revolutionary times...rekindled recently by my first visit to Williamsburg, Monticello and Mt. Vernon. I just finished a book I loved (America's First Daughter) and I looked at reviews on Goodreads for some other recommendations...I didn't even know there was a group section! So glad I found it. I've been looking through several threads and already getting some great suggestions.

message 22: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments Oh, good, more colonial/Revolutionary America fans! Maybe we’ll read more in that area in the future. Welcome, Jessica and Deb.

message 23: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 09, 2018 12:02PM) (new)

Chelsea | 3 comments Hello! I'm Chelsea from the Pacific NW. I joined a few months ago but am just now actively participating. I tend to gravitate towards WWII and early 20th century books, as well as ones set in far away lands. More recently I got more interested in the Belle Epoque era for a writing project. Basically, I love history and historical fiction so I won't rule out any era!

And I will say, I've probably consumed more historical fiction shows/movies than books but that's one reason why I joined - so I could read more :)

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 100 comments Hi Steve and welcome. I've just taken a look at your profile and I love your choice of books!

message 25: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3 comments Hi all, I’m claire. Have been following you, but not active. Hope to change that and will try the winter challenge.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 100 comments Steve wrote: "Hi Anna. Thanks for your reply. Glad you like my choice in books. You have some great titles on yours too and a few of your own to boot :) I got back into reading about April time last year after a..."

I love Dickens! Great stories and great characters.

Hello Claire. Welcome. Yes there'll be others who follow the threads but don't contribute. Me for one!

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 70 comments laura here. i'm in the US.

i am a history addict, but as i get older, i have become more and more addicted to fictional historical mysteries. you know, those series where there's some proper lady who doesn't conform to the social necessities of her time (doesn't matter what era, but preferably edwardian or victorian era, london or new york or paris) and works with a handsome police detective? LOL. i've been plowing through much more than ever due to my need to avoid the real-life news this past year. my brain can't take any more non-fiction than that at the time. :)

I love this group though.

message 28: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments Hi, Laura, I know of a book set in the USA that otherwise matches your criteria. Have you read Girl Waits with Gun? Very well done, I thought, and based on a true story to boot! I heard the second in the series is just out.

Can relate to your need to escape the real news. I keep watching old episodes of The West Wing as a palate cleanser.

message 29: by Jan (new)

Jan | 1804 comments Hi, Laura, I enjoy the Molly Murphy and Lady Georgiana series by Rhys Bowen, set in the early 1900's and 1930's respectively. Great female heroines written with a sense of time and location. Really enjoyable.
Murphy's Law
Her Royal Spyness

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 70 comments Jan "don't blame me, I also voted for Hillary" wrote: "Hi, Laura, I enjoy the Molly Murphy and Lady Georgiana series by Rhys Bowen, set in the early 1900's and 1930's respectively. Great female heroines written with a sense of time and location. Really..."

the molly murphy series is next on my list!

Abigail wrote: "Hi, Laura, I know of a book set in the USA that otherwise matches your criteria. Have you read Girl Waits with Gun? Very well done, I thought, and based on a true story to boot! I h..."

I will have to check that one out, thanks for the suggestion!

i'm currently in the middle of the gaslight mysteries....picking up the first one a couple of weeks ago and finding out there were 20 books already in the series was like sitting down and binging on an entire couple of seasons of my favorite tv show.

message 31: by Rachelnyc (last edited Jan 18, 2018 05:57PM) (new)

Rachelnyc Hi I'm Rachel from New York. I have always been a reader and lover of historical fiction but also have a somewhat demanding job and reading took a back seat for awhile.

Last year, the Goodreads challenge helped keep me on track so this year I figured I'd go "all in" and join a couple of groups to get even more out of it. I'm open to all periods of history and locations but as a Francophile, I particularly love books set in France, especially Paris.

message 32: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryhagen14yahoocom) | 70 comments I'm reading THE SUMMER BEFORE THE WAR by Simonson and I can hardly put it down.

message 33: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments I loved that book, too, Mary! (view spoiler) (My spoiler doesn’t give away any plot, only mood.)

message 34: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryhagen14yahoocom) | 70 comments Research is my favorite part of writing my historical novels. I want them as accurate as possible. When I read historical fiction, I expect the history to be accurate. If it isn't, I have trouble finishing the book.

message 35: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Turmel (wayneturmel) | 32 comments Research is critical, and if I may sound a warning, it can also get in the way. Some writers take a "Tom Clancy" approach where everything needs to be explained in minute detail and detracts from what could otherwise be an exciting or dramatic story, but we get two paragraphs on how that particular vase came to be on the shelf. We need to know our research, but not necessarily show every second of it on the page. I love detail, not design specs.

message 36: by D.B. (last edited Jan 21, 2018 09:36AM) (new)

D.B. Woodling Trish wrote: "Hi, I'm Trish, author from the UK, live in the US. My HR series is Redway Acres.

Love reading HR and my other reading passion is detective series. Very sad over the recent death of Sue Grafton.

I..."
Hi Trish! I recently finished reading (and reviewed) Sue Grafton's X. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... She will be greatly missed.

message 37: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Woodling Wayne wrote: "Research is critical, and if I may sound a warning, it can also get in the way. Some writers take a "Tom Clancy" approach where everything needs to be explained in minute detail and detracts from w..."
I couldn't agree more, Wayne. I've tossed many a book aside because there were too many unnecessary (and boring) insertions.

message 38: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Woodling Wonderful to see so many new members! Historical Fiction is possibly the most fascinating genre, as it merges the old with the new. Although I am a multi-genre author (and probably shouldn't admit this),Shannon's Land and Shannon's Revenge remain my personal favorites for that very reason.

message 39: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Woodling Rachelnyc wrote: "Hi I'm Rachel from New York. I have always been a reader and lover of historical fiction but also have a somewhat demanding job and reading took a back seat for awhile.

Last year, the Goodreads ch..."

Welcome Rachelync! As you mentioned that you particularly enjoy novels set in France, if you haven't read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, I would highly recommend it!

message 40: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) A big welcome to all new members!

I'm a great fan of historical fiction with particular interest in European (English & French), Chinese and Russian history.

On the question of research, I belong to the camp who would like a balance between accurate historical background/details and artistic license. Having said that, I know many readers would prefer a smooth story flow to being bogged down by history. My own area of writing interest is Chinese-history-related novels and it's been a challenge to strike a balance between the desire to share Chinese history with a Western audience who may not be familiar with it and the need to not distract readers too much with historical details. One can only try :)

message 41: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryhagen14yahoocom) | 70 comments I agree, Wayne and Alice, we can't let historical facts get in the way of the story we are writing. I often become to fascinated with the facts so I do struggle leaving out much of what I learn. Doing research does help with the sense of time and atmosphere I try to put in my writing. To all of you and your comments, I learn from you and love goodreads.

message 42: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Martin I’m a new member and I enjoyed Salt to the Sea. I joined to read more historical fiction and discuss it. I am finding the threads a bit daunting. For the record, I’m a non-fiction author but haven’t done a book in ages. I worked on some college essays and some real estate ads last year.

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 100 comments Welcome Lillian from one author to another! I've just taken a look at your business devotions book - it looks terrific! And I well remember the sayings of Zig Ziglar when I was out in the corporate world.

message 44: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Jasmine | 1246 comments Mod
Lillian wrote: "I’m a new member and I enjoyed Salt to the Sea. I joined to read more historical fiction and discuss it. I am finding the threads a bit daunting. For the record, I’m a non-fiction author but haven’..."

Welcome Lillian. If you have any questions please feel free to ask them. With the threads just jump in! They never close so you can contribute whenever you are able to read the book.

message 45: by Judy (new)

Judy Robertson | 1 comments Hello, my name is Judy and I live in Phoenix AZ with my three teens. I just found this group tonight and am thrilled. I never knew I was a historical fiction buff until I kept picking books from the genre. I always said "fiction", but I'm drawn to the history of the English (love watching PBS Master theatre) which drives my kids crazy. They call me a nerd. I'm currently reading anything I can get my hands on from Ken Follett. I am also making my way through the Outlander series. Anyway, that's me and I look forward to the group pics and discussions.

Judy

message 46: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments Welcome, Judy! You’ll find lots of inspiration to fuel your “fiction” addiction here.

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 100 comments Hello, and welcome, Judy. Abigail is right: you'll find plenty of suggestions to whet your appetite here.

Hope you enjoy finding out about new books and new reading friends.

I've just read your profile and I had to laugh!

I also listen to more books than I can read and Ken Follett is next on my list (just finishing a Lynne Truss).

Currently reading one of Abigail's!

message 48: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 24 comments Hi! I've just joined the group. I've been on Goodreads for a long time, but never joined a group. I've just ordered Homegoing, and I'm excited to dive right in. I'm Stephanie. I live in midwest Missouri. I homeschool 3 children aged 3,8,13. My oldest son is in his second semester at college. I am so excited to jump right in to this group and get going, but I'm not sure exactly what a goodreads group is all about, so I'm going to read, lurk, and learn!

message 49: by Stacey B (new)

Stacey B Welcome Stephanie.
Though I havent been in this group as long as others, it is a fun group.
Its very easy to manipulate through to understand.
There is so much valuable info here and one can see just how many extremely intelligent members in the group.
I could find at least two new books a day from this group.
Enjoy!!!!

message 50: by David (new)

David Patneaude | 12 comments Hi, I'm Dave (David on my books and when my mother was mad at me). I've been on Goodreads for a long time. I've used the site as a valuable source of book recommendations, and I've written a number of book reviews over the years. This is my first group. My reading habits are eclectic, but I have a fondness for WWII-era historical fiction and nonfiction. I'm the author of one young adult novel with that setting, and I'm working on some others. I sometimes wonder if the era will be over-mined, but it's so rich in real-life characters and stories and imagination-spurring incidents, in conflict between societies and ideas and personalities, that I don't see it going away as a source of new tales, or of interest on the part of readers.

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.