Read Scotland 2018 discussion

Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
This topic is about Flesh House
Robert Burns: 6-10 Books > Ellen's Scottish mysteries/thrillers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ellen (last edited Jan 09, 2018 02:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ellen | 87 comments These 3 authors are my choice for reading 6-10 books in 2018. Stuart MacBride, Ian Rankin and James Oswald.

Ellen | 87 comments My review for Flesh House by Stuart MacBride.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
Great review, Ellen :) The Flesher sounds scary, is it squeamish? I’m squeamish! Though reading about DI Insch does appeal to me as I’ve got a very handsome alpaca called Insch.

Susan Wright | 39 comments Ellen wrote: "Great review, Ellen :) The Flesher sounds scary, is it squeamish? I’m squeamish! Though reading about DI Insch does appeal to me as I’ve got a very handsome alpaca called Insch."

Definitely would not recommend this one if you're squeamish. One of his most disturbing reads.

Ellen | 87 comments Ellen wrote: "Great review, Ellen :) The Flesher sounds scary, is it squeamish? I’m squeamish! Though reading about DI Insch does appeal to me as I’ve got a very handsome alpaca called Insch."

You'll be squeamish all right with this entry! And Insch!!! You'll have to read this story to find out about Insch. I'm not telling. lol.

message 6: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Great review, Ellen :) The Flesher sounds scary, is it squeamish? I’m squeamish! Though reading about DI Insch does appeal to me as I’ve got a very handsome alpaca called Insch."

You..."

Haha! Fair enough!

Ellen | 87 comments My review for The Falls by Ian Rankin.

Ellen | 87 comments I just finished Rankin's A Question of Blood. My 11th Rebus mystery. The author's love of Edinburgh and the camaraderie of each character interacting with Rebus makes these books a 2nd home for me.
my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Ellen | 87 comments Hidden Depths by Ann Cleeves.

VERA is a solitary figure. She lives alone and rarely has guests/visitors except for Joe Ashworth her back up on the police force. The pub(s) are also not her usual haunt since she prefers to drink in the privacy of her home. These traits are what set VERA apart from other Scottish detectives. I became aware of the differences while reading Hidden Depths, finding it a bit difficult to stay focused. The riotous social life or chaotic police station conflicts didn't exist as they do in the other series' I'd become addicted to. Nevertheless, VERA is her own person and apologizes to no one for her chosen way of life.
The first victim was found by his mother strangled and in the bath surrounded by flowers. Luke Armstrong had no enemies or that was the story VERA was handed by almost everyone including his parents. He was a needy child with an attentive Mom. VERA had to think fast to prevent another murder from taking place...was this the beginning of a serial murderer having his/her way or did other murders already take place.
A good read for VERA fans and the 3rd in the series.

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "Hidden Depths by Ann Cleeves.

VERA is a solitary figure. She lives alone and rarely has guests/visitors except for Joe Ashworth her back up on the police force. The pub(s) are also not her usual h..."

Great description, Ellen. It’s interesting to note the differences of characters and police culture in these books...

Ellen | 87 comments I tried to erase my review for this Vera book since it is not Scottish. my mistake for not realizing that sooner. it seems I compare every book to my Scottish authors. currently reading Blind Eye by Stuart MacBride & loving it.

Ellen | 87 comments Yesterday I had a thrill receiving a response to my comment about James Oswald's latest book not being released here in the States for another few months. James Oswald commented: I hope you won't wait too long.
Of course it was on his website, but still how many authors actually answer a comment? Tickled pink!

Ellen | 87 comments Just finished Blind Eye by Stuart MacBride. I have entered Aberdeen and it's culture. There's no turning back. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

Ellen | 87 comments Rebus is tops. There is just no getting him down. The more obstacles thrown in his path the more bound and determined he becomes. I must add the author's love of Scotland especially Aberdeen comes through in Rebus. My review for The Black Book by Ian Rankin: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 15: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "Rebus is tops. There is just no getting him down. The more obstacles thrown in his path the more bound and determined he becomes. I must add the author's love of Scotland especially Aberdeen comes ..."

Great review, Ellen. I want to try read more Ian Rankin. He visits Orkney a lot for holidays and I'm always off to Aberdeen for hospital appointments - so really should give him a shot!

Ellen | 87 comments Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Rebus is tops. There is just no getting him down. The more obstacles thrown in his path the more bound and determined he becomes. I must add the author's love of Scotland especially A..."
Wow! You actually live there! Fascinating. I'm guessing that most of the places that Rebus frequents are all fictional with just enough actual local to keep us interested.

Ellen | 87 comments Finished listening to Tooth & Nail by Ian Rankin. I usually read the book, but this time I went back to Rebus' start. All the way back to book 3 in his series on CD. Samuel Gillies narrated/performed this entry so well without losing the Scottish lilt...and I could understand every word without a problem. The ending had me panting as I ran after Rebus all the way to the end. My review for Tooth & Nail: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Ellen | 87 comments Finished this evening "Set in Darkness" by Ian Rankin.

Ellen | 87 comments Finished the Last(?) Rebus entry-Exit Music.

Ellen | 87 comments I've added a new Scottish author to my list-Peter May. The Black House if the first in a trilogy. I found it to be an exceptional book by a gifted author and the winner of the Barry Award for Best Novel. My review for the Black House: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 21: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "I've added a new Scottish author to my list-Peter May. The Black House if the first in a trilogy. I found it to be an exceptional book by a gifted author and the winner of the Barry Award for Best ..."

Glad you enjoyed this book, Ellen, I did too. I've yet to read the other two of the trilogy but hear they're brilliant. I had a feeling you would like Peter May :)

Ellen | 87 comments Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "I've added a new Scottish author to my list-Peter May. The Black House if the first in a trilogy. I found it to be an exceptional book by a gifted author and the winner of the Barry A..."
The entire trilogy has received rave reviews from other mystery lovers in my groups. The author's connecting the past with the present was nothing short of remarkable and added so much to the depth of the main character(s).

Ellen | 87 comments My review for Dark Blood by Stuart MacBride has a change from my other reviews. Frustration with a certain character has caused a negative riff in my following this series for a while.
my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 24: by Lorna (last edited Apr 21, 2018 01:40AM) (new)

Lorna (rogue_librarian) | 27 comments Ellen wrote: "I've added a new Scottish author to my list-Peter May. The Black House if the first in a trilogy. I found it to be an exceptional book by a gifted author and the winner of the Barry Award for Best ..."
I love this trilogy! I was excited to learn that Peter May has a new stand-alone book I'll Keep You Safe set in Harris but unfortunately the reviews haven't been good.

Ellen | 87 comments I just started the 2nd in the trilogy by Peter May-The Lewis Man. I appreciate the change in pace, fewer characters and the shorter chapters. all makes for an enjoyable read at a faster pace.

Ellen | 87 comments Is it possible for the 2nd book to be better than the 1st book? When Peter May is the author...undeniably YES!!!
My review for The Lewis Man by Peter May.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/edit...

Ellen | 87 comments My review for The Chessmen by Peter May. the 3rd in The Lewis Trilogy.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/edit...

Ellen | 87 comments My review for The Hanging Garden by Ian Rankin.

Ellen | 87 comments I think I should bump myself up since I've read 13 Scottish mysteries so far and have another Rebus on my tbr pile. How do I get myself to the next group and take all my already read books with me?

message 30: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "I think I should bump myself up since I've read 13 Scottish mysteries so far and have another Rebus on my tbr pile. How do I get myself to the next group and take all my already read books with me?"

Hi Ellen, to be honest I’m not sure how to do this so that you keep all your books on this thread. There are two options: start a new thread under the next level you want to accomplish and then continue listing your books from there; or continue to list books here on this thread, maybe stating the level you want to accomplish. Last year I did the second. Sorry I can’t think of a way to carry this thread to a new one :(

Ellen | 87 comments Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "I think I should bump myself up since I've read 13 Scottish mysteries so far and have another Rebus on my tbr pile. How do I get myself to the next group and take all my already read ..."
OK. thanks. I think next year I may go up a level, hoping I haven't already read most of the Scottish mysteries by then. lol.

Ellen | 87 comments Dead Souls (Rebus #10) my review:

Ellen | 87 comments Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "I think I should bump myself up since I've read 13 Scottish mysteries so far and have another Rebus on my tbr pile. How do I get myself to the next group and take all my..."
Ellen, I just submitted my latest Rebus on the next level. I may go back and enter my other Scottish mysteries if I don't think I can finish the entire amount before the end of the year. already starting another Peter May book.

message 34: by Ellen (new)

Fantastic :) You’re soon going to be an expert on Scottish murder mysteries!

Ellen | 87 comments Ellen wrote: "Fantastic :) You’re soon going to be an expert on Scottish murder mysteries!"

It appears that I'm just another Scottish mystery addict. lol.

Ellen | 87 comments My review for Standing in Another Man's Grave (Rebus, #18) by Ian Rankin.

Ellen | 87 comments I had decided not to continue reading Stuart MacBride's Login series after becoming frustrated with a returning character in it. well, I've found that the character I detest has been downgraded or so it sounds and I have Close to the Bone in my tbr pile next to my bed. Go figure.

Ellen | 87 comments So much for not continuing Stuart MacBride's series. I chose to skip the 7th book and read the 8th. My review will tell of my happy surprise in how my frustration was dealt with.
Close to the Bone by Stuart MacBride. My review:

message 39: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "So much for not continuing Stuart MacBride's series. I chose to skip the 7th book and read the 8th. My review will tell of my happy surprise in how my frustration was dealt with.
Close to the Bone ..."

Hi Ellen, great review! Glad they’re slowly getting rid of that annoying character :)

I must admit, I picked up the first Stuart MacBride book from the library - Cold Grantie, was it? I suddenly felt squeamish and returned it. Are the books very gruesome? Are they all similar in this way? Sometimes I’m fine with gruesome, I read James Oswald’s Natural Causes and was (mostly) fine. Peter May I can read no bother. It’s odd why I turned chicken with Stuart MacBride...

Anyway, glad you’re back on track with the series, sometimes skipping books is the best thing.

Ellen | 87 comments Hi Ellen,
Yes, quite gruesome.. He's not my favorite but I've been waiting for about 1 year for the latest James Oswald so...
Just thought I would let you know that a few of us Scottish mystery addicts/lovers have started to seriously consider (?) a trip to Scotland in the distant future. I'd love to see the places Rebus and Inspector McClean frequented. Morse always being the first in place for us.

Ellen | 87 comments Ellen, I wanted to share with you that a few avid readers of Scottish mysteries have been discussing the possibilities of visiting Scotland in the future. Ian Rankin (Rebus) will be touring England in October to promote his new rebus book. That's interesting. I know they have an Inspector Morse tour in England around Oxford I would think. I sent a post to Mr. Rankin regarding his thoughts on a Rebus tour in Scotland. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

message 42: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "Ellen, I wanted to share with you that a few avid readers of Scottish mysteries have been discussing the possibilities of visiting Scotland in the future. Ian Rankin (Rebus) will be touring England..."

Thank you, I’ll keep my eyes open for this! Are you thinking of visiting Scotland/England? If you are, let me know where you’re heading! I used to live near Oxford as a kid but didn’t go there often, I have no clear memory of the place, which is a shame as it is a stunning city! Where are the Scottish mysteries mostly set that you are interested in? I REALLY need to start reading Rebus so I know this stuff! I know how much you love it, I think there’s a new book out...

Also, thanks for your previous message, I’ll think I’ll give MacBride a miss for now until I run out of Scottish crime to read! (Sorry I didn’t see this sooner, for some reason Goodread’s is not notifying me on every post, but I’ll make a habit of checking here anyway!)

Ellen | 87 comments Edinburgh would be the hotspot I'd want to visit if I ever get there. Please look through my Ian Rankin reviews & pick one you like. House of Lies comes out in October & Rankin will be touring England at that time

message 44: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "Edinburgh would be the hotspot I'd want to visit if I ever get there. Please look through my Ian Rankin reviews & pick one you like. House of Lies comes out in October & Rankin will be touring Engl..."

Edinburgh is a lovey city, went there just the once when I was a teenager. It left quite a big impression on me. I’ll take a look at your reviews and pick one - I can’t imagine he wouldn’t tour Scotland with his new book, hope he does soon and you guys can plan your trip!

Ellen | 87 comments Now that James Oswald's newest (?) and 8th Inspector McClean book, the Gathering Dark, has once again been delayed from being published in the States until the end of august -mid September ...I have ordered & bought the book (which is something I had vowed never to do after working at the library for several years) from the U.K. When I finally get this book you will hear me shouting hallelujah from across the pond!!!
btw...Mr. Oswald didn't think his 6th & 7th in this series had been published in the States. Well, not only did my trusty library get them both for me, but I also reviewed them both!

message 46: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "Now that James Oswald's newest (?) and 8th Inspector McClean book, the Gathering Dark, has once again been delayed from being published in the States until the end of august -mid September ...I hav..."

Hope the book arrives there soon! :)

Ellen | 87 comments at long last it finally arrived in my mail from the U.K. The Gathering Dark by James Oswald

Ellen | 87 comments Ian Rankin will be at the Boucheron in St. Petersburg florida this Saturday. He's being interviewed by Lawrence Block. The cost is too high but I'm hoping it will be much less for this one author. Who knows. Very excited.

message 49: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "Ian Rankin will be at the Boucheron in St. Petersburg florida this Saturday. He's being interviewed by Lawrence Block. The cost is too high but I'm hoping it will be much less for this one author. ..."

Oooh, hope you can make it! Are you on Twitter? He's on there, his tag name @Beathhigh :)

Ellen | 87 comments Thanks Ellen. I don't do Twitter, but I sent him a message on hi Fb website. It's a good thing I didn't go, a pipe burst in back of the kitchen sink & flooded the garage. Waiting for the plumber now. Btw- they won't accept anything less than the full price. I asked Ian if they would record the interview so fans could buy it

« previous 1