The Reading Challenge Group discussion

War and Peace
This topic is about War and Peace
Buddy-Reads > War & Peace General Discussion (2018)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Allison, Quest Hound (last edited Feb 16, 2018 10:50AM) (new) - added it

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
We're starting a buddy read of War and Peace in February. Anyone can join! It's going to take some of us a while, so feel free to join anytime during the year.

This is the perfect year to take the plunge, since Tolstoy is one of this year's anniversary authors. The book also counts as a Shelf Bender at over 1000 pages.

There was a buddy read in 2015 with threads for each 'book' within the book. Since this breaks up the reading so nicely and allows for different paced readers, we will be re-using these for our discussions.

To avoid spoilers for those who are reading at a slower pace, please use the individual threads to discuss each book.

**General discussion only in this thread, please.

Discussion Threads:

Book 1
Book 2
Book 3
Book 4
Book 5
Book 6
Book 7
Book 8
Book 9
Book 10
Book 11
Books 12-15
Epilogues

message 2: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Smeal | 99 comments I'm excited about this since I've always wanted to read the book but never had enough motivation to get me the whole way through. I'm fine with using the old threads they do look like they break the book up nicely.

message 3: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

Plus, we'll be able to see what the previous group thought about it too. I saw that there's a discussion about which translation is best. I'm going to see which ones my library has.

message 4: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee M | 4719 comments Mod
I'm so excited to see the W&P threads are getting new life! I'm looking forward to seeing all the new comments. I thought it was a terrific read. :D

message 5: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rosemarie | 3803 comments Mod
I read it years ago. You are in for a treat. It is a great book.

message 6: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

I'm glad to know both of you enjoyed it, and thanks for letting us re-use the threads Renee!

message 7: by Lake (new) - added it

Lake I'm in! Chances are I'll have to read it for a class at some point down the line; I might as well do it on my own time, and with people to talk to about it.

Roseanne | 1223 comments Oh wow. This was my favorite buddy read ever when we did it a few years ago.

message 9: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

Glad to have you join us, Lau!

message 10: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny Clark | 1534 comments Mod
I'm excited for this!

message 11: by Martha (new) - added it

Martha (marthag503) | 0 comments I'll take the plunge.

message 12: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

Glad to have you along, Martha.

Sharif | 1 comments I read it and absolutely loved it. This time it would be great to go over it as a group.

message 14: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Smeal | 99 comments I got my book today. I got it for $5 at Barnes and Noble! Excited!

message 15: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

Great deal, Kiersten!

message 16: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kiersten, I think you have the same version I do then!

message 17: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Smeal | 99 comments It's the Barnes and Noble Classic translated by Constance Garnett!

message 18: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yep! Same one LOL

message 19: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Smeal | 99 comments I'm glad it is! That way if there's any major difference or anything... at least I'm not alone haha! Since translations can be tricky sometimes!

Roseanne | 1223 comments OMG this is crazy but seeing this makes me want to read it again.

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lol. Great book plus great company!

Roseanne | 1223 comments I just realized I only gave it 4 stars. Really?

message 23: by Lake (new) - added it

Lake Just got my copy! Super excited to read it :D

message 24: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

I'm going to try a signet classics version translated by Ann Dunnigan.

Looking forward to getting started soon!

message 25: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

I should be starting this tonight, once I finish my current book. Is anyone else there yet?

message 26: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Smeal | 99 comments Will be starting tomorrow after I finish my book as well.

message 27: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I won't be starting till wendsday. I am going to treat this as my weekend book rather than try and lug it to work!

message 28: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

Wise choice, Jenny! Much better for your back. :)

I will probably be reading it alongside other books until (hopefully) I get into it. I read the first couple chapters last night, and then took a break.

message 29: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Smeal | 99 comments I have finally started, and I really think I'm going to enjoy this read!

message 30: by Lake (new) - added it

Lake I just started yesterday. Only got a few pages in but I’m liking it so far!

message 31: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

I thought the opening scene was difficult to follow - so many characters at once! But now that it's following one or two at a time, I'm starting to sort them out.

Does anyone know why there are so many princes? It doesn't seem like they are related to each other.

message 32: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Smeal | 99 comments From my understanding Prince is just a title of high status. So these would be those underneath those of the count. I could be wrong though.

message 33: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Prince and Princess are titles used by those removed from the imperial family. If I am remembering correctly, the imperial children are grand duke and duchess, as are the siblings of the tsar and tsarina. The grand duke/ duchess's children are also grand duke/duchess, but after that thier children are prince/princess and that continues forever. So, the princes and princesses could be the great great great neices and nephews of the first imperial couples sister/brother.

message 34: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

Ok, that helps a lot! Thanks :)

message 35: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

You're welcome:) I wish I could remember where I learned that but I can't... I think it was one of the books I read about the Rominavs (I probably butchered that spellung)

message 36: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Smeal | 99 comments Has anyone else finished part one?

message 37: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

Not yet. I need more reading time!

message 38: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Smeal | 99 comments I get that! A new college semester just started up so I'm afraid my reading time may begin to dwindle down!

message 39: by Lake (new) - added it

Lake All my professors decided February was a good month to assign a ton of projects, but I think I’ll finish up part one this weekend if all goes well!

message 40: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

Same here - I should be able to get some good reading in this weekend.

message 41: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Weekend? Whats that? LOL. I had OT yesterday, and have it again tomorrow so I basically have no days off, thanks to me sleeping really badly and inconsistently... I'll still try and make a start tonight if I can stay up long enough!

message 42: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've just started, and I must say from the notes about Tolstoy I had no clue he was like that! I always saw him as a serious professor type but oh no...

message 43: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

*reminds self to read about Tolstoy*

Roseanne | 1223 comments If only I were born 100 years earlier on a different continent.....

message 45: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renee, I have the B and N classucs edition which has a brief biography of him, and a timeline of his life. That was very informative about the true Tolstoy.

message 46: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roseanne, I know right! That would have been interesting!

message 47: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

What is War and Peace, according to Tolstoy
"War and Peace is what the author wished to express and was able to express in that form in which it is expressed"

message 48: by Allison, Quest Hound (new) - added it

Very enlightening!

message 49: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yep! My thoughts exactly!

message 50: by Trisha (last edited Feb 10, 2018 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 791 comments I’m joining in late - hope you don’t mind. I knew nothing about this book except that it’s massive. Then I looked at this discussion, so read a preview of the book & decided to try it. If it goes horribly wrong, remember it’s all your fault ;-))

« previous 1