The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

The Catcher in the Rye
This topic is about The Catcher in the Rye
Book Discussions > Catcher in the Rye

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L. (new)

L. (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
The January group read will be Catcher in the Rye! Sophia will be leading discussion for this book, so lookout for her post(s) below. In the meantime, let us know you'll be joining in on the discussion by commenting below!

halliemckenna I will be joining!

message 3: by Hans (new)

Hans Yu | 1 comments I do not exactly know how this work since this would be my first time, but I am keen to join, too! :-)

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2 comments I just moved to a new place so I don't know where my copy is exactly, but I'll be joining the moment I've found it!

message 5: by Kiya (new)

Kiya (kiyajade) Count me in! :)

Noiresque | 1 comments I am here for this!

message 7: by Lara (new) - added it

Lara I will join in in the second half of January as I need to finish a novel for my literature seminar first :)

message 8: by Andi (new) - added it

Andi M (andijlm) | 2 comments I am in!

Sophia (wortschnatz) | 31 comments I am happy to be your discussion leader this month, since I can't wait to start the book! I first have to finish my current book, but I have a few questions for you, to get into this one.

Is this your first group read in this group or did you manage to join one of the other discussions before?

Did you already read the book for fun or for school/university?

Have you any particular expectations in this book, or are you going completely neutral into the novel?

Can't wait to hear from you and start this book!

Elisabeth | 4 comments I just read this book and won‘t be reading it again, but I‘m looking forward to the discussion!

Sophia (wortschnatz) | 31 comments Kiya, i think you meant the Anna karenina Thread, this one is for The Catcher in the Rye :) but sure you can read with us here too!

message 12: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori Johnson I'm in! This is my 1st group read as I just joined the group a few weeks ago. I've never read Catcher in the Rye before and I have no expectations about it. I'm excited to get started. :)

Kelly | 20 comments I’m in! I’ve read “The Catcher in the Rye,” in high school (11 years ago). I remember not liking it, because of all the curse words thrown around and the lack of an actual plot; just a highly moody teenager whose a dropout. Everyone talks so highly of it and I really do not see why. Let’s see if my thoughts on Catcher changes!

message 14: by Elba (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I am looking forward to reading Catcher in the Rye this January. I read the book in high school and it had a big impact on me. Now that I am much older I wonder how I will feel. Thank you Sophia for leading the discussion this month. I am curious to find out which GG episode Catcher in the Rye was mentioned. I seem to remember a reference to the main character in one of the episodes.

Dorothy Long I will be joining later this month.

Justine (jaimelinus0316) | 3 comments I didn't like Catcher in the Rye the first time I read it, but I'm going to give it another shot.

Windy | 44 comments I'm in! I have no expectations going into this one, so it should be interesting.

message 18: by Kiya (new)

Kiya (kiyajade) Sophia wrote: "Kiya, i think you meant the Anna karenina Thread, this one is for The Catcher in the Rye :) but sure you can read with us here too!"

Oops! I'm planning on reading both so I'll have to work on not mixing up my threads! ha

message 19: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe (zoemmaude) | 46 comments Linda wrote: "I just moved to a new place so I don't know where my copy is exactly, but I'll be joining the moment I've found it!"

Exactly the same for me, Linda!

Debbie (debblett) I’m in! This is my first group read. I haven’t read it before, I’ve borrowed my Mum’s copy and she hated it, but I’m keeping an open mind!

message 21: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 05, 2018 04:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chelsea | 11 comments Elba wrote: "I am looking forward to reading Catcher in the Rye this January. I read the book in high school and it had a big impact on me. Now that I am much older I wonder how I will feel. Thank you Sophia fo..."

Yes me too -- I first read it when I was 14 and it had a deep impact on me as well, and was one of my favorite books for a long time. I had a really personal connection with Holden. I read it several times after, although I haven't read it since college over a decade ago. I might read it again if I get a hold of a copy, but part of me doesn't want to read it because I'm afraid I'll ruin it reading it as an adult lol

Sophia (wortschnatz) | 31 comments I assume, that at least a few of us already startet reading this month book "The catcher in the Rye".

So let's start with our first discussion! How is the reading going for you so far, especially: How do you like the writing? A few here said, that they found the language quite annoying, since there is a lot of swearing. What do you think about cursing in books, is it something that doesn't bother you at all or are you unable to stand it? Or is it only okay at some occasions, if yes, where do you draw the line?

I would love to hear your opinions. We are people from all over the world and different ages and personalities in this book club, I am excited to see, what you think about this topic!

message 23: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 231 comments Mod
I started this book in 2017 and had to put it aside. Hoping to start it again as soon as I finish Kafka's The Trial.

Justine Katja | 2 comments It’s my first time taking part of a discussion in one of these groups (I recently discovered this app heh). So yeah, I’ve already read The Cather In The Rye and I actually find it really good, and funny in some ways. :)

message 25: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna (jennabgemini) I'm in but I'm waiting on my copy to arrive still. :D

Is this your first group read in this group or did you manage to join one of the other discussions before?
Yes

Did you already read the book for fun or for school/university?
First read :)

Have you any particular expectations in this book, or are you going completely neutral into the novel?
No expectations

Also, cursing doesn't bother me at all so not worried about that unless its meaningless... so we'll have to see

message 26: by Lindsey (new) - added it

Lindsey Buis | 3 comments Hi! I'm in. This is my first time discussing for this group. I have never read Cather in the Rye before, but I am excited to read it. Mainly due to the amount of allusions I have seen pertaining to the novel. Although, it does have some weird history as John Lennon's assassin read it and there were a couple other shootings related. I typically have heard that if you read the book by yourself (ie not for a class ) when you are younger, you usually love it. If you read it when you are older, you tend to not like it as much.

Cursing doesn't bother me, especially if it's artful.

message 27: by Bery (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bery (bery91) | 2 comments Hi, it's my first time in a group reading. I haven't read thi book. I don't have any specific expectations about it. I will start reading it, just after I finished my current book!!!

Colleen (miniguinea73) As soon as I finish dealing with Heathcliff and Catherine, I'll be in on this one.

I've never read this. I know nearly nothing about the story. All I know is the connection to Lennon's death. So I'm interested to read it (not just because of Lennon, but because of the story itself).

Sophia (wortschnatz) | 31 comments Lindsey wrote: "Although, it does have some weird history as John Lennon's assassin read it and there were a couple other shootings related."

I didn't know, that there was a connection. Do you happen to have a good article or something about it?

message 30: by Lindsey (new) - added it

Lindsey Buis | 3 comments Sophia wrote: "Lindsey wrote: "Although, it does have some weird history as John Lennon's assassin read it and there were a couple other shootings related."

I didn't know, that there was a connection. Do you hap..."

I guess I should have noted that there are a lot of conspiracy theories that there are a lot of shootings related, but nothing scholarly is written about this necessarily. I don't believe in conspiracies myself, but it's cool to look at. If you go down the internet rabbit hole, you will get hits on if this is an assassination trigger, who people believe read this. Wikipedia mentions the specific ones that people talk about. (Hinkley for example allegedly had it in his hotel room prior to his attempt on Reagan, I'm not sure if that part is an urban myth though- He was also obsessed with the movie Taxi Driver). The big one though is Mark David Chapman and Lennon (Interesting that Helter Skelter is connected with Manson as well)

I do have some other good articles that I can share about the book and Salinger himself once we get to certain topics. There's a movie about his life as well as the book. I haven't watched or seen either.

Debbie (debblett) I fell down that rabbit hole! I hadn't heard about the John Lennon connection until now.

I don't mind swearing in books at all, if it feels authentic. I swear like a docker myself.

Cindy Walsh (cindyrunner) | 38 comments I will be joining as soon as I get my copy from Thriftbooks... Should be here this week... My first time reading this book... I read all of your posts above and I am looking forward to reading it... Sounds like it is a book you either like or don't....

Sophia (wortschnatz) | 31 comments Lindsey wrote: "I do have some other good articles that I can share about the book and Salinger himself"

I would love to read those articles, do you want to share the links?

We are now two weeks into the book, how is it going for you all so far?

My next discussion topic for you is all about the protagonist Holden Caulfield. What do you think about him? Can you relate to what he's saying and doing?

I could relate so much to Holden. Many people think, he is just awful, but somehow he reminded me so much in so many ways of myself, when I was a teenager. I thought, I knew everything better than everybody else. I was judging and broke rules. I tried to be authentic and cool.

I feel like Holden is a very sad person. But even, if he is not able to connect with everybody, he is still such a wonderful brother and he tries to excuse wrong actions by others. I feel like he is somehow misunderstood.

What thoughts do you have about him while reading? I would love to hear your thoughts!

Windy | 44 comments I just finished the book. I tend to be a glass half full type of person, so honestly, I was not a fan of Holden and his negativity. Throughout the entire book I kept wanting to scream at him to get psychiatric help for his deep rooted issues, and that not everything is as bad as he makes them out to be.

Kelly | 20 comments Windy, I would have to agree with you. This is my second time reading “Catcher in the Rye,” and I just can’t get over Holden’s increasingly annoying attitude towards anyone and everything.

I am a happy-go-lucky person, and I can’t stand the foul language every couple of sentences, and his highly repetitive nature when trying to describe a person or situation. Holden usually has to say things about 2-3 times, just with different wording to convey a topic.

I am finding it increasingly difficult to get through this book the second time, and hope it is not going to slow down my Rory reading challenge. I will persevere and get through this book so I can check it off my poster I bought that has the whole list!

Sophia (wortschnatz) | 31 comments Kelly wrote: "I will persevere and get through this book so I can check it off my poster I bought that has the whole list!"

Oh, what poster is this and where is it from?

Kelly | 20 comments I ordered it off of Etsy.com. Type up Rory’s Reading List. It has all the books on a poster and I get to check them off as I go. I’m a visual person so having that, I can see where I am with the Challenge. It may be up to date, it may not, but it is really close. I also printed out the Day in the life Book list and will be working on that one as well.

message 38: by Elba (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I really liked this book as a teen and now as an adult I enjoyed it as well. As an adult I picked up on the isolation that Holden must be going through and as a mom I really think Holden needs a hug and a bent ear to listen. He has a traumatic experience in his past causing him intense emotional distress, but no one to guide him from peers, parents or adults. I think his cynical attitude about hating everything and everyone is a coping mechanism to deal with the reality that he is hurting inside (classic teenager). It is simpler to hate everything and think everyone is a phony. For Holden existing in modern society as an adult is too much to handle. He is so alone, at a boarding school, and his parents are dealing with their own stuff and just don't know how to reach out to him. Poor Holden,,,he needs help. Wonder if he will get the help he needs. The time period that the novel takes place in (1940's) mental health issues were not talked about and the upper class families though it tabu. This comes up in GG with Emily not being open to discuss difficult family issues, but Lorelai and Rory really help to bridge this gap. The Lennon connection to the book is really interesting as his killer believed himself to be Holden. After stabbing Lennon, the killer was found reading Catcher in the Rye. Does anyone have anymore information? Does this mean that if Holden does not get the help he needs he too will resort to violence? So sad, Lennon was such a peaceful person, to come to this end is tragic. Thanks for reading and look forward to what you all thing of the book.

message 39: by Elba (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments Kelly wrote: "I ordered it off of Etsy.com. Type up Rory’s Reading List. It has all the books on a poster and I get to check them off as I go. I’m a visual person so having that, I can see where I am with the Ch..."
Cool. I will check this poster out. Thanks for sharing.

Sophia (wortschnatz) | 31 comments Kelly wrote: "http://etsy.me/2aRMD2k"

Thank you for sharing that awesome poster! Sadly, that etsy shop doesn't ship to my country, but I will definetly search for something similar on etsy later.

Elba wrote: " For Holden existing in modern society as an adult is too much to handle. He is so alone, at a boarding school, and his parents are dealing with their own stuff and just don't know how to reach out to him."

This is, what I felt, too. I just want to hug him somehow and help him.

Elba wrote: "He has a traumatic experience in his past causing him intense emotional distress, but no one to guide him from peers, parents or adults."

Which traumatic experience in his past are you refering to? I think there are multiple aspects, that played into his current situation, such as the "accident" that happened to the boy in the boarding school but also the sexual harassment he had to experience at his teachers apartment. It was a safe place for him, which was violated by his former teacher. I felt so bad for Holden, he doesn't know where he belongs.

I felt like the metaphor in his dream of being the catcher in the rye was him trying to save the other children, that are lost in this rough world. He is trying to don't let anyone slip through like he did, to create the safe place for them, which he never had.

message 42: by Elba (last edited Jan 19, 2018 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I am referring to his brother, Allie. I don’t want to spoil by revealing too much. What happens to his brother is the catapult that sets all his other experiences in motion. I like your thoughts on the catcher in the rye metaphor. It's like Holden can’t let go of his childhood. He's at that awkward stage where he is changing or going over the cliff himself and he doesn't like it. Do you think it is like his childhood was painful and he wants to spare the other children? I think the changes that are taking place with Holden ( changing into an adult) is very hard due to Holden’s unresolved feelings with regards to Allie. I wonder if he has Allie's mitt with all the poems. Holden also has that silly hunting hat that he likes to wear to hide from the world possibly? There are so many things about growing up that are difficult. I really like where Salinger goes with all this. Great discussion, Kelly. Thanks.

message 43: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Hayes | 68 comments Unfortunately I have too much on to read this book :( I did read it before and enjoyed it :) I think it's a book that young people especially identify with

message 44: by Lauren (last edited Jan 23, 2018 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lauren (elzykizer) Kelly wrote: "Windy, I would have to agree with you. This is my second time reading “Catcher in the Rye,” and I just can’t get over Holden’s increasingly annoying attitude towards anyone and everything. ""

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I have not read it before and I'm having to push myself to finish (only 50 pages in). Holden is driving me crazy! His incessant negative attitude and the repetition in the way he describes things are like nails on a chalkboard.

Debbie (debblett) Elba wrote: "It is simpler to hate everything and think everyone is a phony."

This is exactly it, I think. 'Who cares if they laughed at me/ignored me/stole my stuff - they're phonies anyway'

I hadn't read this as a teen, and as a 30 something female living in the UK I didn't expect to connect with it much. At the start I found Holden, and the writing, irritating. The repetition and all. And the way he kept saying 'and all' and all! But I really fell for him by the end. He just seemed so desperately sad. And I loved his relationship with his sister.

One of the major criticisms of the book that I've seen in reviews is that it has no plot, or that it doesn't really go anywhere. What do other people think?

Lauren (elzykizer) Debbie wrote: "This is exactly it, I think. 'Who cares if they laughed at me/ignored me/stole my stuff - they're phonies anyway'."

I persevered and finished.

I think maybe the "plot" is simply him explaining how he got where he is when he is finished telling his story. He mentions that there is a psychoanalyst where he is and that D.B. visits him, so I take that to mean he is in a mental health facility. He has a severely disconnected behavior and given him repeatedly saying how good he was in English classes for writing, this would have been a therapy assignment.

Justine (jaimelinus0316) | 3 comments Lauren wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Windy, I would have to agree with you. This is my second time reading “Catcher in the Rye,” and I just can’t get over Holden’s increasingly annoying attitude towards anyone and everyt..."

Ha ha - this is why I use Holden as a pseudonym when I write about my ex on my blog! Fits him to a 'T'. I still plan to reread it this month. I just haven't been able to get a copy of it. (Not available as an eBook, and my work hours interfere with library hours.)

Cindy Walsh (cindyrunner) | 38 comments My first time reading this book. The first half of the book I kept thinking when will I be done with this book and when will Holden quit complaining. But by the time I got to the end, I realized that a lot of kids are that way when they are teenagers. Some more then others. I also started feeling sad for him because he was alone quite a lot and he missed his little sister and his brother. I understood the negativity he was feeling. The book turned out not so bad for me in the end.

Sophia (wortschnatz) | 31 comments Okay, guys, I am happy we got this discussion going. We are now nearly at the end of the month and to bring my moderation of the thread to an end, I wanted to do something fun!

The rights for making a movie adaption of "Catcher in the Rye" were never sold. Salinger left it to his children to decide, if they wanted to sell the rights, somehow as an "life insurance".

If there would be a movie: Who would you think would be a good actor for Holden? Or any other character in the book. Think of anyone you want, you can also choose a director for the movie or a specific place, where it could be filmed. Get creative and think of anything that could fit into this story :)

message 50: by Lauren (last edited Jan 30, 2018 05:49AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lauren (elzykizer) Justine wrote: "Not available as an eBook..."

I had the same problem. I googled Catcher in the Rye PDF (or something like that) and found a free copy online (no subscription or anything). Only problem was it didn't hold the page I was on so I had to keep track of that. I don't have it saved anymore or I'd send it :(.