Book of The Month discussion

As Bright as Heaven
This topic is about As Bright as Heaven
2018 > As Bright As Heaven Preview

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 304 comments Pauline

Morning light shimmers on the apricot horizon as I stand at the place where my baby boy rests. Stouthearted chickadees are singing in the day, just like they have done every other winter's dawn, but when this same sun sets tonight, I will be miles away from them, and inside an unfamiliar house. There will be no reminders anywhere that Henry was ever mine. Not visible ones, anyway.

I kneel on the dead grass, brittle with icy moisture. The fabric of my skirt draws in the chilled damp, as if it is parched with thirst. The growing wetness at my knees is unhurried and easy, like a clean, slow blade. I look at the little marble slab that bears Henry's name and the carving of a sweet lamb curled up among lilies, and I'm reminded again that he was my angel child, even before he flew away to heaven.

From the moment I held my boy, glistening and new, I knew that he wasn't like the other babies I'd given birth to. He wasn't like my girls. They'd slipped out annoyed by the noise and chill and sharp edges of this world. Not Henry. He didn't cry. He didn't curl his tiny hands into fists. He didn't shout his displeasure at being pulled out of the only safe place he knew.

When the doctor placed him in my arms, Henry merely looked at me with eyes so blue they could've been sapphires. He held my gaze like he knew who I was. Knew everything about me. Like he still had the breath of eternity in his lungs.

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 304 comments This was one of the books I chose for this month. I can't wait to read it.

message 3: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol | 18 comments I picked this one too. I thought the writing was beautiful.

Emily | 2 comments I just finished it. Loved it. The only thing was that when it skipped ahead six years, I felt it slowed down until things started coming together again.

Evonne (evo_cho) | 11 comments i'm up to part 2 and could not put it down until that point. looking forward to finishing!