Book of The Month discussion

2018 > The Woman in the Window Preview

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 306 comments Her husband's almost home. He'll catch her this time.

There isn't a scrap of curtain, not a blade of blind, in number 212—the rust-red townhome that once housed the newlywed Motts, until recently, until they un-wed. I never met either Mott, but occasionally I check in online: his Linkedin profile, her Facebook page. Their wedding registry lives on at Macy's. I could still buy them flatware.

As I was saying: not even a window dressing. So number 212 gazes blankly across the street, ruddy and raw, and I gaze right back, watching the mistress of the manor lead her contractor into the guest bedroom. What is it about that house? It's where love goes to die.

She's lovely, a genuine redhead, with grass-green eyes and an archipelago of tiny moles trailing across her back. Much prettier than her husband, a Dr. John Miller, psychotherapist—yes, he offers couples counseling—and one of 436,000 John Millers online. This particular specimen works near Gramercy Park and does not accept insurance. According to the deed of sale, he paid $3.6 million for his house. Business must be good.

I know both more and less about his wife. Not much of a homemaker, clearly; the Millers moved in eight weeks ago, yet still those windows are bare, tsk-tsk. She practices yoga three times a week, tripping down the steps with her magic-carpet mat rolled beneath one arm, legs shrink-wrapped in Lululemon. And she must volunteer someplace—she leaves the house a little past eleven on Mondays and Fridays, around the time I get up, and returns between five and five thirty, just as I'm settling in for my nightly film. (This evening's selection: The Man Who Knew Too Much, for the umpteenth time. I am the woman who viewed too much.) I've noticed she likes a drink in the afternoon, as do I. Does she also like a drink in the morning? As do I?

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 306 comments Did anyone else choose this book?

message 3: by Meera (new)

Meera | 32 comments I chose this one.

Latanya (Crafty Scribbles) (craftyscribbles) | 5 comments I chose this one.

message 5: by Adrianne (new)

Adrianne (yarnbag) | 1 comments I chose this one.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Chattin | 1 comments Just started reading it!

message 7: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 306 comments I don't know why but my BOTM haven't been getting to me till really late in the month and I always pick my books on the first.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Eagen | 2 comments Finished this book last night! It's fantastic!

message 9: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 306 comments I finally got my January book last week so I'm going to be very behind but I"m excited to start this one.

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (oliviah_) I really enjoyed this one up until the very end. I was hoping the ending would shock me, but it was a let down. I had already figured out who the villain really was not even 100 pages into the book because of heavy clues. I was hoping I was wrong and that it wasn't going to be that obvious.

Anyhow, that aside I really loved the writing and the character of Anna. I also really loved the film references. Did you all notice how her film references and quotes at times narrated what was happening to Anna on page? There were also so many clues as to what was going on through those film titles and quotes. I thought that was a pretty brilliant literary technique. Examples: (contain spoilers!
(view spoiler)

Overall I thought it was a very intelligent thriller, better technique and more depth than many other thrillers I've read.

message 11: by Patrice (new)

Patrice (itspatrice) | 19 comments I read this back in January, before I was part of BOTM...excellent read...it lost my attention around the middle, felt a bit draggy and repetitive, like it wasn't going anywhere...but then WHAM, lots of twists and surprises...a keeper for me. :)

message 12: by Meera (new)

Meera | 32 comments I can’t believe I didn’t write down my reaction. I really enjoyed this one and actually read it as soon as I received it.