The Fairy Book Club discussion

JAN 2018 - Born A Crime > JAN 2018 - Born a Crime - Discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michaela (new)

Michaela (misilu) | 36 comments Mod
As always, feel free to discuss the book along the way or once you are done. Happy reading!

Robin Hornstein | 9 comments This Book gave me such an appreciation of who Trevor Noah is besides a funny, brilliant man.

message 3: by Ninitha (Niko) (new)

Ninitha (Niko) | 40 comments Mod
I'm mid way through the Book and I just keep hearing Trevor narrate the book to me in my head as I read. I follow him extensively, especially his stand up routines and so I feel like I've heard the stories before. Each anecdote is a reinvention of a joke or a discussion in his many interviews and so on. What has been surprising so far is the education on South African history that I'm getting. Have to admit, I was woefully ignorant of it, except for the few obvious bits that was taught at school. His account seem more first hand and subsequently more head turning, especially when it comes to the timelines. A lot of stuff I presume happened on the 1800s only to be told happened in the 1990s when I was growing up. Again, id like to hear what the South Africans have to say about it cause I've seen it before how sometimes comics/writers/movie makers embellish the intensity of the trouble in your home country when presenting the story to the West.

Anyhow, I am really enjoying the read so far.

message 4: by Kendra (new)

Kendra This book is a pleasure! I learned so much about Trevor as well as the country that I didn’t know. His writing takes the reader on a journey!

message 5: by Kara (new)

Kara I really like this work. It's easy to read and get into. I didn't know anything about apartheid or South Africa before reading this except that it was bad. Trevor explains what parts of his childhood were like in a sometimes comical way. Like he says though, he didn't know as a child that his life was different/difficult so he's not sad about it.

It seems like a lot of excellent comedians felt like outsiders growing up. It seems to give some an outsider's perspective on the world and make fun of it.

Those poor people at that Jewish school! I could only imagine the look on their faces and the lack of understanding for Trevor and his friends.

I wonder if Trevor is planning on writing any other works on his life. I hope he does!

message 6: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Farrell | 2 comments Trevor Noah has opened my eyes so much about what it means growing up in a country where just existing is against the law. I am biracial, a few years younger than him, with a foreign father who went back to his home country, and Trevor has truly opened my eyes to how I think and identify myself, especially when I grew up in mostly white towns. He has also given me such an appreciation for growing up where I have. I have a lot of admiration and appreciation for both this man and his mother as well. I'm only about 6 chapters in and I find it hard to put the book down.

message 7: by Ester (new)

Ester Litago Rabasco (estercristinanoelia) | 85 comments I recently started the book and there are moments that I get very serious reading so much injustice. But this man has the ability to explain anecdotes in such a funny way that last night he could not stop laughing, the moment of the newspaper, the poop and his great grandmother Koko :)

message 8: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Mary | 17 comments I am loving Trevor Noah's use of narration through this book. I feel like a friend is sharing their story with me. What an incredible read so far! I'm about half way through.

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Mary | 17 comments Also, I felt like I knew/understood the workings of the apartheid at that time, but I was mistaken. his mother and his strength, intelligence and love through a terrible time is truly inspiring.

message 10: by Nathalia (new)

Nathalia (natozorrilla) | 12 comments This book has make me realize how South Africa is similar in everyway to Mexico. Although apartheid didn't actually happened in my country, discrimination for our skin color and social status does exist.

Anyway, I want to be Trevor Noah's new best friend...or his dog. Either way would be just fine for me.

message 11: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (Fairyhughes) | 2 comments I loved this book so much. His childhood is so fascinating. I have learned so much. We send schools to South Africa and I am definitely adding this to their reading list..so much to learn and enjoy through Trevors words.

message 12: by Allisha (new)

Allisha (leeshee) | 40 comments Wow, what an amazing childhood. For him to go through all of that and then share it thru pages. I am amazed by his mom's strength. It is so inspiring. I hope to become a mom like his mom to my boy (or girl) one day.

message 13: by Jodie (new)

Jodie | 2 comments What I found very interesting about this book was how universal human nature is. Growing up in the US I never expected to identify with this book. But I suppose anywhere in the world kids are kids and people are creative with what little resources they have. It turns out that experiences in a depressed southern US town with high unemployment and high racial tensions parallels a South African township more than you would think. I love how Trevor is able to use his humor and voice to bring humanity to what could be an otherwise brutal tale.

message 14: by Annemette (new)

Annemette | 28 comments I just finished this book yesterday, started a little late, but I absolutely loved it. I must admit, I did not know who Trevor Noah was, but I really enjoyed his writing and I just adore his mother! She is an inspiration for everyone and the way he describes her, really shows how much he loves her! (I don't know how to describe my thoughts in clear English but I hope you understand when I say) he doesn't seem to write it to tell us all how sorry we should be for him for being (half) black, to me it is more a true story about how it is and then we can make our own judgement. He isn't sorry for who he is and what he has experienced, and I love that! I learned so much about SA, and I found his way of describing the post apartheid era very enlightening. So thank you for choosing a book I propably never would have found

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Mary | 17 comments Just read on Trevor Noah's Facebook that his book is becoming a movie. How wonderful!