Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books (or No One Has Read this but Me!) discussion

Monthly Selection Nominations > Nominations for March

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 279 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for our March selection. Usual rules apply. As usual the nomination may be either a Forgotten Classic or a Lesser Known book.

Rules
1. One book per person and the nominator must lead the discussion
2. Must have 5,000 ratings or less
3. Forgotten Classics must be 50 years or older (cut off 1967)
4. Lesser Known books must be 10 years or older (cut off 2007)

message 2: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) I would like to nominate Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon

2621 ratings

First published 1932.

This is a wonderful, beautiful book. Very readable. I think that everyone should read it.

message 3: by Hugh (new)

Thanks Cordelia. I heard somebody enthusing about that one recently but I can't remember where...

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I nominate Isabel Colegate's The Shooting Party. First published in 1980. 543 ratings.

Takes place in 1913 in England. I understand there's also a fine James Mason movie (made in '85) to watch after reading the novel.

message 5: by Carol (last edited Jan 12, 2018 05:03AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Cordelia wrote: "I would like to nominate Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon

2621 ratings

First published 1932.

This is a wonderful, beautiful book. Very readable. I think that eve..."

Btw, Cordelia, you nomination is also one I find intriguing and would be interested in reading and discussing this year.

message 6: by carissa (new)

carissa yup...The Shooting Party is in the air it seems. It's in my to-read 2018 file.

message 7: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) Why dont we do Sunset Song one month. And The Shooting Party the next month

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Cordelia wrote: "Why dont we do Sunset Song one month. And The Shooting Party the next month"

I'm in favor of that plan.

message 9: by carissa (new)

carissa Cordelia wrote: "Why dont we do Sunset Song one month. And The Shooting Party the next month"

yay!

message 10: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) If we have books for March and April, perhaps Carissa should pick something for May.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Cordelia wrote: "If we have books for March and April, perhaps Carissa should pick something for May."

Second.

message 12: by ConnieD (new)

ConnieD (bookwithcat) I can't say either of those books interest me. But then, since I'm not going to lead a discussion and nominate a book, I don't think my feelings should carry much weight. ☺

message 13: by Hugh (new)

I am happy enough to go with those too...

message 14: by carissa (new)

carissa I can do that Carol and Cordelia!
I'll make a post in early March for nominations and include my own. If other books are suggested, I'll create a poll mid-March.

message 15: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) carissa wrote: "I can do that Carol and Cordelia!
I'll make a post in early March for nominations and include my own. If other books are suggested, I'll create a poll mid-March."

Good scheme.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Cordelia - are you setting up a thread for Sunset Song?

My copy finally arrived yesterday. I'm looking forward to reading it together but may not be able to pick it up until next week.

message 17: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) Hi Carol. Yes, I have remembered. I will set up some threads in the next couple of days. And will write a bit of an intro etc.

Sorry. I wont be able to start reading until about the 7th or 8th. I am bogged down with short stories for Mookse Madness at present.

message 18: by Carol (last edited Feb 28, 2018 11:22AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Cordelia wrote: "Hi Carol. Yes, I have remembered. I will set up some threads in the next couple of days. And will write a bit of an intro etc.

Sorry. I wont be able to start reading until about the 7th or 8th. I ..."

That's perfect! I mistakenly thought I'd seen that you'd rated it and I was feeling very guilty that I can't get to it (march 1).

message 19: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) Carol wrote: "Cordelia wrote: "Hi Carol. Yes, I have remembered. I will set up some threads in the next couple of days. And will write a bit of an intro etc.

Sorry. I wont be able to start reading until about t..."

I have read it before. It was part of one of my Honours papers last year. I loved it so much I am really looking forward to reading it again. My copy of the book is full of notes and writing - from writing an essay.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Carol wrote: "Cordelia wrote: "Why dont we do Sunset Song one month. And The Shooting Party the next month"

I'm in favor of that plan."

The Shooting Party grabbed my attention when it was first mentioned. I am hoping to get myself out from under a pile of books in time to read it with you folks. Is it still planned for April?

message 21: by Hugh (new)

Sandy (CA) wrote: "Is it still planned for April? "

Yes, I think that was agreed and it is on the group bookshelf

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Hugh wrote: "Sandy (CA) wrote: "Is it still planned for April? "

Yes, I think that was agreed and it is on the group bookshelf"

Great! Thanks, Hugh. I didn’t think of checking the shelf. Sorry!

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Sandy (CA) wrote: "Hugh wrote: "Sandy (CA) wrote: "Is it still planned for April? "

Yes, I think that was agreed and it is on the group bookshelf"

Great! Thanks, Hugh. I didn’t think of checking the shelf. Sorry!"

I'm really looking forward to reading and discussing it soon, Sandy -- glad you are, too!

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Carol wrote: "SI'm really looking forward to reading and discussing it soon, Sandy -- glad you are, too!"

Thanks, Carol. The more, the merrier -- right? LOL

message 25: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) Hugh, Would you please set up a thread for our March Group Read - Sunset Song. It does not seem to work for me.

I will write a bit of an intro etc.

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Sandy (CA) wrote: "Carol wrote: "SI'm really looking forward to reading and discussing it soon, Sandy -- glad you are, too!"

Thanks, Carol. The more, the merrier -- right? LOL"

Absolutely!