SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

General Discussion > Happy National Science Fiction Week!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28411 comments Apparently yesterday was Nat’l Sci-Fi Day and I celebrated without realizing it. I watched old Star Wars movies, as any sci-if nerd will do occasionally. :)

“Author & library advocate Issac Asimov was born #OTD [on this day] in 1920. January 2 was dubbed #NationalScienceFictionDay in his honor.” (Source: @dcplibrary/Twitter)

On Goodreads’ blog, they shared the Top 50 Science Fiction Books on Goodreads.

I definitely watch more sci-fi movies and tv shows than read sci-fi books. Although I’m not sure why. You’d think I’d like both - books over movies because books are always better. Maybe that should be a new year booky resolution: check out more sci-fi books. Among my favorite sci-fi series: Ann Aguirre’s Sirantha Jax and Dredd Chronicles.

What are some of your favorite sci-fi books, series or movies?

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice | 3 comments I'm still a Trekkie, and I love the Star Wars movies, as well. Happy New Year.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily Causby | 6 comments I enjoy Star Trek. There was a series that I started a few years ago that I haven't finished that I would love to pick back up: Forced to Serve by Donna McDonald. She writes a variety of genres and I think this was one of the few sci-fi series that she has done. I have read the first few books and I really enjoyed the characters.

message 4: by Janice (new)

Janice | 3 comments I have to confess, though I read loads of Sci-Fi in the 1970s-1990s, now the only Sci-Fi, I read is Star Trek, and the Sime/ Gen Universe series.

message 5: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28411 comments Happy New Year to you too, Janice! I've always been a fan of both Star Trek (TV and movies) and Star Wars movies, but I've never any of the books.

I was trying to remember any other sci-fi books I'd read and found these:
- hubby & I have both enjoyed audiobooks by Peter Clines, Daniel Suarez, Alien Invasion series by Johnny B Truant & Sean Platt, Awaken Online by Travis Bagwell, Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett, Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan
- Katherine "Kitty" Katt by Gini Koch
- Nightside by Simon R. Green
- and, of course, Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony