Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Start of the year

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8277 comments Feels like a lot of people’s first book ratings of 2018 have not been very good so far. My first two books came in at two stars and 2.8 respectively. Here’s hoping that all of us have a phenomenal year in general, most importantly in life, but that the books are pretty great too. Looks like we’re going to get a snow day tomorrow, so I can review and pan my first two then - lol!

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria | 4 comments What a wonderful wish!

Now that you mention it, there really isn't much going on in the book world.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Amy wrote: "Feels like a lot of people’s first book ratings of 2018 have not been very good so far. My first two books came in at two stars and 2.8 respectively. Here’s hoping that all of us have a phenomenal ..."

Eek!!! So sorry you are off to a slow start. I'm in the middle of at least a three star book and probably four, so maybe your wish will come true for me.

message 4: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I finished a graphic novel series on the first that were 5 Star. Two of my last reads in 2017 made it to my top ten, so I think that I might have a bit of a book hangover, and so thing may pale in comparison.

message 5: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments I'm close to finishing what is for sure going to be a 5-star book, so my year is off to a great start!

message 6: by Jen (last edited Jan 03, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments My first book was a 4-star read and my second one may be 4 or 5 so I'm off to a good start. I'm sorry your year isn't off to a good start.

I actually will disagree that there isn't much going on in the book world - at least for the sorts of books I like. There are at least 7 books coming in in January that I really want to read. Maybe it depends on what sorts of books you like? Book Riot has a good list of January releases that includes all sorts of genres. Maybe you can find some books there that you might like.

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria | 4 comments Ellie wrote: "I'm close to finishing what is for sure going to be a 5-star book, so my year is off to a great start!"

What book is this?
I'd love to get a piece of that

message 8: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4903 comments I'm 1/3 into a book that will likely be 4 stars, The Darwin Elevator by Jason M. Hough.

message 9: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments Maria wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I'm close to finishing what is for sure going to be a 5-star book, so my year is off to a great start!"

What book is this?
I'd love to get a piece of that"

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini ;)

message 10: by Anita (last edited Jan 03, 2018 11:36AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Maria wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I'm close to finishing what is for sure going to be a 5-star book, so my year is off to a great start!"

What book is this?
I'd love to get a piece of that"

Lol, Maria - - you and me both!

But alas, it is one I've read (and loved) already.

message 11: by Flo (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments I had a pretty disappointing first book as well. It was like 2.75 stars rounded to 3 I guess, but still, could have been way better. I'm reading a book about the brain now, so hopefully that will end up being better!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8277 comments Flo, I’m reading brain books this month as well. All about neuroscience and neural plasticity. I like your new avatar.

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m in the middle of what I think will be a five star read too. Maybe my first book of the year will be my best, just like 2017!

message 14: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments I'm just impressed all of you have finished one or more books this year so far. I haven't had ANY time for reading so far this year yet!! I still haven't done my top 10 books for 2017 yet, or set my reading goals yet!? EEk!!

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8277 comments Your goal Joi, is to survive the engagement year and have a beautiful sacred wedding. Anti-keep us posted the whole along the way.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I assumed we couldn't start the January tag until January (not saying y'all didn't) so I've really just started some books. How about this cold weather to start the year? I'm in Jacksonville Fl and it feels like Green Bay WI.

message 17: by KateNZ (last edited Jan 03, 2018 03:38PM) (new)

KateNZ | 2211 comments I'm part way through a couple of books (typical me, to read more than one at a time, sigh...) but it's high summer here so the sunshine is slightly distracting, lol.

I put aside my January 1 attempt at a science book ("Almost Like a Whale") as a dead loss DNF. Interesting for geneticists, I think, and the author clearly knows his stuff but not accessible enough for ignorant me. It wasn't helped by some gratuitously negative and judgmental comments on the behaviour of the gay community during the AIDS crisis, which just made me cross.

My substitute science book is great though (Tim Flannery's "The Weather Makers") and the silly murder mystery that I picked up at the library yesterday is undemandingly amusing.

message 18: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8115 comments I have one print and one audio going right now. They will both be at least 4 stars!

message 19: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 461 comments Mine have been good so far. One 4 star and one 5 star. The one I'm reading now was rated 5 stars by a friend, so I'm hoping it lives up to its expectations.

message 20: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I also punted my first science book, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry because I have it on audio, but think it's a better book for me to read. The new science book is better on audio.

I'm also reading A Gentleman in Moscow, which I expect to be pretty highly rated.

message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5629 comments First book was a 4-star read
Second book got 3.5 stars.
Third book will get 2.5 (not finished yet) .....

Doesn't sound like a promising trend ...

On the other hand ...

The audiobook I'm listening to will get at least 4 stars, and maybe 5

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8277 comments Jolene, you are in good hands and have great prospects with Gentleman.

message 23: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Amy wrote: "Jolene, you are in good hands and have great prospects with Gentleman."

Yes - it's my tribute to Linda book so I would expect a good rating, since Linda and I seem to have similar historical fiction tastes.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8277 comments Great choice! I’m going for Elinor Olliphant in her honor, but I haven’t been lucky with the seven day speed reads at the library, and my queue line for it won’t make it. So if speed reads or the queue fails by the 15th, I’m going to Amazon Prime it.

message 25: by Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (last edited Jan 07, 2018 05:22PM) (new)

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments I’m in the middle of a 4 star read. Hiddensee by Gregory Maguire. I’m liking it so far because it’s been doing pretty good with the magical realism of retelling the Nutcracker story. Plus there’s been some pretty good quotes. I’ve ended up having to pause just to take a photo of the page for the quote so that I can write it down later.

message 26: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments First book of the year was Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks, 4 Star Read. Will post a review sometime today.

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Ladyslott, I'm looking forward to this one

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Uncommon Types was just recommended to me! Excited to see your review.

message 29: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8115 comments So.... I rarely give a book 5 stars, and not even 4.5 very often, either, but this year has either started off amazing for me, or I've - with the start of 2018 - suddenly become more lax with my ratings!

I've already had two 4.5 star books and one 5 stars (and I actually feel like two of those maybe should have rated 5... but maybe the other 4?)!

The audio I will likely finish today is probably going to be another 4.5 stars! Crazy! My top 10 will be full within a couple months of starting the year!

message 30: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments Although I haven't done reviews yet (I better get moving on that with four days left in the month!), two of the four books I've finished so far in January are in the 5-star category for me: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi (read for F2F book club) and The Girl Who Played With Fire (read for PBT Decathlon/Linda Tribute).

message 31: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments LibraryCin wrote: "So.... I rarely give a book 5 stars, and not even 4.5 very often, either, but this year has either started off amazing for me, or I've - with the start of 2018 - suddenly become more lax with my ra..."

The same thing is happening to me . . .lots of good books to kick off the year. I hope this continues!

message 32: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Kimber wrote: "Although I haven't done reviews yet (I better get moving on that with four days left in the month!), two of the four books I've finished so far in January are in the 5-star category for me: Homegoi..."

YAY! It's great several of us are off to a great start.

I have to give credit to many of our members who have recommended quite a few of the titles I'm now reading.

message 33: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8115 comments Anita wrote: "The same thing is happening to me . . .lots of good books to kick off the year. I hope this continues! ..."

And I know you're also a tough rater, too! It would be great if it continues!

message 34: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8115 comments Anita wrote: "I have to give credit to many of our members who have recommended quite a few of the titles I'm now reading. ..."

I'm sure that's the case for me, too! I am also wondering if the fact that I've read so much nonfiction this month has made a difference? My 5 star and one of my 4.5 star books was nonfiction. That 4.5 star could have been a 5 star, looking back as well. The other two 4.5 stars were both fiction. I've read a number of 4 stars, as well (4 nonfiction and 1 fiction).

message 35: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments Oop, looks like my 4th read of the year (The Girl on the Train) is going to be my first bad one! I'm just below halfway done so it might still change, but right now it's hovering at the 2 star level. I'm really not getting what all the fuss is about.

message 36: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Ellie wrote: "Oop, looks like my 4th read of the year (The Girl on the Train) is going to be my first bad one! I'm just below halfway done so it might still change, but right now it's hovering at..."

Sometimes I think these suspense books get better reviews than they deserve. People like that feeling of "can't wait to see what happens" while reading them, but the quality really isn't all that great beyond the ability to engender that feeling, lol. At least your first three books were great!

message 37: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Anita wrote: "I have to give credit to many of our members who have recommended quite a few of the titles I'm now reading. ..."

I'm sure that's the case for me, too! I am also wondering if the fac..."

I've never analyzed it, but I feel I generally rate non-fiction higher than fiction. I think I hold fiction to a higher standard . . .and I won't really read non-fiction unless I have an interest in the topic, so there's more built in engagement from the get go.

message 38: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Ellie wrote: "Oop, looks like my 4th read of the year (The Girl on the Train) is going to be my first bad one! I'm just below halfway done so it might still change, but right now it's hovering at..."

I think it also depends a bit on when you read it. I read this when it first came out and it was one of the first books in the dark thriller/unreliable narrator/"girl" books. So, it felt fresher to me than it potentially did to you.

Then, I have been more critical of books with a similar pattern that followed. Like they were jumping on the bandwagon!

message 39: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I enjoyed this book. I read it when it first came out and stayed up all night to read it. It was the first of the "Girl" books, and I thought it was well done. I read a lot of psychological thrillers, and this was among the better ones. I was entertained throughout, but I have read many that were just awful. I know a lot pf people didn't like it and that's fine, everyone has different reactions to books; thats' what makes discussing them so interesting.

message 40: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Nicole R wrote: "I think it also depends a bit on when you read it. I read this when it first came out and it was one of the first books in the dark thriller/unreliable narrator/"girl" books. So, it felt fresher to me than it potentially did to you.
."

YESSSS THIS. Completely agree. I gave 5 stars to The Girl on the Train when it first came out. Also gave Gone Girl 5 stars when it first came out. They both inspired a huge onslought of psychological thrillers. They also got me into the genre, and now I'm in a psychological thriller hole I will never be able to dig myself out of. (Linda, your reviews helped dig that hole ;) )

message 41: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments So the beginning of my year.

2 5 star reads
5 4 star
3 3 star
2 2 star