2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Edie Aims for 25

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) I have lofty goals! My personal goal last year was to read 21, but I fell short by 5 books. I'm hoping to improve my concentration and focus and to spend less time on "screens" like the TV and computer screens. In 2016 I participated in the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge, and I didn't make it through that one, either, but I read great books that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. I look forward to this challenge, and to reading everyone's updates. Good luck, everyone!

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Edith wrote: "I have lofty goals! My personal goal last year was to read 21, but I fell short by 5 books. I'm hoping to improve my concentration and focus and to spend less time on "screens" like the TV and computer..."

Ha, we're all hoping to spend less time on screens Edith. I've cut down tv a bit but now I'm addicted to this group and spend way too much time reading and replying to updates lol

Wishing you the best of luck with your goal & a very happy New (reading) Year!!

message 3: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Thank you, Susy! Good luck with all your goals in 2018!

message 4: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Edith wrote: "Thank you, Susy! Good luck with all your goals in 2018!"

Thx Edith!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (preslynn) | 14 comments I feel you. I gave up TV but I spend way too much time online and playing idiotic games on my tablet. I also do some more useful things on screens such as creative writing and lately goodreads but we could all cut back.

Good luck with your goal!

message 6: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Thanks, Michelle! I enjoy writing, too. I'm a big fan of LiveJournal and Dreamwidth, online journaling communities. I try to write an entry every day and keep up with my friends there. I spend less time on social media like Twitter and Facebook, but more time on Goodreads, and reading online news articles. Probably TV news is my biggest time suck. I'm a newshound!

What kind of creative writing do you do, if I may ask?

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (preslynn) | 14 comments Mostly fiction. Historical-ish, I guess. I'm doing a story about a family during the dust bowl. I also write in a physical journal most nights. I used to spend a ton of time on facebook (never got into twitter) but when it got so ugly during the election, I stayed off for a while and just never went back. Too much drama.

message 8: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Sounds like an interesting premise for a story. I keep a physical journal as well. I had to stop following one of my friends because her FB wall got very hostile during the election. I mostly use FB to keep up with my family and friends I'm not in touch with in everyday life. I don't belong to any communities or groups. I barely check Twitter at all, although there are some good people on there, like the authors N.K. Jemisin and Felicia Johnson (author of "Her").

Are you doing research about the Dust Bowl era? If so, how do you go about it? The local library?

message 9: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments good luck with your challenge!

message 10: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Thank you, Blagica!

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments Hoping you had fun getting lost in some pages in your first month!

message 12: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Blagica wrote: "Hoping you had fun getting lost in some pages in your first month!" Reality is not conducive to reading at this time. But thanks for the encouragement!

message 13: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments Anytime it is what I am here for!

message 14: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Blagica wrote: "Anytime it is what I am here for!" Thank you kindly! I appreciate it.

message 15: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Edith wrote: "Reality is not conducive to reading at this time. But thanks for the encouragement!"

I hope things will change for the better soon Edith! Good luck!

message 16: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Susy wrote: "Edith wrote: "Reality is not conducive to reading at this time. But thanks for the encouragement!"

I hope things will change for the better soon Edith! Good luck!"
Thank you, Susy, I appreciate it.

message 17: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments Hoping March is a great month for you.

message 18: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Blagica wrote: "Hoping March is a great month for you."

Thank you so much! I've started 3, count 'em, 3 new books on my Kindle!

message 19: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads. did you like your 3 books?

message 20: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Haven't finished any of them. I gave up on the Kindle reads and now I'm reading Michael Pollan's The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World. It's kind of an emotionally difficult read (though enjoyable) because my sister passed away recently (2 months ago) and so many things in the book are making me wish I could talk to her about it. She loved things like gardening, cooking, and nature. I'm determined to finish it, though. Thanks for cheering me on, Blagica!

message 21: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments I am so sorry about your sister. I will be back to cheer some more I promise.

message 22: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Blagica wrote: "I am so sorry about your sister. I will be back to cheer some more I promise."

Thank you so much! I appreciate it.

message 23: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May!

message 24: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Blagica wrote: "“Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May!"

I'm reading "Equal Rites" by Terry Pratchett now. I'm on track to finish it. I'm also reading "Weekends at Bellevue" by Julie Holland, who was the attending psychiatrist at Bellevue Hospital in NYC.

message 25: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments My Background is in Psychology that sounds interesting I will have to look into it. I hope you enjoy.

message 26: by Edith (new)

Edith (harrietbrown) Blagica wrote: "My Background is in Psychology that sounds interesting I will have to look into it. I hope you enjoy."

Thanks! So far it's a lot of doctors and medical staff having sex in small spaces while they're on break (or hiding out while they're supposed to be working). But she also writes about the patients she saw while she was working in the CPEP (Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program). Never a dull moment, that I can tell you!