Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > What are your favorite audiobooks?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by cedar. (new)

cedar. (goodreadscombasiltn) | 1 comments I’m hoping to get into audiobooks in 2018 but I need more suggestions! Let me know some of your favs!

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 49 comments the Martian! it's really funny 😀

☾ Liz ☆ Stellar Kitten Book Reviews ☆ I'm really enjoying Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor c:

message 4: by S61, Creator/Chief Moderator (new)

S61 (kingdombooks) | 248 comments Mod
Does anyone else find it hard to concentrate when listening to audio?? I really want to get into them but often get sidetracked while listening.

message 5: by Hita (new)

Hita | 10 comments Harry Potter series
The Illuminae Files and Gemina

message 6: by Azriel (new)

Azriel (azriellathesorceressbooks) | 22 comments @sean yeah the same thing happens to me. while I was listening to one before I was gonna go to sleep I started dozing off. I also find that I remember the book a lot better when I have a physical copy. I found out recently that audio books just aren't for me so ive stopped using them. I wish I could tho.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

the lunar chronicles series

message 8: by Nyla (new)

Nyla (nylap) | 71 comments Sean wrote: "Does anyone else find it hard to concentrate when listening to audio?? I really want to get into them but often get sidetracked while listening."

You're not alone, Sean. Different people have different learning styles, and auditory is just one of them. I know that I am NOT an auditory learner. I don't retain information that I hear nearly as well as I retain information that I read in a codex book. My brother and my husband are both auditory learners. Auditory learners tend to find reading difficult or boring, but can learn very quickly when listening to something. They devour audiobooks, podcasts, and lectures with ease.

There is nothing wrong with any of the different learning styles, but knowing and accepting your preferred learning style is very important. You can certainly work to improve your abilities in the other learning styles, but always play to your own strengths!

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter Listening to an Audio book versus reading it, is a whole different experience for me. I might love the performance of an audiobook, but not love the book. Other more complex books, don’t lend themselves to the audible medium for me. I loved Jake Gyllenhall Audible Great Gatsby. The Sellout by Paul Beatty was so much fun. For fantasy, try Neil Gaiman’s House at the End of the Lane, narrated by the author. He’s got a great voice. Viet Thanh Nguyen’s Sympathizer was great. You can gift one book to someone who isn’t an audible member. If one of the above is to your liking, message me your email and I’ll send it to you. Also Sing, Unburied, Sing is good.

message 10: by Peter (new)

Peter I find that if I have time to read, I read a book. But when I’m driving or walking around I alway have an audiobook going. For that I choose a less challenging text. No way would I listen to Mrs Dalloway. It’s too crazy with her jumbled thinking. A mystery, spy novel or something like that is easier. And I definitely got better at it. Now I listen to almost every book at 1.5x speed, otherwise they go too slow.

message 11: by ~Bellegirl91~ (new)

~Bellegirl91~ (bellegirl91) Throne of Glass, Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor, and Neil Gaiman reading his books himself so like Coraline and The Graveyard Book. 😊 there's a few others I've enjoyed but can't think of any right now 🤔

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (romeowyn) | 44 comments I'm a teacher so I've got to be really focused when I'm not teaching since I'm usually preparing lessons or grading papers. The only time I'm able to listen to audiobooks is when I'm going to the gym, which is actually a very good incentive to go and work out to finish/keep going in the book :D
I also listen to it while doing housework. I find it's also a great way to get some nonfiction done (since, to me, nonfiction = work, I mostly read fiction in my free time).

message 13: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 317 comments Illuminae series
The Amulet of Samarkand series -- so funny
Sabriel -- Tim Curry does the first three
Red Rising
Brandon Sanderson's novels
The False Prince
The Screaming Staircase and The Whispering Skull (the narrator for the rest of the series sucks)
Ready Player One -- Wil Wheaton
The Lies of Locke Lamora
James Marsters does the Harry Dresden books. After the first three books, he gets really good.

I really want to listen to Stephen Fry narrate Harry Potter; I wasn't crazy about Jim Dale.

message 14: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 317 comments Sean wrote: "Does anyone else find it hard to concentrate when listening to audio?? I really want to get into them but often get sidetracked while listening."

Sometimes. Usually I zone out only when it's getting kind of boring, so I rarely miss anything important. Audiobooks are also great for books that are hard to get into or that put me to sleep. I'm a very visual learner, but audiobooks have been great for driving, cooking, housework, and insomnia.

message 15: by Spacechik (new)

Spacechik | 8 comments Anything by Richard Kadrey. MacLeod Andrews narrates and is wonderful. Also any of the James Marsters for Jim Butcher novels.

message 16: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Kilmer Sean wrote: "Does anyone else find it hard to concentrate when listening to audio?? I really want to get into them but often get sidetracked while listening."

I listen to audio books when driving long distances or doing cardio at the gym. I also listen to them at an increased speed. For exampIe, the book I am currently listening to is at a 2x speed. I lose interest if the narration is slow.

message 17: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 317 comments Getting to change speed is a nice option. Tim Gerard Reynolds is great, but he's slow, so I have to ramp him up.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine | 31 comments The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer is really good

message 19: by BookLionQueen (new)

BookLionQueen | 4 comments Scythe by Neal Schusterman
You by Caroline Kepnes ( VERY VERY adult proceed with caution.)
Daughter of Smoke and Bone ( or anything narrated by Khristine Vham) by Laini Taylor

message 20: by BookLionQueen (new)

BookLionQueen | 4 comments Liz (Stellar Kitten Book Reviews) wrote: "I'm really enjoying Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor c:"

Khristine Vham is one of my favorite audiobook narrators!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

message 23: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Palladino | 1 comments Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe By Benjamin Alire Sáenz read by Lin-Manuel Miranda
I'm Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day read by Felicia Day
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline read by Wil Wheaton

I have listened to Lin-Manuel Miranda several times in the last two years, it is now my favorite contemporary ever.

message 24: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Brownlee (brownleeg) | 13 comments The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and all the books in that series, as well as Robert Galbraith's series, starting with The Cuckoo's Calling.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda 021101 (amanda_panda) I really enjoyed reading the Lunar Chronicals as audiobooks, i don't know but I liked them as audiobooks, but not as much when i actualy read the book, you know?

message 26: by MissBecka (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 113 comments Blood of Wonderland was great!

storytime-reviews | 43 comments I don't do audiobooks, I just don't like the medium, except for Geoffrey McSkimming's Cairo Jim series. This is a children's series, but absolutely brilliant, and even better in audiobook form than the physical book itself, as the author does the voices for all of the different characters and brings it to life.

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Sean wrote: "Does anyone else find it hard to concentrate when listening to audio?? I really want to get into them but often get sidetracked while listening."

Always...except for 2 series I listened to in the car as a kid I have never gotten into audio books...my mind constantly drifts, and I just prefer reading anyway.

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinfwong) | 89 comments The Chicken Dance by Jacques Couvillon

message 30: by Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨ (last edited Jan 23, 2018 08:32PM) (new)

Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨ (sunnysbooks) | 45 comments Monsters of Verity by Victoria Schwab
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

message 31: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 13 comments I have no idea how good an audiobook can get as I have only listened to one before but right now, I'm listening to Far from the Tree and its really good!

message 32: by Kacy❁ (new)

Kacy❁ | 3 comments I loved the Martian by Andy Weir and A Darker Shade of Magic - V.E. Schwab

message 33: by Jordanne (new)

Jordanne (jordannedunn) Will Wheaton narrating Ready Player One and Steven Fry narrating his new book Mythos.

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily Bishop (askemilybishop) The Harry Potter ones are obviously my favourite but I love Autobiographies that are narrated by the author.

message 35: by Menia (new)

Menia | 3 comments Trevor Noah reading his own book ''Born a Crime''.

message 36: by Jen (last edited Jan 24, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Jen (skipp) | 7 comments My absolute favourites are the Harry Potter series narrated by Stephen Fry,
I'll also second Jordanne's suggestion of Ready Player One - Wil Wheaton was a great choice of narrator for that book,
As mentioned above Neil Gaiman narrates his own books, and is great at it,
Terry Pratchett books work well on audio when narrated by Stephen Briggs, some of the other narrator choices are old recordings and have poor sound quality in comparison,
I love the St Mary's series by Jodi Taylor, they're are narrated by Zara Ramm,
The AllSouls trilogy by Deborah Harkness is narrated by Jennifer Ikeda - I liked these on audio because they're fairly long books
And if you like mysteries I'd recommend the first audiobook I tried The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz, it's narrated by Derek Jacobi who also narrates other Sherlock Holmes stories, he has a great voice

message 37: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Brownlee (brownleeg) | 13 comments Menia wrote: "Trevor Noah reading his own book ''Born a Crime''."

I loved listening to that one! The different languages were so interesting!

message 38: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 20 comments Illuminae is such a visual book for me so I can't imagine how an audiobook can do it justice, but it seems like a lot of people have said it's a good one.

message 39: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 317 comments Lady Poppy wrote: "Illuminae is such a visual book for me so I can't imagine how an audiobook can do it justice, but it seems like a lot of people have said it's a good one."

It is! It's got cool sound effects and voices -- the visual and audio are equally impressive.

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather (hersecretsmile) | 56 comments Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy (Kristine Vham is terrific)
The Lunar Chronicles
Jackaby series
Penryn and the End of Days trilogy
pretty much any autobiography read by the author (I've listened to Amy Poehler, Lily Collins, Felicia Day and Mindy Kaling's second book personally)
Wonder
Pride and Prejudice read by Rosamund Pike

message 41: by BookLionQueen (new)

BookLionQueen | 4 comments Heather wrote: "Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy (Kristine Vham is terrific)
The Lunar Chronicles
Jackaby series
Penryn and the End of Days trilogy
pretty much any autobiography read by the author (I've listened..."

Kristine Vham is my favorite female audiobook narrator I think.
Greg Tremblay is a very good male narrator. He narrated Scythe and Thunderhead.

message 42: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption - read by the author which I always found adds so much to the experience.

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo - also read by the author and I found funny/entertaining.

Still Alice - again, read by the author and excellent!

message 43: by Almeyda (new)

Almeyda (alnate) The Martian because it's so funny and fun! And Call Me by Your Name because Armie's voice is so beautiful 😂

message 44: by Alissa (new)

Alissa I’m currently listening to flowers for algernon. It’s very good. My one recommendation is to listen to a sample before purchasing a book. A bad narrator could make a good book bad

message 45: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments I don't listen to audiobooks. I tried to a couple of times but the person speaking just put me off them. I did enjoy listening to "Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics".

message 46: by C.H. (new)

C.H. Baum | 4 comments My favorite audiobooks are the ones narrated in my head while I turn the pages of a paperback.

Gaby Cresswell ♡ (lailamajnun) | 9 comments The Diviners series ❤

message 48: by Rumell (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments Well it is hard to pick a favourite when you like all of them.

message 49: by C.A. (new)

C.A. | 58 comments I listen to the Harry Potter audiobooks before bed throughout the school year. I've tried other audiobooks because I enjoyed the HP ones so much, but Jim Dale spoiled me! He does all of the voices perfectly while still having that warm, cozy, grandfather reading a bedtime story type vibe. Most of the other audiobooks I've listened to have had electronic sounding, siri-type voices that sound cheesy when attempting to sound like the characters.

message 50: by Rumell (last edited Aug 18, 2018 06:56PM) (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments I kind of like everything I read.

« previous 1