What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Nineteenth Annual Collection
This topic is about The Year's Best Science Fiction
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci fi short story a woman becomes a tree. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Cross (pattyfan) | 2 comments In this story, a woman goes to a planet and studies the trees, who are intelligent. She starts a process of symbiosis and starts becoming dependent on the tree. Another character, I think her sister, goes to check on her and realizes that the relationship between the tree and the woman isn't so benign. I'm pretty sure it was anthologized in the Year's Best Science Fiction anthology edited by Gardner Dozois, maybe in the last 10 years. I think the story was written by a woman, but I'm not sure. Thank you for any help!!!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Sounds like the story searched for here: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest... except that it's a man: "Into Greenwood" by Jim Grimsley?

It has been included in The Year's Best Science Fiction: Nineteenth Annual Collection (and few other anthologies: isfdb.org).

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Cross (pattyfan) | 2 comments Thank you very much, Ayshe :) My memory was incorrect about it being a woman. This is indeed the story. You saved me A LOT of time. Again, thanks a lot.