Tournament of Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 TOB - The Tournament > Quarterfinal Rounds 1-4

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Amy (last edited Mar 12, 2018 09:08PM) (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1690 comments placeholder for quarterfinal rounds discussions

QF#1 Round - Fever Dream vs. The Idiot - whodda thought!?
QF#2 Round - Dear Cyborgs vs. ??

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurcoh) | 33 comments Amy wrote: "placeholder for quarterfinal rounds discussions"

Comment sections have been crazy!! I hope you will all take mercy on my judgement!! :)

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Baker | 34 comments Lauren, I’ve wondered if judges have second thoughts between the time they write the judgement and when it’s published and wished they had picked the other book? It must be hard to wait knowing how things have played out?

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 642 comments Lauren wrote: "Amy wrote: "placeholder for quarterfinal rounds discussions"

Comment sections have been crazy!! I hope you will all take mercy on my judgement!! :)"

You're one of us....we will treat you with kid gloves ;-)

message 5: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Lauren wrote: "
Comment sections have been crazy!! I hope you will all take mercy on my judgement!! :)"

Janet wrote: "You're one of us....we will treat you with kid gloves ;-) :)"

Exactly what Janet said Lauren!

message 6: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 116 comments Ace wrote: "Exactly what Janet said Lauren! ..."

Me too Lauren--not to worry at all. The only people I've seen the GR TOB folks get angry at were all professional musicians.

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison Hardtmann (ridgewaygirl) | 458 comments Janet wrote: "Lauren wrote: Comment sections have been crazy!! I hope you will all take mercy on my judgement!! :)"

You're one of us....we will tre..."

Of course we will be spirited but respectful. I think we were with Ruth Curry, with the one obvious exception, and she more than held her own.

As long as you haven't made a careless comment about abortion, that is. Remember last year? Good times.

message 8: by carissa (new)

carissa This is a fun ToB. I woke up this morning excited that I couldn't predict what would happen next!
So glad I zombie votes for White Tears...

message 9: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 116 comments carissa wrote: "This is a fun ToB. I woke up this morning excited that I couldn't predict what would happen next!
So glad I zombie votes for White Tears..."

Me too carissa, including the zombie vote for White Tears.

message 10: by Bretnie (last edited Mar 13, 2018 08:24PM) (new)

Bretnie | 475 comments I finally got White Tears from the library. So I'm hoping it'll zombie just so I can "participate" in a little more of its discussion before the end of the tournament!

Also, I'm not sure if I'm excited or depressed that all I care about on this side of the bracket is Fever Dream.

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin Glover (erinxglover) | 101 comments I have figured out how to win the ToB in early predictions. Choose the opposite of what I like and that will be the winner. Seriously, I haven't predicted a single one. In the end, it has to be White Tears and Sing, Unburied, Sing or something is seriously wrong in the world. I guess that means Zombies rule.

message 12: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Alison wrote: "As long as you haven't made a careless comment about abortion, that is. Remember last year? Good times. ..."

Indeed. That book was a great pick for TOB!

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1690 comments Don’t forget the judge’s link to an alt-right associated “think tank.” Ugh

message 14: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 181 comments Oh my gosh--The Mothers! And that judge! And his...rationale. And the commentariat! I mean, WOW. The ToB is nothing if not incredible!

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 13, 2018 09:32PM) (new)

Erin wrote: "I have figured out how to win the ToB in early predictions. Choose the opposite of what I like and that will be the winner. Seriously, I haven't predicted a single one. In the end, it has to be Whi..."

There's nothing to figure out, Erin. It's just been a crazy start. I don't recall a full week of upsets in any previous ToB. I'm 0/5, and that's never happened before.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 14, 2018 04:32PM) (new)

Lauren wrote: "Amy wrote: "placeholder for quarterfinal rounds discussions"

It's just two or three people going on tangents. Mostly, we are a benevolent, albeit passionate community. (You didn't comment on abortion, right?) Oh, I just looked at the brackets to see which books you could have judged. Uh oh.

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurcoh) | 33 comments Brenda wrote: "Lauren, I’ve wondered if judges have second thoughts between the time they write the judgement and when it’s published and wished they had picked the other book? It must be hard to wait knowing how..."

Oh how I want to reply to this... once tomorrow's judgement is out I can :)

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurcoh) | 33 comments Janet wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Amy wrote: "placeholder for quarterfinal rounds discussions"

Janet, that is music to my ears!! I just want a disclaimer that reminds people I'm not a professional like the others!!

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurcoh) | 33 comments Lark Benobi wrote: "Ace wrote: "Exactly what Janet said Lauren! ..."

Me too Lauren--not to worry at all. The only people I've seen the GR TOB folks get angry at were all professional musicians."

Ha!! I'm safe then!

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurcoh) | 33 comments Alison wrote: "Janet wrote: "Lauren wrote: Comment sections have been crazy!! I hope you will all take mercy on my judgement!! :)"

Of course we will be spirited but respectfu..."

YES!!! I would never of course, but even so I tried to keep it as non-political as possible.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurcoh) | 33 comments Tina wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Amy wrote: "placeholder for quarterfinal rounds discussions"

It's mostly just two or three p..."

Let's just say I took it very seriously. I had some friends who are even more PC-passionate than I am take a look, just in case some insensitivity leaked out...

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurcoh) | 33 comments Ace wrote: "Lauren wrote: "

Janet wrote: "You're one of us....we will treat you with kid gloves ;-) :)"

Exactly what Ja..."

Thank you Ace!!! Also sorry for all the comments; I didn't realize my GR notifications were such that I didn't get notified of replies. Clearly new to this!

message 23: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Baker | 34 comments Uh oh

message 24: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Lauren wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Lauren, I’ve wondered if judges have second thoughts between the time they write the judgement and when it’s published and wished they had picked the other book? It must be hard to ……

Oh how I want to reply to this... once tomorrow's judgement is out I can :).."

Ok, spill :)

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurcoh) | 33 comments Ace wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Lauren, I’ve wondered if judges have second thoughts between the time they write the judgement and when it’s published and wished they had picked the other book? It mu..."

Okay! So, I'm completely confident in my decision. I had already read both of my titles prior to ToB so I re-read both of them. TBH at this point never want to touch either one again since I spent so much time thinking about both, ha. Totally tired of them.

To address your question, both of my books mean so much to so many. So the stress has come from watching the fans express their thoughts on them in the earlier round, because I know there are a lot of feelings coming for my judgement either way!

The championship match-up was much harder to choose as the finalists were very even to me. But less pressure since it's by a vote!

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1690 comments Fun! Looking forward to seeing your write-up!

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 828 comments Lauren wrote: "To address your question, both of my books mean so much to so many. So the stress has come from watching the fans express their thoughts on them in the earlier round..."

Looking at what you're judging...Uh-oh.

One of the books was my favorite in the tournament, and of the year.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1690 comments Round 1 Fever Dream v The Idiot is up! https://themorningnews.org/tob/2018/f...

message 29: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (jesinishibun) | 21 comments Aww. Sad to see The Idiot go, but I know it was probably the most-hated book still in play. At least I no longer have to listen to people dump on poor Selin. ;-)

I liked Fever Dream a lot, so no real beef here.

message 30: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 475 comments Lauren, I love the insider scoop. Thanks for sharing a bit of your experience!

message 31: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Thanks for sharing Lauren. What a nightmare reading Pachinko twice. Looking forward to seeing SUS progress ;)

message 32: by Jason (new)

Jason Perdue | 624 comments So far, Fever Dream has taken down:

Temporary People
The Night Ocean
Lincoln in the Bardo
The Idiot

I'm sure he knew about it already, but I wouldn't say I was completely innocent of pointing out to Gabe Habash that he'd made the tournament.

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1690 comments Jason wrote: "I'm sure he knew about it already, but I wouldn't say I was completely innocent of pointing out..."

good on you! Go Stephen! I'm not even sure now if I'm cheering for it because it's my favorite or because I love it's underdog-ness SO much! (March Madness indeed!)

message 34: by Jason (last edited Mar 20, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

Jason Perdue | 624 comments This is me:

"John: The judgments on Fever Dream in the Tournament thus far makes it sound like a great book and yet I have yet to read an account of it that makes me want to pick it up and start reading it."

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 828 comments Me too...When I decide whether to read a book, I look ask whether it'll show me something new about life, about myself, and if not whether it might inform or inspire my own writing. From what I've read, it doesn't look like it'll do any of those things, that all it will do is make me panic and want to follow my daughter to school every day. It sounds brilliant in its own way, but not for me.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 580 comments Amy wrote: "Jason wrote: "I'm sure he knew about it already, but I wouldn't say I was completely innocent of pointing out..."

good on you! Go Stephen! I'm not even sure now if I'm cheering for it because it's..."

I cheer because it just might be my favorite, but also because I haven't gotten over the decision - not that it lost, but that the judge gave such a flat description of it as a campus novel about a boy obsessed with wrestling. Absolutely no mention of any of its many strangenesses and undercurrents, which made it so fascinating and complex.

message 37: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 116 comments Fever Dream is one of those books where the less you know the better, hence it does the opposite of improve with added time and perspective. I don't remember what brought it to our attention but we read it together in the newest litfic group the month it was first published in English. It was great to go in cold, when it was a strange little book no one had read yet. Since then I've been continuously surprised at its staying power.

message 38: by Bretnie (last edited Mar 20, 2018 12:55PM) (new)

Bretnie | 475 comments Elizabeth wrote: "From what I've read, it doesn't look like it'll do any of those things, that all it will do is make me panic and want to follow my daughter to school every day. It sounds brilliant in its own way, but not for me."

I wrote out a very sarcastic, dark response that was funny in my head until I typed the words.

So instead I'll say I loved the book, and that love increases with every discussion about it, but I feel like a monster recommending it to friends, especially friends with kids.

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurcoh) | 33 comments Ace wrote: "Thanks for sharing Lauren. What a nightmare reading Pachinko twice. Looking forward to seeing SUS progress ;)"

LOL. I do think these two books are a bit of either/or!!! Going to piss off half the crowd, lol

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1690 comments Round 2 Dear Cyborgs vs The End of Eddy https://themorningnews.org/tob/2018/d...

message 41: by Jason (new)

Jason Perdue | 624 comments Memoir ToB event in May!! Yes, please.

message 42: by Peebee (new)

Peebee | 68 comments Really excited about the Memoir Event...I'm making big plugs for Hunger and Educated, which both were intensely difficult to read but rocked my world.

message 43: by Peebee (new)

Peebee | 68 comments Can't make myself read Dear Cyborgs yet, but it's alive for one more round. And am trying to get Stephen Florida in case it makes it all the way through as a Zombie, but am hoping one of the right side books knocks it out.

message 44: by Janet (last edited Mar 21, 2018 10:28AM) (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 642 comments Peebee wrote: "Really excited about the Memoir Event...I'm making big plugs for Hunger and Educated, which both were intensely difficult to read but rocked my world."

I can recommend the Cantu book....here is my review....https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

And I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death is sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read.

I enjoyed reading Educated but I felt there were some problems with it.....I don't want to say any spoilers but my review is here.....https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 45: by jo (new)

jo | 429 comments memoir event? wut. link?

message 46: by Drew (new)

Drew (drewlynn) | 422 comments jo wrote: "memoir event? wut. link?"

At the end of today's commentary, there's a poll so we can pick three titles for a memoir event in May.

message 47: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 361 comments Janet wrote: "Peebee wrote: "Really excited about the Memoir Event...I'm making big plugs for Hunger and Educated, which both were intensely difficult to read but rocked my world."

I can recommend the Cantu boo..."

Thanks for the recommendations Janet! That is very helpful. I read so little non-fiction so I really have no idea what to choose. I am looking forward to this TOB sideline for sure, however, to make me read more NF!

message 48: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 361 comments Sunita wrote: "Interesting judgment. I gave The End of Eddy 3.5 stars and DNF'd Dear Cyborgs. It wasn't even a close call for me. I thought TEoE was far from perfect, but I saw a lot more in it th..."

Agree. I thought the judge did a good job of judging two books he didn't gel with. But a hard yes to that there is more to TEoE than Judge Alam read into it. Bryn commented on it on the TOB site and I concur: I know people like Eddy's family and neighbors. I did not see them as "superficial suppositions".

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 626 comments The memoir thing is cool. I just read one that comes out in April that I wish could be included, but I know it isn't an comprehensive list of all memoirs. It is Buttermilk Graffiti: A Chef’s Journey to Discover America’s New Melting-Pot Cuisine by Edward Lee, and I was so impressed by how beautiful the writing was that I contacted the publicist to make sure it wasn't a ghost-writer. Really stellar stuff. And all about immigrant communities and their food in America.

message 50: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Lauren wrote: "Ace wrote: "Thanks for sharing Lauren. What a nightmare reading Pachinko twice. Looking forward to seeing SUS progress ;)"

LOL. I do think these two books are a bit of either/or!!! Going to piss o..."

Could have been worse, you could have got todays matchup. That was a tough one, I quite "liked" Eddy but don't think I would have enjoyed Cyborgs so much and looking at peoples comments it probably would have felt like a chore/assignment and I would have resented the book.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.