Tournament of Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 TOB - The Tournament > Opening Rounds 1-4 + Play-in

Comments Showing 1-50 of 258 (258 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Amy (last edited Jan 26, 2018 09:43AM) (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments Brackets are up! - https://themorningnews.org/tob
Play-in Round (campus novels): The Idiot, Stephen Florida & Savage Theories
Round 1: Lincoln in the Bardo v Fever Dream
Round 2: White Tears v play-in winner
Round 3: Manhattan Beach v Dear Cyborgs
Round 4: The End of Eddy v Lucky Boy

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments isn't the play-in winner usually Round 8 entry?? I like that my reading priority is simplified by this schedule but it means we're going to be talking about the same book 2 business days apart.

message 3: by Dianah (new)

Dianah (fig2) | 255 comments Amy wrote: "isn't the play-in winner usually Round 8 entry?? I like that my reading priority is simplified by this schedule but it means we're going to be talking about the same book 2 business days apart."

Yes, usually round 8! I'd love to hear the reasons behind moving it up to round 2...

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments I am totally rooting for dark horse Fever Dream to take down Lincoln out of the gate! should be an interesting conversation when it comes to comparing the two (they both have ghosts!)

message 5: by Drew (new)

Drew (drewlynn) | 416 comments I haven't read any of the play-in books but at least I have The Idiot out from the library. Just have to finish Idaho. I'm afraid if I don't finish now, I won't get back to it.

message 6: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 76 comments Amy wrote: "I am totally rooting for dark horse Fever Dream to take down Lincoln out of the gate! should be an interesting conversation when it comes to comparing the two (they both have ghosts!)"

I am torn about this match up as I loved both books. But since Fever Dream already ran through the summer competition I have to root for Lincoln. Kinda interested in the reactions of multiple judges to Lincoln since it seems so polarizing.

message 7: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 360 comments Fever Dream as a No. 4? I mean, c'mon! Also, shouldn't the play-in be no. 4? Fever Dream already WON a tournament...the play-ins couldn't even earn a singular spot!

Also, Manhattan Beach v. Cyborgs--It's a challenge bc I want both to lose so much...

I'm hoping for Stephen Florida, Fever Dream, End of Eddy, and a double ejection.

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric | 90 comments Bob wrote: "I'm hoping for... a double ejection."

I hear pine tree pollen is good.

message 9: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 101 comments I looked at the brackets and when I saw all the books laid out on one page I thought "Wow, White Tears is the best book by far this year, no contest." tbh the only other book I really liked that made the short list though is Fever Dream.

message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 634 comments I'm rooting for White Tears but Lincoln in the Bardo and Sing Unburied Sing are formidable.

message 11: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 101 comments Janet wrote: "I'm rooting for White Tears but Lincoln in the Bardo and Sing Unburied Sing are formidable."

Yes, and what's up with Exit West? I have to read the thread here more carefully--it did not do anything for me.

message 12: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 101 comments ok now I remember why people liked Exit West--I'd actually gotten it mixed up for a moment with The Association of Small Bombs.

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele | 75 comments Yes, I agree with Lark that the winner should be White Tears or Fever Dream. And my favorite would be Fever Dream, oh so, so creepy!

message 14: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Jan 28, 2018 06:49PM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 602 comments Despite my connection to The Idiot, I think Stephen Florida is a superior novel, such a strong voice where The Idiot fades halfway with the ridiculous trip overseas.

I'd keep Lincoln in the Bardo, White Tears (but would be sorry to knock out Stephen Florida so soon,) Dear Cyborgs (although I haven't read it but couldn't make it through MB), and The End of Eddy.

Perhaps Stephen Florida would at this point be my zombie pick....

message 15: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Amy wrote: "I am totally rooting for dark horse Fever Dream to take down Lincoln out of the gate! should be an interesting conversation when it comes to comparing the two (they both have ghosts!)"

Same here Amy.

message 16: by Adam (last edited Jan 29, 2018 09:27AM) (new)

Adam (adamstephenhall) I made the mistake of beginning Fever Dream while in bed. I will not be continuing that mistake when I return to it tonight.

message 17: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Adam wrote: "I made the mistake of beginning Fever Dream while in bed. I will not be continuing that mistake when I return to it tonight."

I also made that mistake. Good luck tonight LOL.

message 18: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 299 comments For the play-in round, I am definitely rooting for Stephen Florida, I DNF Savage Theories and yesterday I started The Idiot and have decided it is not my cup of tea.

message 19: by Mainon (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 91 comments Amy wrote: "I am totally rooting for dark horse Fever Dream to take down Lincoln out of the gate! should be an interesting conversation when it comes to comparing the two (they both have ghosts!)"

Amy, you and I usually have similar taste I think, but I *LOVED* Lincoln in the Bardo -- once I got into it, I found myself marveling at what he was able to do with that tiny fragment of history.

Fever Dream I enjoyed, but I did not find it masterful or awe-inspiring in the way that I did LitB!

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments Yeah - I’m waiting on the library list to give it another try...it was a long list but I should get the text in about 2 weeks. (And the audio anytime now).

message 21: by Mainon (new)

Mainon (bravenewbooks) | 91 comments Amy wrote: "Yeah - I’m waiting on the library list to give it another try...it was a long list but I should get the text in about 2 weeks. (And the audio anytime now)."

I don't know how long it would have taken me to make sense of it via audiobook. It actually took quite a bit of patience in the beginning -- I thought I was reading some kind of prologue or something and then suddenly was 10% in. All the different characters (there are dozens, easily) talking in brief stanzas and interrupting each other would be challenging to do as an audiobook, imho.

Like I said, the book took some patience in the beginning but once I got into it, it was immensely rewarding.

message 22: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 634 comments Seems like a lot of the shortlist have ghosts, Lincoln, Fever Dream, White Tears, Sing Unburied Sing. Did I miss any?

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisgitt) | 88 comments Amy wrote: "I am totally rooting for dark horse Fever Dream to take down Lincoln out of the gate! should be an interesting conversation when it comes to comparing the two (they both have ghosts!)"

Yes! I loved Fever Dream and read it twice. (Once when I picked it up randomly at the library and again for the summer tournament.) I have a long drive on Monday and will force myself to finish the audio book of Lincoln, which has been a struggle for me.

message 24: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Fields | 77 comments Based on the divided opinion here on Lincoln, I’d probably give it 50/50 odds to win round one.

message 25: by Janet (last edited Feb 11, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 634 comments Ryan wrote: "Based on the divided opinion here on Lincoln, I’d probably give it 50/50 odds to win round one."

I wish they took into account our opinions but Meaghan O'Connell's the judge for that match. I don't know enough about her background to have any idea what her opinion will be.

message 26: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherribark) | 357 comments Ryan wrote: "Based on the divided opinion here on Lincoln, I’d probably give it 50/50 odds to win round one."

Oh, really? I"ve been assuming Lincoln would be the easy winner of this round, and probably the tournament. I guess I need to read Fever Dream after all.

message 27: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 299 comments Sherri wrote: "Ryan wrote: "Based on the divided opinion here on Lincoln, I’d probably give it 50/50 odds to win round one."

Oh, really? I"ve been assuming Lincoln would be the easy winner of this round, and pro..."

As they say in the NCAA tournament any team can beat any team on a given day!

Which is the fun of the ToB (and the NCAA tournament).

I do not necessarily think that Lincoln In the Bardo is the easy winner for the tournament.

BTW - Manhattan Beach won the Andrew Carnegie Medal of Excellence in Fiction over Lincoln In the Bardo and Sing, Unburied, Sing.

message 28: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Fields | 77 comments I personally favor Lincoln by a long shot, but there seemed to be a lot of readers turned off by one or more aspects. However some readers’ love for Fever Dream helped me to appreciate it more.

message 29: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 634 comments It would be pretty boring if one book won all the awards.

message 30: by Ellen (new)

Ellen H | 741 comments I also favor Lincoln, by far and away, but not necessarily because it's the book I enjoyed most on the list. I just think it's on a different plane than the other books, the way I felt Underground Railroad was last year -- the most original and conceptually ground-breaking book of the bunch, and of the year. For straightforward reading pleasure, my favorites would probably be Pachinko and Goodbye, Vitamin -- but they were, at heart, simple very well-written ordinary books. Lincoln in the Bardo is a different animal.

message 31: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 236 comments Giddy! I should sleep away the final hours until things get underway, but bouncing impatiently around the internet has claimed me for now.

message 32: by Alison (new)

Alison Hardtmann (ridgewaygirl) | 451 comments I have a tab open to The Morning News and I have already refreshed it several times despite knowing the play-in round won't be posted for a few hours.

message 33: by Lljones (new)

Lljones | 172 comments Is this the correct spot, here at Goodreads, to hang out for today's play-in round?

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 236 comments Lljones wrote: "Is this the correct spot, here at Goodreads, to hang out for today's play-in round?"

At least here we can mutter about how often we've refreshed TMN to no effect.

message 35: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 360 comments anyone got an ETA?

message 36: by Lljones (new)

Lljones | 172 comments Melanie wrote: "At least here we can mutter about how often we've refreshed TMN to no effect."

My vocalization is more than a mutter at this point.

message 37: by Melanie (last edited Mar 07, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 236 comments Bob wrote: "anyone got an ETA?"

They just liked my impatient tweet, which in my impatient opinion means it should be up now!

Lljones wrote: "My vocalization is more than a mutter at this point."

There are no human witnesses around me to testify to my volume. But: same.

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments Im used to 9:30-ish EST. So iMO they are late!

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments Bob wrote: "IT'S UP: https://themorningnews.org/tob/2018/t..."

you beat me to it!

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments I'm SO SO SO bummed Florida is out already! I zombie voted for it (always give my zombies to the underdogs!) but i cannot imagine it has the recognition to hit the top of that stack! would have LOVED ongoing discussions about WTF is going on.

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim Harvey Butler | 18 comments Amy, I agree! I am SO SAD Stephen is out. Like you, I was so looking forward to reading the commentary. This is starting off on a sad note for me today. I so loved Stephen Florida.

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 122 comments I was indifferent which of the two (Idiot / Stephen) won since I read neither, but I was hardcore anti-Savage Theories. Off to a good start, even if my bracket broke already.

message 44: by jo (new)

jo | 429 comments SSSSTTTTTEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPHHHHHHHEEEEEEENNNNNNNNN

message 45: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 236 comments totally broken bracket, which I knew would happen soon, though I wasn't expecting Day 1. `\_( '-' )_/`

Bye, Stephen, you were the worthiest of contenders, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You're the winner in our hearts. Please don't take your rage out on the world; you'll only hurt yourself.

message 46: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamstephenhall) Melanie wrote: "totally broken bracket, which I knew would happen soon, though I wasn't expecting Day 1. `\_( '-' )_/`

Bye, Stephen, you were the worthiest of contenders, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. ..."

Fantastically put. Well done.

message 47: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 236 comments Adam wrote: "Fantastically put. Well done. "

Well, not to brag, but I'm a totally excellent writer. Melanie Greene
/bragging

message 48: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 299 comments I too am disappointed Stephen Florida did not win the play-in, especially since I DNF either The Idiot or Savage Theories.

As they say in sports "Any team can beat any other team on any given day."

Also interesting to read the Judges opinions.

message 49: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 299 comments jo wrote: "SSSSTTTTTEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPHHHHHHHEEEEEEENNNNNNNNN"

I hear you!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Day one: 0/1. Dumb play-in round. : (

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.