Tournament of Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 TOB Shortlist Books > The Shortlist

Comments Showing 1-50 of 363 (363 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 2: by Jason (last edited Jan 03, 2018 08:01AM) (new)

Jason Perdue | 624 comments Gotcha.. all you unread comment watchers. :P

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 155 comments Lol ;D

message 5: by Drew (new)

Drew (drewlynn) | 422 comments Yes!

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Perdue | 624 comments Shocker: Lucky Boy

Double shocker: No Augustown :(

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 642 comments I'm in good shape.

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 642 comments The play-in is Campus Novels....I think someone suggested that in the longlist thread.

message 9: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) | 156 comments I am disappointed that Her Body and Other Parties didn't make it. I didn't totally love it but there was so much there to discuss.

message 10: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherribark) | 358 comments Janet wrote: "The play-in is Campus Novels....I think someone suggested that in the longlist thread."

Yes! That was me, although someone else made a similar prediction too. I love it.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 126 comments Gayla wrote: "I am disappointed that Her Body and Other Parties didn't make it. I didn't totally love it but there was so much there to discuss."

I am too. That was my favorite of the short story collections on the longlist.

message 12: by Holly (last edited Jan 03, 2018 09:33AM) (new)

Holly (moonshiner) Cool to see Merritt Tierce on the list of judges. I read Love Me Back last year and came out of it with some curious thoughts.

Happy to see The Idiot.

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan (janrowell) | 1087 comments Jason wrote: "Shocker: Lucky Boy

Double shocker: No Augustown :("

Yeah, that's sad.

message 14: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherribark) | 358 comments I'm so happy IDAHO made it. I like this list, even though I've only read 5, and two of those are the play-in round. I was hoping to read Book of Joan and Dear Cyborg anyway.

message 15: by Dax (new)

Dax Very happy to see So Much Blue on the list. Easily my favorite of the short listers. Only bummer is that In the Distance didn't make it.

message 16: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 642 comments Where is the list of judges?

message 17: by Kristin-Leigh (last edited Jan 03, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

Kristin-Leigh (okrysmastree) | 58 comments I'm glad The Animators made the cut! It's not my favorite to win but I really enjoyed it and will look forward to seeing discussion. I'm disappointed to see The Leavers fell to the cutting room floor but not shocked. I voted Sing, Unburied, Sing as my fan favorite but I'll be surprised if it needs the Zombie revival.

Luckily I already had 4 of the shortlist checked out from the library - time to dig into The End of Eddy, Lucky Boy, Savage Theories, and Dear Cyborgs. I'm going to crack open The End of Eddie (paper) and Dear Cyborgs (audio) first.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 54 comments Just below the Zombie poll.

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth | 199 comments For the first time one of my last minute reads makes the list. I finished Idaho last night. Six books down, 12 to go.

message 20: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 377 comments Hmm..."Manhattan Beach" is a funny way of spelling "Augustown"

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan (janrowell) | 1087 comments Dax wrote: "Very happy to see So Much Blue on the list. Easily my favorite of the short listers. Only bummer is that In the Distance didn't make it."

I'm with you on both counts, Dax.

message 22: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 642 comments Bob wrote: "Hmm..."Manhattan Beach" is a funny way of spelling "Augustown""

LOL....so much sadness but so many books to look forward to.

message 23: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 642 comments Karen wrote: "Just below the Zombie poll."

Thanks Karen!

message 24: by Susanw (new)

Susanw | 21 comments I’ve read nine! Might be record for me, starting with that many. Although there a couple on this list I really didn’t like. Looking at you, Dear Cyborg and Book of Joan. How could they make the list and the exquisite Autumn not be there??? Made a good call starting and almost finishing Goodbye, Vitamin yesterday!

message 25: by Alison (new)

Alison Hardtmann (ridgewaygirl) | 459 comments Janet wrote: "The play-in is Campus Novels....I think someone suggested that in the longlist thread."

I DID! I GUESSED CAMPUS NOVELS FOR THE PLAY-IN ROUND. And not many of the others, but I'll always have the play-in round. I knew that I'd read Stephen Florida for a reason.

I've read nine of the books, which is a personal best and makes reading the rest a much less daunting proposition. And I'm halfway through So Much Blue.

message 26: by Ehrrin (new)

Ehrrin | 114 comments I've read nine so far! Hooray!
I'm so glad that White Tears and Stephen Florida made it. I think they will be a great discussions.
Surprised about Lucky Boy. I read it, and meh.

message 27: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 362 comments Bob wrote: "Hmm..."Manhattan Beach" is a funny way of spelling "Augustown""

OMG just cracked up in my cubicle at work prompting my coworkers to suspect I am indeed NOT WORKING.

message 28: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 377 comments Kristin-Leigh wrote: "Luckily I already had 4 of the shortlist checked out from the library - time to dig into The End of Eddy, Lucky Boy, Savage Theories, and Dear Cyborgs. I'm going to crack open The End of Eddie (paper) and Dear Cyborgs (audio) first."

End of Eddy was a favorite of mine!

message 29: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 377 comments Cripes, can't put books on hold...too many fines! What a day!

message 30: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 642 comments I think they made a better choice for the reader judge this year....she sounds exactly like me....except for the cancer research part.

message 31: by Holly (last edited Jan 03, 2018 10:05AM) (new)

Holly (moonshiner) I love the sensation I feel when I see a book listed as "available" on Overdrive. Just snatched up Stephen Florida and The End of Eddy.

message 32: by Drew (new)

Drew (drewlynn) | 422 comments I've read six and I'll pick up Lucky Boy on the way home today.

message 33: by Drew (new)

Drew (drewlynn) | 422 comments Here's the list in descending page number:
Pachinko 496
Lucky Boy 472
Manhattan Beach 438
The Idiot 423
The Animators 369
Lincoln in the Bardo 343
Idaho 320
Savage Theories 304
White Tears 304
The Book of Joan 288
Stephen Florida 287
Sing, Unburied, Sing 285
So Much Blue 236
Exit West 240
Goodbye, Vitamin 208
The End of Eddy 192
Fever Dream 192
Dear Cyborgs 163

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 54 comments I've read nine too - seems to be the magic number so far...

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth | 199 comments I’ve read six. Several like Pachinko and White Tears were ones I’ve been wanting to read. Library holds for the play in titles submitted. Trip to bookstore after lunch. Life is good. By the way, any thoughts if a particular novel may be harder to find at library?

message 36: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 79 comments Love the list. A few minor quibbles but all things considered this will be fun!

message 37: by Kristin-Leigh (new)

Kristin-Leigh (okrysmastree) | 58 comments Drew wrote: "Here's the list in descending page number:"

Drew, you are a gift. A treasure. A real gem.

message 38: by Holly (new)

Holly (moonshiner) I've only read three! But I loathed one of them so this will be fun.

message 39: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) I have read 8ish (have to pick up The Idiot again as I got bored and marked it as DNF at 40%)

I am really happy about The Animators and White Tears they are both great reads.

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 54 comments All of the titles were included in my library's catalog. There could be a wait list for a number of these though - especially the #1 and #2 seeds (Pachinko, Manhattan Beach, Sing Unburied Sing, Lincoln in the Bardo, Exit West.)

message 41: by Ellen (new)

Ellen H | 764 comments I've read 4. When do the brackets go up, does anyone know?

message 42: by Ezzy (new)

Ezzy | 30 comments Holly wrote: "I've only read three! But I loathed one of them so this will be fun."

Spill it! Which one did you hate?

I've read 8 of the list. I thought Pachinko was a total waste of time and I was 100% meh about Idaho.

message 43: by Kristin-Leigh (new)

Kristin-Leigh (okrysmastree) | 58 comments Holly wrote: "I've only read three! But I loathed one of them so this will be fun."

Well don't hold us in suspense, which one did you loathe?

I've read 3 myself already (Sing Unburied Sing, Manhattan Beach, The Animators). I feel pretty "meh" about Manhattan Beach, that one is my least favorite of the set so far.

message 44: by Gaby (new)

Gaby | 32 comments I agree. I think this list is much more interesting than in the past couple of years. Who won the contest?

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1690 comments Gaby wrote: "I agree. I think this list is much more interesting than in the past couple of years. Who won the contest?"

my error checking wasn't good enough in the spreadsheet (thought it could handle differences in spelling, punctuation) so I'm fixing & should have results soon!

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 54 comments Of this year's authors, we have eleven women and seven men. Am I right in thinking this is a first for the TOB?

message 47: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 362 comments I am stunned to realize I have read 10. This means 2018 might be the first year that I actually am able to read the entire shortlist before the TOB. Crossing my fingers!

message 48: by Lljones (new)

Lljones | 172 comments When do we see the brackets?

message 49: by Holly (new)

Holly (moonshiner) Ezzy wrote: "Holly wrote: "I've only read three! But I loathed one of them so this will be fun."

Spill it! Which one did you hate?

I've read 8 of the list. I thought Pachinko was a total waste of time and I ..."

Manhattan Beach, of course! Of course, since no one could possibly have enjoyed it. Kidding. Sort of.

message 50: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 79 comments I've read 10 so far and have Pachinko and The Animators on my tbr pile. The biggest surprise to me is Savage Theories as I haven't read or heard much about that one yet. But I'm excited to read the rest; they all look interesting.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.