Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > January 2018: Troublemaker

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by John (new)

John | 73 comments Wow this book was very enlightening. I never realized she grew up in Scientology but it makes sense.

message 3: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 7 comments I listened to this one a while back and found it really educational and informative. I didn’t know much at all about the structure of the organization and how isolated people can be. Very illuminating, and I’m glad Remini’s continuing to raise awareness around Scientology.

message 4: by John (new)

John | 73 comments Right. Whether or not one chooses this belief system, you have to ask, why would someone be worried about shinning the light into what it is. I was not aware of the ins and outs of the aspects of this church. I also appreciated hearing more about Remini's life. I really liked hearing about the struggles and challenges she dealt with both personally and publicly from her perspective.

message 5: by Lana (new)

Lana Jackson | 47 comments I didn't really know of Leah Remini before I picked up this book, I had seen a couple of episodes of king of queens but that was it. Not only did i find this book exciting, fun and informative to read, Leah's honesty and rawness is what makes this book so touching and unique. I found it sad that Leah thought so low of herself, because you really do fall in love with her in this book.

message 6: by Calvin Tower (new)

Calvin Tower (calvintower) | 3 comments I did not know much about Scientology before this and found it very enlightening. I was unaware there was such a financial commitment and burden it that certain knowledge was to be avoided. Although I have only seen King of Queens a few times, I was stuck by the similarities between her and her character. She seems like one of the genuinely nice people in Hollywood.

message 7: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tanya23510) | 24 comments As a big King of Queens fan I was eager to read this and really hoped it would be a good read - I was not disappointed! I had no idea Leah was a Scientologist until the book came out and I found it very interesting. I found the book very honest and informative about Scientology, and while reading I felt both confused as to why somebody would want to be a part of it but at the same time I felt that I did. I noticed how most people who joined it, were at a low point in their life and felt they needed structure and guidance, and I can't blame them. I gave the book to my mum who is also absolutely loving it!