Coffee & Books discussion

Old Challenges > January 2018: (Auto)Bios, Memoirs and More

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
As the usual traditions continue, this month is all about the biographies/autobiographies, memoirs, letters, diaries, etc. As this genre tends to be easily miss looked, lets try to show 'em a little love!

Sign up and let me know what your book of choice is. If a few of you end up reading the same one, please do not hesitate to start a mini little discussion here!

Happy new year xx

message 3: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

message 5: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
Alissa wrote: "I'm currently listening to Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between by Lauren Graham

I also plan on reading [book:S..."

OOOOO Stiff looks so gooooood! Just added to my list

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen GoatKeeper (goodreadscomkaren_goatkeeper) | 100 comments I am reading "James Edward Oglethorpe" to begin with this month. Oglethorpe helped found the state of Georgia in the U.S. which is about all I knew of him. He is a fascinating man and did lots more than found the state. He was in the British Parliament and responsible for the Debtor's Act of 1730 reforming the debtor's prison system in Britain.
This is a small book packed with interesting information.

message 7: by Dawn (last edited Jan 27, 2018 08:04AM) (new)

Dawn (mcdawn73) | 74 comments I just started Sisters First: Stories from Our Wild and Wonderful Life yesterday on audio. I love to read books, but having the opportunity to maximize my reading by listening to audios is a plus. This book I do believe is better as an audio because it's read by the twins. Hearing the emotions in their voices about their lives and just them telling the stories instead of it coming from someone else, each chapter switching back and forth between them, is great to me.

Update: I really enjoyed Sister's First that I read earlier this month. I'm going to try to squeeze one more in before the end of the month. The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine who Outwitted America's Enemies

message 8: by Margot (new)

Margot (margotmontreal) | 164 comments I just finished A Body of Work Dancing to the Edge and Back by David Hallberg and I LOVED it. I found it easy to read in the beginning when he talked about his childhood, very interesting when he came to his career with American Ballet Theatre and then with the Bolshoï Ballet in Moscow. But the last part was strong with pain and soul-searching, very honest and had me tearing up.
I love ballet and know a bit about it, so the names of steps did not bother me, but a search on youtube or Google should complete the information if you want to know more about something he explains. Ballet is a visual artform. Better to see than read about a step! ;-)

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 135 comments I just finished reading The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit which I got through Book of the Month Club last year. It's a quick and easy read and mostly enjoyable, but it seemed to be lacking depth. The book is about Christopher Thomas Knight, a man who lived alone in the woods for 27 years. The book may feel like it's lacking depth because Knight didn't share any deep insights into why he retreated into the woods and his family wouldn't speak to the author about their perspective. It certainly is an interesting read, though.

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 3 comments I just came across this interesting read. Fra Angelico by Laurence Kanter.