2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Nick B's 30 in '18

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Jun 05, 2018 02:55PM) (new)

Nick Barata | 28 comments Nick B's 30 in '18

Hello everyone, and welcome to my 2018 Reading Challenge blog post. I started my blog post last year as an exercise in accountability, and ended up reaching my reading goal of 15 by August (oops).
I've decided to be a bit more ambitious this year, and I hope to have a bit more variety in my reading list as well. Here's hoping to a good 2018. Thanks for reading.

Book List
1)Oathbringer
2)Crazy: A Father's Search Through America's Mental Health Madness
3)The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America
4)Chronicles of the Black Company
5)A Short History of Nearly Everything
6)Red Seas Under Red Skies
7)Siddhartha
8)The Fellowship of the Ring
9)Senlin Ascends
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick Barata | 28 comments 1) Oathbringer
Dates Read: 12/25 - 01/02

In anticipation of this book, I re-read the first two books in The Stormlight Archive, Brandon Sanderson's mammoth epic fantasy series. While I still enjoyed them immensely, it took me over two months to get through both of them. That wasn't the case with this book.

The plot, pacing, character development, and worldbuilding were all amazing, which isn't a surprise to anyone familiar with Sanderson's work. This book was every bit the same as the previous two- except it was more. The revelations and implications found throughout the book really blew my mind, and I was physically unable to put the book down until I had reached the extremely satisfying conclusion.

The only disappointing part is the long wait for the next installment.

4.5/5

message 3: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Congrats on finishing your first book. Good luck with your challenge!

Jasmine (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ | 78 comments Good luck with your challenge!

message 5: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Nick wrote: "Nick B's 30 in '18

Hello everyone, and welcome to my 2018 Reading Challenge blog post. I started my blog post last year as an exercise in accountability, and ended up reaching my reading goal of 15 by August (oops).
I've decided to be a bit more ambitious this year, and I hope to have a bit more variety in my reading list as well. Here's hoping to a good 2018. Thanks for reading...."

Wishing you the best of luck with your new goal Nick & a very happy New (reading) Year!!

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick Barata | 28 comments 2) Crazy: A Father's Search Through America's Mental Health Madness
Dates Read: 01/06 - 01/30

I'll admit, I was required to read this book for a class I'm taking, so I wasn't initially planning to add it to Goodreads (because, to be honest, I wasn't going to read it in its entirety).

I finished the whole thing, which is something I've never really done before for school-assigned reading. Mixing the personal accounts of the author's son's struggle with mental illness and top-notch investigative reporting into the condition of the mental ward in Miami-Dade County's jail, this book was incredibly compelling and illuminating.

3.75/5

message 7: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Nick school reads help us reach our goals you are doing great. Keep up the page turning.

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick Barata | 28 comments 3) The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America
Dates Read: 12/09 - 02/06

This book took me forever. Despite the engaging premise and the relevance to my future career path, the way in which Rothstein goes about presenting his argument came across as repetitive and almost pointless.

The book often left me feeling frustrated about all the things the federal government did wrong when it comes to urban planning post -WW2, but any solutions or prescient observations are relegated to the last two chapters of the book.

2.25/5

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick Barata | 28 comments 4)Chronicles of the Black Company
Dates Read: 02/07 - 03/01

I first read this omnibus edition of Glen Cook's classic fantasy series when I was in high school, but I didn't fully appreciate how good it was until now, after finishing it again. It reads like a Vietnam war novel set in a fantasy world, and that combination made for some great reading.

The prose and the main character were particular strong points, and I like how Cook let the worldbuilding trickle in gradually instead of using info dumps. The only issue I have is the pacing of the third book in the omnibus, which suffers with some rushed events towards the climax.

3.75/5

message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments I hope March is a success for you.

message 11: by Nick (new)

Nick Barata | 28 comments 5)A Short History of Nearly Everything
Dates Read: 03/02 - 03/28

There's a lot of positive things I could say about this book, but the fact of the matter is that it took me almost a month to finish it. It's well-written, funny, and fascinating, but the structure of the book doesn't change throughout Bryson's retelling of scientific history, so that made it hard to finish.
I can't tell if that's the book 's fault or my own, since I typically only read fiction. Either way, another thing I didn't like is that it tends to show its age when it comes to the gaps in its knowledge, but I can't really fault Bryson for publishing it in 2003. Overall, it's a heartfelt and funny retelling of modern scientific history and what it means to be human, but I don't think it was the book for me.

2.75/5

message 12: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments I hope that April brings you many more five star reads.

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick Barata | 28 comments 6) Red Seas Under Red Skies
Dates Read: 04/03 - 04/28

The second book in the Gentleman Bastards series, I went into this novel with high expectations after how good The Lies of Locke Lamora was. Unfortunately, the only major flaw with this book (aside from some pacing issues) was the fact that it wasn't Lies, which was going to be hard to live up to anyway.

The plot and characters were still fun, but ultimately this book lacked the 'it' factor its predecessor had.

3/5

message 14: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May! You are doing great keep it up!

message 15: by Nick (last edited May 08, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

Nick Barata | 28 comments 7) Siddhartha
Dates Read: 04/28 - 05/07

For the longest time, I had heard that this book was a classic, a must-read in terms of its take on spirituality and the virtue of self. I fully expected the journey of the young Brahmin on the road to self-discovery to capture me and teach me something about the meaning of life, but that expectation never really materialized.

The writing was good, but I never connected with Siddhartha as a character, or his struggles, and in the end it just ended up feeling like an Indian Catcher in the Rye (which, coming from me, is not a good thing).

2/5

message 16: by Nick (new)

Nick Barata | 28 comments 8) The Fellowship of the Ring
Dates Read: 05/07 - 05/28

Going into this book, I made the mistake of underestimating just how amazing Tolkien's prose and world is. My last memory of LOTR before trying Fellowship again was a painful and half-hearted attempt to read it back in middle school, which is why my expectations were so low going in.

There's not much I can say about this book that hasn't been said already, so I'll leave it at this: Tolkien is the father of modern fantasy for a reason.

5/5

message 17: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments “I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library.” I hope you find a corner in Paradise with some great books!! 8 books is fantastic keep it up.

message 18: by Nick (new)

Nick Barata | 28 comments 9) Senlin Ascends
Dates Read: 05/28 - 06/03

I've been looking forward to reading this book for the longest time, but since it was independently published, I could never find it anywhere in stores. Thankfully, Orbit picked it up for mass distribution, so when I saw it in Barnes & Noble recently I picked it up without hesitation.

I'm glad I did. This was the first book I've read in a long time that I literally could not put down. The prose was enchanting, the characters were believable, fallible, and likeable, and the world, setting, plot, and pacing were all top notch. I don't know how this is the first novel Josiah Bancroft has had reach the mainstream, but I know I'm excited for more.

5/5

message 19: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Doing awesome Nick hoping July is a good month for you.