Scoring:

5 points - If the author is on your original list of 10 recommendations
4 points - If you clicked "more" once
3 points - If you clicked "more" twice
2 points - If you clicked "more" three times or more

4 points - If you have not read anything written by this author before
2 points - If you have read anything written by this author before

Random January Points
2 points - The main character visits the beach - It's bloody hot in Aus and we all move to the beach.
2 points - The main character in your book is a child (under 15) - Children's Day
2 points - There is a feast/large dinner party where there is a large amount of food - St. Knut's Day, where Julgransplundring, literally "Christmas tree plundering" occurs where everyone eats the biscuits and lollies decorating the tree.
2 points - A character in your book is a fisherman - Funaoroshi, the beginning of the working year for local fishermen in parts of Japan.
2 points - Your book is science fiction - National Science Fiction Day

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book must be over 170 pages.
4. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Zany Zodiac Challenge.
5. The book must be read between January 1- 31, 2018 (based on your local time zone).
6. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose.
7. If reading an audiobook or ebook where page numbers aren't listed, page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up first on a Goodreads search.

message 2: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments In order to get your badge, you will need to post the following in a new post below:

Reporting:

- Your favourite author
- The author you chose off the recommended list
- The book you chose to read by that author
- Did you like it?
- Your score

message 3: by Almeta (last edited Jan 03, 2018 02:55AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments A Stir of Echoes 3 Jan

Stephen King - Your favourite author
Richard Matheson - The author you chose off the recommended list
A Stir of Echoes - The book you chose to read by that author
Gave it 5 Stars - Did you like it?

6 points - Your score

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48826 comments Almeta, you are on a tear this year.

message 5: by Lara (last edited Jan 05, 2018 08:17AM) (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I read An Unexpected Song by Iris Johansen, who was listed on the Jayne Ann Krentz page. It was somewhat typical of romances in the 1980s (it came out in 1990) as the hero was domineering and the heroine so very sweet. I did enjoy it as the heroine takes her life in hand and stops letting the hero dictate so much.

Scoring:

Total points: 9

message 6: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9786 comments I read New Boy by Tracy Chevalier. My favorite author (today anyway!!) is Philippa Gregory and Tracy Chevalier is listed third on the recommendations.

This was a difficult book to rate but I settled on 4 stars. Really dark tragedy based on Othello,set in a 1970 Washington school yard. This story will stick in my mind for a long time.

SCORING

Random January Points
2 points - The main character in your book is a child (under 15) - Children's Day

TOTAL: 11

message 7: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Lara wrote: "I read An Unexpected Song by Iris Johansen, who was listed on the Jayne Ann Krentz page

Scoring:
5 points - If the author is on your original list of 10 r..."

You missed a question, Lara. Did you like it?

message 8: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments 5 days in, and 3 people done!

message 9: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9786 comments It was such an interesting challenge Rus :-)

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Rusalka wrote: "You missed a question, Lara. Did you like it? "

Oops! Yes, I did. And I updated my post.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Your favourite author
Charles Dickens

The author you chose off the recommended list
Émile Zola

The book you chose to read by that author
The Ladies Paradise
Dāmu paradīze (Les Rougon-Macquart, #11) by Émile Zola

Did you like it?
Yes, very much. Fantastic book.

- Your score 6 points

2 points - If you clicked "more" three times or more

message 12: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments I read Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill. I put in Patricia Briggs as my favorite author, and Neill came up on the original list of ten. (5 points) I had not previously read anything of hers. (4 points) I liked the book very much, and I have already read two more books in the same series.

My score -9 points

message 13: by Mikaleigh (last edited Jan 07, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

Mikaleigh Barras | 95 comments Favourite Author that I chose: Sherrilyn Kenyon

The Author I chose off the recommended list: Gena Showalter

The book I chose to read: Jewel of Atlantis Jewel of Atlantis (Atlantis, #2) by Gena Showalter

Did I like it: Yes I thought it was a good book and I have already read the first one in this series and this is the second.

Scoring:

Total: 7 points

message 14: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Loving that everyone has had a win so far!

message 15: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments Georgette Heyer - Your favourite author
Juliet Marillier - The author you chose off the recommended list
Heart's Blood - The book you chose to read by that author
- Did you like it? not really; it was about 100 pages too long, and way too much sexual content for a YA book. I gave it 2 stars.
- Your score 9 points
no extra random points

message 16: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it, Lanelle. Do think it was written as a YA book? Or people have just shelved it as such afterwards?

message 17: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Beach counts. They visit the beach. I didn't specify how long for.

message 18: by Lanelle (last edited Jan 10, 2018 07:41AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments Rusalka wrote: "Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it, Lanelle. Do think it was written as a YA book? Or people have just shelved it as such afterwards?"

It certainly felt like a YA story. The main character is barely 18 at the beginning of the book.

By the way, Juliet Marillier was born in New Zealand and is currently living in Australia if anyone is looking for authors for the year-long challenge.

message 19: by Beth (last edited Jan 10, 2018 06:09PM) (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1879 comments I originally entered David Mitchell, and I picked Alice Munro from the options, since I had never read her. I read Too Much Happiness. I liked it, but not as much as I like David Mitchell or Margaret Atwood, who was another option for me on the list of selections. I may have been a little biased because I was listening to it during a very stressful week and I wanted it to be more distracting than it was.

Scoring:

I need a ruling on the things below, since it is a collection of short stories....

2 points - The main character visits the beach - It's bloody hot in Aus and we all move to the beach.

Both of the above are true in at least one of the stories.

message 20: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3631 comments For Favorite Author I used Daniel Silva.
I got several authors that I was interested in exploring, but I chose Steve Berry. I haven't ready anything by him.
I chose The Templar Legacy ( #1 in the Cotton Malone series).
I quite enjoyed it--historical, suspenseful, interesting characters. A bit too religious for me at times but it was to be expected since the topic was the Knights Templars and their history. I will be reading more in this series.

Scoring:

5 points -was on the original list of 10 recommendations
4 points - haven't read anything by this author.

9 points

message 21: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Beth wrote: "I originally entered David Mitchell, and I picked Alice Munro from the options, since I had never read her. I read Too Much Happiness. I liked it, but ..."

Well, you definitely visited a beach (see above ruling).
I'll grant the Children's day too. It was the main character in that story.

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15093 comments I entered Khaled Hosseini and picked Jojo Moyes from the list. I chose to read The Girl You Left Behind. I wasn't overly enthusiastic about two other books I read by Moyes, so my expectations weren't very high. It turned out to be a decent read (3 stars). I enjoyed the story set in the past and the book kept my attention, but at times it felt a bit too romancy/chick-litty for my liking.

2 points - There is a feast/large dinner party where there is a large amount of food - St. Knut's Day, where Julgransplundring, literally "Christmas tree plundering" occurs where everyone eats the biscuits and lollies decorating the tree.

Total: 8 points

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1879 comments Rusalka wrote: "Well, you definitely visited a beach (see above ruling).
I'll grant the Children's day too. It was the main character in that story. "

Thanks!

message 24: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments Dave Eggers - Favourite author
Michael Chabon - author chosen from list

I read The Yiddish Policemen's Union

A unique premise: a safe haven was established at Sitka, Alaska for Jewish refugees after the Holocaust. Sixty years later, the area is set to revert to Alaskan control. This was quite a reading experience. I like its originality, and the relatable characters. The writing is excellent, though I sometimes just wished he’d get on with it. I would likely have enjoyed the book more if I had not struggled with the many Jewish religious and cultural references.

5 points - If the author is on your original list of 10 recommendations (position #1 on first page)
2 points - The main character visits the beach - ch. 29
2 points - There is a feast/large dinner party where there is a large amount of food - ch. 25
2 points - Your book is science fiction - I would call this alternate history, but the book has won several science fiction awards, so I guess it is science fiction.

Total 15 points

message 25: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments I debate the sci fi category too. But it's listed on the main page. Go for it.

message 26: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2429 comments Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Chose Jhumpa Lahiri ( from original list 5 points + read her works before 2 points)
Read In Other Words
The book was " meh" - rated it a 2. Commendable in that she wrote it completely in Italian, a learned third language for her. It's about her determination to learn and write a complete book in Italian while living in Italy. The book is about her love of the Italian language and her drive to immerse/herself in the language. There was a feast but it was in a dream, so have not included the points.
Total score: 7 points

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1879 comments Lilisa wrote: "Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Chose Jhumpa Lahiri ( from original list 5 points + read her works before 2 points)
Read In Other Words
The book was " meh" - r..."

You should try Interpreter of Maladies. Short stories and won the Pulitzer. It is my favorite of her books (we were in high school together).

message 28: by Sue Q (new)

Sue Q | 240 comments Lilisa wrote: "...There was a feast but it was in a dream, so have not included the points."

hehehe That is SO cute!!!!

message 29: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2429 comments Beth wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Read In Other Words
The book..."

Thx Beth, I read that one awhile ago. I've read quite a few of her books and haven't been able to get past a 3-star rating. Each time I hope for more, but not yet...nice, you went to high school together. I get the impression from her book that she's an introvert - did you get to know her well?

message 30: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2429 comments Sue Q wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "...There was a feast but it was in a dream, so have not included the points."

hehehe That is SO cute!!!!"

:-)!

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments My favourite author - Gillian Flynn
The author I chose off the recommended list - Donna Tartt
The book I chose to read by that author - The Little Friend
Did I like it? yes. It was long and definitely a slow burner. From the blurb and the beginning of the book I expected it to be a mystery but it wasn't. Most of the time I had no idea where the book was going. It was dark. The characters were well fleshed out and the way the author explained the setting was awesome. I felt like I was actually there. I can see why Tartt was recommended as being similar to Flynn. I like her writing style and will definitely read more of her work.

My score:

2 points - The main character in your book is a child (under 15). Harriet was 12.
2 points - There is a feast/large dinner party where there is a large amount of food. At the beginning of the book they are preparing for a feast which is disrupted by the death of their son (not a spoiler - it's in the synopsis). Also a funeral in the book where food is laid on at the wake. Not very cheery I know. Not sure if this is what you had in mind.
2 points - A character in your book is a fisherman. Harriet's best friend Hely goes fishing at one point in the story plus there were other people fishing there but they weren't characters in the book, just extras. Would this count?
Total = 15 points (if they all count)

message 32: by Lori Z (last edited Jan 19, 2018 06:18PM) (new)

Lori Z | 1828 comments For this challenge I chose Janet Evanovich as my favorite author.
MaryJanice Davidson was the author I chose from the recommendations.
I read her book Undead and Unwed. For the most part I enjoyed this book. I gave it 3 stars. The characters were funny and it was a quick read. However, the graphic sex was a little too much for me. I've read a lot of books with graphic sex scenes and don't usually mind it, but this (view spoiler) was a little too much for me. While I'd like to see what happens to the characters I probably will not continue with this series.

Score:
2 points - There is a feast/large dinner party where there is a large amount of food. If one vampire "feasting" on 3 women at one time counts. Guess I'll need a ruling.
9 or 11 points depending on the ruling.
Edit - ruling made. Total score 9.

message 33: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Lilisa wrote: "There was a feast but it was in a dream, so have not included the points.."

I didn't say it had to be in real life. Count the points.

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Sarah wrote: "2 points - There is a feast/large dinner party where there is a large amount of food. At the beginning of the book they are preparing for a feast which is disrupted by the death of their son (not a spoiler - it's in the synopsis). Also a funeral in the book where food is laid on at the wake. Not very cheery I know. Not sure if this is what you had in mind."

didn't say it had to be happy.

message 35: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Lori Z wrote: "2 points - There is a feast/large dinner party where there is a large amount of food. If one vampire "feasting" on 3 women at one time counts. Guess I'll need a ruling."

Alright, this one I will say no. Because I was envisioning the sharing of food with multiple people and copious amount of food. This unfortunately sounds like a solitary gorging.

message 36: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Thanks Rusalka.

message 37: by Sue Q (new)

Sue Q | 240 comments Rusalka wrote: "This unfortunately sounds like a solitary gorging."

For some reason this matter-of-fact ruling made me giggle so hard!! I picture that poor vampire looking at the mess he made with the saddest frown on his face now :D

message 38: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Sue Q wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "This unfortunately sounds like a solitary gorging."

For some reason this matter-of-fact ruling made me giggle so hard!! I picture that poor vampire looking at the mess he made with the saddest frown on his face now :D "

Lol... "This was delicious, but if only I had some friends to share it with. One day the cool vampires will like me too, and I can share my women."

message 39: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments He needs a 90s teen movie transformation.
*whips off dorky glasses* *pulls hair out of bun*
"If only we had realised how cool he was before!"

message 40: by Sue Q (new)

Sue Q | 240 comments LOL!!!!!!!!!

message 41: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1828 comments Too funny! Well, I knew it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try, lol. I'll edit my score.

message 42: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Lori Z wrote: "Too funny! Well, I knew it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try, lol. I'll edit my score."

You never know if you don't ask!

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jan 20, 2018 08:08AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48826 comments My favourite author is Stephen King.
I chose Michael Crichton from the first page of recommendations.
I read The Lost World.
I enjoyed it - gave it 4 starts. The download of scientific data/theory kept it from being 5 stars.

5 pts - original page of recommendations
2 pts - I've read several of Crichton's books
2 pts - the opening chapter has one of the main characters on the beach investigating a dinosaur carcass.
2 pts - there is much feasting going on - dinos feasting on other dinos, dinos feasting on humans, dinos parents teaching dino babies to feast on humans.
2 pts - science fiction
2 pts - 2 of the significant characters are 13. They stow away to the island and play significant roles.

Total - 15 points

message 44: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Janice wrote: "2 pts - there is much feasting going on - dinos feasting on other dinos, dinos feasting on humans, dinos parents teaching dino babies to feast on humans."

Man, now throwing dinosaurs in the mix. Who would have thought that the feasting element would have contentious!
Make sure you read up this thread and make sure it fits for the points :)

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48826 comments But, but, but.... you already okayed it here.

message 46: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17075 comments Yes I did. Carry on.

I'm up to my eyeballs in job applications. I claim insanity today.

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jan 20, 2018 07:41PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48826 comments I claim it every day - insanity that is.

message 48: by Cherie (last edited Jan 21, 2018 12:53AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19996 comments I typed in Robert A. Heinlein and David Brin came up on the first list. I had his book The Postman on my TBR list, so that is what I read.

Scoring:
Random January Points
2 points - There is a feast/large dinner party where there is a large amount of food - St. Knut's Day, where Julgransplundring, literally "Christmas tree plundering" occurs where everyone eats the biscuits and lollies decorating the tree. There were several large dinner parties in the story, in honor of The Postman, as he traveled to different towns.
2 points - Your book is science fiction - National Science Fiction Day Yes!

Total Points: 13

I really enjoyed the story and I am so glad to finally have gotten to read it. It was published thirty-three years ago and is a very scary look at what we could all still be facing in a future time. Hopefully it will never happen, but the fact is, is that it still could, given our world situation and the crazy things that happen every day. I will be reading more of Mr. Brin's books. I enjoyed his storytelling. His characters were believable and his ability to set a scene unforgettable. It was easy to read, with just enough science and technology added to make it real. It is not a place I would ever want to live in.

message 49: by Sue Q (new)

Sue Q | 240 comments Favourite author - Julie Kagawa
Author chose off recommended list - Aprilynne Pike
Book chose - Life After Theft
Did I like it - it was so-so... I liked the actions of the different schemes to help out Kimberlee - and loved Kimberlee more than the other characters - but some of the teen angst stuff was annoying - or maybe I'm just getting too old!

2 points - The main character visits the beach - visits often throughout the book (view spoiler)
Total: 9 points

message 50: by siriusedward (last edited Jan 22, 2018 03:54AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments 1.Georgette Heyer
2.Selected Dorothy L. Sayers from the first set of suggestions. . And read her first book Whose Body? and fell in love with Lord Peter.
3.I loved the book.It was a ☆☆☆☆☆ read for me.
I liked the characters and the plot was okay too.It is a cozy mystery.The mystery part was okay.I liked the characters and the setting more.The time period.A light and fun read.Lord Peter is a sweet and likeble H suffering from PTSD after the war.
4.Score
5 - from the original suggestions
4 - new to me author
There was a luncheon party , unfortunately 😂

Total - 9

« previous 1 3