You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

YLTO Member Zone > Cherie's Serial Killing cont. 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Cherie (last edited Dec 30, 2018 05:45PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Cherie's "'He's not dead, Jim, he's worse than dead.... His brain is missing!!'" 2018 list:

Link to original challenge. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Orphan books from series killed in 2015/2016/2017:
Book: The House of Unexpected Sisters No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency #18
Book: The Colors of All the Cattle No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency #19
Book: The Fate of Ten Lorien Legacies #6
Book: United as One Lorien Legacies #7
----------------------------------
Ongoing Series list:
Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini 1/3 read
Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan 1/3 read
Coughlin by Denis Lehane 1/3 read
Inn at Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber 1/5 read
Darcy & Elizabeth by Linda Berdoll 1/4 read
The de Granville Trilogy by K.M. Grant 1/3 read
The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss 2/3 read - still waiting for #3
The Giver by Lois Lowry 1/4 read
She by H. Rider Haggard 1/4 read
Witch & Wizard by James Patterson 1/5 read
Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks 3/5 read
Discworld Tiffany Aching Series by Terry Pratchett 1/5 read
Discworld Witches Series by Terry Pratchett 2/6 read
Green Knowe by L.M. Boston 3/6 read
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin 5/6 read
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz 4/7 read
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis 1/7 read
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 5/8 read
Discworld Rincewind Novels by Terry Pratchett 3/8 read
Discworld City Watch Series by Terry Pratchett 3/8 read
44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith 1/10 read
Joe Demarco by Mike Lawson 1/10 read
Harry Hole by Jo Nesbø 3/10 read
Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery series by Lyn Hamilton 1/11 read
Bloody Jack by L. A. Meyer 1/12 read
Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris 1/14 read
Allan Quartermain by H. Rider Haggard 1/15 read
The Sandman (Graphic Novels) by Neil Gaiman 4/15 read
Guardians of Ga’Hoole by Kathryn Lasky 5/16 read
Temperance Brennan by Kathy Reichs 1/18 read
Aubrey/Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brian 19/21 read
Toby Peters by Stuart M. Kaminsky 2/24 read
Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie 9/45 read
Xanth by Piers Anthony 32/40 read
Nero Wolfe by Rex Stout 27/47 read
Inspector Konrad Sejer by Karin Fossum 3/12 read
The Passage by Justin Cronin 2/3
Miss Marple by Agatha Christie 4/12 read
Department Q by Jussi Adler-Olsen 1/6 read
Miss Fortune Mystery by Jana Deleon 1/8 read
Philip Marlowe by Raymond Chandler 2/8 read
Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs 3/11 read
Georgina Kincaid by Richelle Mead 3/6 read
Children of the Mist by Paula Quinn 2/5 read
The Clockwork Century by Cherie Priest 3/6 read
The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander 2/5 read
Old Man's War by John Scalzi 3/5 read
Irene Adler by Carole Nelson Douglas 1/8 read
The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare 1/3 read
Lord Peter WimseyDorothy L. Sayers 1/15 read
Charley Davidson by Darynda Jones 1/14 read
The Origin Mystery by A.G. Riddle 2/3 read

New Series added in 2018:
Winternight Trilogy by Katherine Arden 2/3 read
Home Repair is Homocide by Sarah Graves 1/16 read
The CHRONOS Files by Rysa Walker 1/3 read
Phryne Fisher by Kerry Greenwood 1/20 read
Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch by Robert B. Parker 3/4 read (only the books written by Parker) are being counted
Morrie Morgan by Ivan Doig 1/3 read
October Daye by Seanan McGuire 1/13 read
The Corfu Trilogy by Gerald Durrell 1/3 read
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache by Louise Penny 1/14 read
Kurt Wallander by Henning Mankell 2/10 read
Gideon Crew by Douglas Preston& Lincoln Child 2/5 read
Jeremy Logan by Douglas Preston1/5 read
Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica by James A. Owen 3/8 read
Cotton Malone by Steve Berry 1/13 read

Series Killed in 2018:
Brilliance by Marcus Sakey 3/3 read Jan 14th
The Atlanteans by Kevin Emerson 3/3 read Jan 29th
Akasha by Terra Harmony 4/4 read Feb 5th
Frieda Klein by Nicci French 8/8 read Aug 24th
Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett 5/5 read Sept 19th
Pendergast by Douglas Preston 17/17 read Oct 16
Unwanteds by Lisa McMann 7/7 read Dec 1
Amelia Peabody by Elizabeth Peters 20/20 read Dec 10
Barbara Holloway by Kate Wilhelm 14/14 read Dec 28

Series Killed in 2017:
Tailorstown by Christina McKenna 3 /3 read
Gentlemen Bastard by Scott Lynch 3 /3 read
100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson 3/3 read
Bobiverse by Dennis E. Taylor 3/3/ read

Series Killed in 2016:
Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs 3/3 read
MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood 3/3 read
Stoker and Holmes by Colleen Gleason 3/3 read
Book of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau 4/4 read
Tomorrow by John Marsden 7/7 read

Currently Reading:

message 2: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I really need to pare down some of these that I have not touched since the list was started, but I do not want to loose track of some of the others. The ones in bold are those that had a book read during 2017. The bottom 13 are the ones I added in 2017.

My goal is to kill 10 series this year. I think I can do it.

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Go for it, Cherie! You can do it.

message 4: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2461 comments Awesome Cherie - you're going strong...like the energizer bunny! Good for you!

message 5: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1848 comments You got this, Cherie!

message 6: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Thanks all!

Janice - I think I saw that you were going to use The Atlantis Gene for your Zodiac challenge. I really enjoyed the narrator (Stephen bel Davies) and he is doing the 2nd book too. You really have to pay attention to the names - just FYI.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments I have The Anubis Gates on my challenge. Are you maybe thinking of that book?

message 8: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I meant for the task that requires Atlantis or Poseidon on it. Aquarius / Aquaman.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments I don't have anything slated in that task yet.

message 10: by Cherie (last edited Jan 04, 2018 07:20PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Janice wrote: "I don't have anything slated in that task yet."

LOL! I know, I looked. Sooo - you could read/listen to The Atlantis Gene unless you are looking for a book with Poseidon in the title. I could have sworn that you said you bought it from Audible. There are 4 books in the series.
You could combine them and read Atlantis Rising

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Haha... you're very helpful, Cherie.

Sounds like a "killer of a series". Only problem is, I'd have to start the series before I could kill it, and I have enough series on the go, and enough first books coming up on my to read list.

message 12: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments First series book of the year finished. The Atlantis Plague. Even better, I found out that this is a trilogy. Only one more to go.

message 13: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Cherie wrote: "Cherie's "It's NOT really dead, Jim" 2018 list:.."
'He's not dead aJim, he's worse than dead.... His brain is missing!!'
Da da DAAA!!!!!

Sorry Cherie, but you reminded me of one of my favourite ST lines and I HAD to share it...

message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Oh, Annerlee! That made my day! And yes, it is one of my favorite lines too. Not one of my favorite episodes though. I should update the remark with your post.

I just finished another book for my Zodiac Challenge but started a new, four volume series with it.

message 15: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I updated the quote at the top of my list. Thank you, Annerlee for reminding me of it.

I loved the humor in the Home Repair is Homicide book The Dead Cat Bounce, so I have added another series to the list.

I am going to start listening to the third Brilliance book for my Zodiac Challenge tonight.

message 16: by Annerlee (last edited Jan 14, 2018 12:33PM) (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Cherie wrote: "I updated the quote at the top of my list. Thank you, Annerlee for reminding me of it...."

Thank you Cherie. I feel so honoured

Spock - fascinating

message 17: by Cherie (last edited Jan 16, 2018 12:03PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I killed one! The Brilliance Saga is down for the count. I did not enjoy the third book as much as the first two, but overall, it was a 4 star finish to the trilogy. series link

message 18: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1848 comments Congrats Cherie, on killing off one of your series!

message 19: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Three down and one to go on the Akasha series. Pretty mindless and really a waste of time as far as the story and characters go but my Zodiac Challenge is moving right along.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments I was going to keep a list this year too, Cherie, but fortunately I didn't. So far, I have killed none, but added one. lol

Congrats on killing off a series! I'm glad you enjoyed it overall. I have the first Brilliance book on audio. Although, that would be starting another series to kill!

Are you reading your Agatha Christie series in order or just keeping track of how many you've read?

message 21: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments @Kristie - No reading order on the Agatha Christie books, just as I come across them. I actually have 7 or 8 to read that I picked up at a garage sale. I have a couple of Nero Wolf books too.

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments I have a couple of Christie's that I plan to read this year for the yearly challenge. I don't read them in order either.

message 23: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I do not have any of them planned on my yearly challenge, but that could change too, if I pick one up to read. I know that Mrs. Marple will fit the age task. She may appear, if my library does not have the book I have posted. I have not looked.

message 24: by Almeta (last edited Jan 21, 2018 02:15AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10360 comments Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Nero Wolfe and Brother Cadfael are always worth a browse when looking for Toppler and Challenge books!

Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, Ellis Peters

message 25: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

message 26: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I finished book #17 for the Aubrey/Maturin series. The Commodore by Patrick O'Brian I wish this was the cover on the issue I listened to, but it was The Commodore (Aubrey/Maturin, #17) by Patrick O'Brian , which Tineye will not give me the % of white. Oh well - another series book read and another great Simon Vance narration to listen to. I am really hoping I can get the last three in audio.

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments It was not on my list but I killed a YA trilogy called The Atlanteans. I bought the first book several years ago and it had been hanging out on my Nook waiting for an excuse for me to read it. Thanks to the Dystopian label and the ZZ challenge, I read all three, just to get them over with.

message 28: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1848 comments Looks like you're on a killing spree, Cherie! Way to go!

message 29: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Thanks Lori. I am trying to reduce the list anyway....

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Good job, Cherie.

message 31: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Thanks, Janice. :0)

message 32: by Cherie (last edited Feb 05, 2018 11:48AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Akasha by Terra Harmony is DEAD!
The book covers were beautiful, but the story line and characters - not so much. It was a stupid, running battle for power and not even any taking care of the earth or living up to any kind of healing. I got four Zodiac Challenge tasks completed with the four books in the series out of it.

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments At least you made it worthwhile. I didn't have the patience.

message 34: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Yes, you didn't miss anything, that is why I didn't say much when you quit the first book. I thought the third book was going to turn the battle and allow the story line to get back to "saving the earth" mode and allow the magical abilities to do good but it failed again. There were some characters in the last book that I liked, but the MC turned into someone else, abandoned her child and I totally didn't care by the ending - which was totally weird.

message 35: by Cherie (last edited Feb 06, 2018 05:58PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Slowly making my way through my list of 1st-in-series-to-read titles, thanks to the yearly challenge.
New add: The CHRONOS Files by Rysa Walker . I have added the 2nd book to my TBR list of series books. Timebound is the debut novel by the author. YA, Time Travel, and I read it for female, unmarried under 20yo. The cover might fit for either black or blue, but I did not check Tineye.

message 36: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Unbelievable, but I have 468 book titles on my shelf "1st-in-series-to-be-read" shelf. After I read the first book, I remove it from the shelf. Now I wonder how many I would have if I had a shelf for "2nd-in-series-to-be-read", but I doubt if it is going to happen.

message 37: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Cherie wrote: "Unbelievable, but I have 468 book titles on my shelf "1st-in-series-to-be-read" shelf. After I read the first book, I remove it from the shelf. Now I wonder how many I would have if I had a shelf f..."

LOL... or killing all thoser fresh started series!

message 38: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I finished a third book in the Inspector Konrad Sejer series by Karin Fossum, The Water's Edge. This one was creepy.

message 39: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I am definitely moving on with Frieda Klein and have started book three. Phryne Fisher has been added and will stay on the list.

message 40: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I have to wait for Frieda Klein #7, which does not seem to be listed on GR. It is available in ebook from my library, but I am ON HOLD. #8 is due to be published in August, but who knows when it will be translated?

I was able to apply 5 of them to my ZZ challenge. Whoot!

message 41: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10025 comments That is impressive Cherie! Hope you'll be lucky with no 7 😉

I'm wondering what they will do with no 8, after all there are 7 days in the week. Any clues on the naming?

message 42: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Good Reads lists it as The Day of the Dead, which says July of 2018 for Frieda Klein #8. Supposed to be the last one.

message 43: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10025 comments Thanks. I was hoping for "next monday" 😉

message 44: by Cherie (last edited Mar 08, 2018 04:28PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Margo wrote: "Thanks. I was hoping for "next monday" 😉"

ROFL!!!! I guess she could have used Black Monday or Monday Next. I bet she was not planning on 8 books when she chose the week day names for her books. Who knows though?

message 45: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10025 comments I actually think it's a cool idea. The 8th book will have to be special though 😉

message 46: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I was looking for an audio book from the library and the one I wanted was not available, so the website offered me a couple of other titles. I saw one that had a beautiful cover with clouds and I recognized the author's name and the series character. It was a book in the Pendergast series, but I could not tell which one, nor could I find if they had the first book in the series to download. All of them seemed to be way down in the order, but none were available except #16, so I downloaded it and started listening last night. (view spoiler)

message 47: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments Cherie don't give up on this series. It is a fun series. I would start at the beginning. It uses many of the same chars. Pendergast is like the James Bond of strange crimes.

message 48: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Thanks, Renee. I am enjoying the story, so far, although I do not understand the references to some of the things they are talking about. I plan on going back to the beginning though. 0_o

message 49: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I have added Pendergast to my 2018 list. Reading the next to last book published first was not the way to start a series, but I am definitely inclined to go back to the "beginning" now.

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments I read Relic the end of last year, Cherie. I thought it was really good. I did not add the series my kill list though (at least not yet), because there are so many! And there is no end in sight that I'm aware of and I already have what feels like a thousand on there.

I slimmed down my list for 2018, but then added to it again, of course. I'll probably never be done killing series.

« previous 1 3 4