Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Romance Light Novel Recommendations ?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (sparklypinkelixir) | 11 comments I've been in a romance kick as of late. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for this?
SAO, Yona of the Dawn, Mangaka Yuu Watase's work, Red River, Twin Star Exorcist, are some of the few romance type books I love at this moment.
(in general SAO, Bleach and Fairy Tail are my favorite anime/light novel/manga I love)
Any suggestions? :)

message 2: by Cindy III (last edited Jan 02, 2018 06:39PM) (new)

Cindy III | 8 comments Ooh this should be interesting. I like the romance genre, but so far have only read a Tokyo Ghoul light novel (not romance at all). I do have Seraph of the End: Guren Ichinose Catastrophe at 16 on my tbr shelf. That one is more of tragic romance in a fantasy post apocalypse world with vampires and demons.

message 3: by Terrence (last edited Jan 02, 2018 11:08PM) (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments The only reason I read anything is for the romance, ha ha.

If anyone knows of any surprising romantic stories, let me know. I really like triangles, especially when they aren't predictable. A good example of that is Kokoro Connect. Konosuba too. Both those kind of feel like fan pandering to some extent, but whatever, I like when they appeal to us by letting best gal win! xD

Mixed Bathing in Another Dimension is one of the few stories we've gotten that establishes a boyfriend and girlfriend by volume 1's end.

Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers, while not a romance story, has its moments.

Re:Zero is all about the two ships. Maybe both of them will sail by the end? There's a whole extra chapter dedicated to one of them sailing in a "bad ending" fashion as our hero makes the choice to be with them over his primary objective.

Did you read "My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected"? I haven't... But I watched the show. It's got some relationship stuff, though very slow.

I don't know if it counts as "romance", but the male and female relationship in Welcome to the NHK is one of the best.

Baccano has some decent romance stuff in it.

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom has a harem, but there is a main female lead who gets more of the novel's time in terms of romance.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash from J-Novel Club has extremely slow relationship development, but I think it's compelling development.

If they ever translate it, you'll really like Chivalry of a Failed Knight (also known as Rakudai or something in Japanese). The anime is streaming on Crunchyroll iirc.

message 4: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1521 comments Mod
Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness, though not a romance exactly, might have what you're looking for

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) | 248 comments Oh, didn’t know that SAO and Twin Star Exorcists would fall under the romance rubric. I guess I subconsciously like romance. ^_^ when Rokuro and Benio’s “daughter” had to return (view spoiler)and Benio (classic tsundere, btw, maybe that’s why I like it so much?) didn’t want her to leave, I cried. Oh man, I’m starting to cry again.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) | 248 comments How about Spice & Wolf, Vol. 01?

(Btw, bleach was the first serialized anime I watched and was it a doozy! I got up to #146 or so before I just had to quit my addiction.)

I noticed that there’s only one light novel list and no light novel romance list. Maybe we should make one? Or maybe we should create a bookshelf?

message 7: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (sparklypinkelixir) | 11 comments Alex wrote: "Oh, didn’t know that SAO and Twin Star Exorcists would fall under the romance rubric. I guess I subconsciously like romance. ^_^ when Rokuro and Benio’s “daughter” had to return [spoilers removed]a..."

I'm going to pretend this isn't here =P, I haven't read book 10 yet!
The books don't fall under romance but it has romance in it that I like. I don't know what SAO falls under really...

message 8: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (sparklypinkelixir) | 11 comments Alex wrote: "How about Spice & Wolf, Vol. 01?

(Btw, bleach was the first serialized anime I watched and was it a doozy! I got up to #146 or so before I just had to quit my addiction.)

I notice..."

I JUST finished reading book one! I love it so far!
I have
Black Bullet, Asterick Wars, Magic High, Seraph of the End and Accel World light novels to read in my collection. (Not counting SAO.. it was already mentioned..)
Bleach is to blame for my anime/manga addiction and for getting my brother in to it as well as reading. It will always be my favorite, I even got the Jump Japanese mag. with the final chapter in it. (sniffles)
(looks over on shelf) You don't want to see my Bleach book shelf...

message 9: by Selena (new)

Alex wrote: "I noticed that there’s only one light novel list and no light novel romance list. Maybe we should make one? Or maybe we should create a bookshelf?"

Like a Listopia List here on Goodreads? There are a lot of LN lists, and we have a thread here devoted to them. :)

Though, I don't think there are any romance lists linked in that thread right now. If you make one, post it in the thread. :)

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) | 248 comments Japanese Light Novels - Romance Listopia List
Japanese light novels in the Romance genre or with substantial romance content.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) | 248 comments Marisa wrote: "I don't know what SAO falls under really... "

litRPG? Isekai?

message 12: by Selena (new)

Alex wrote: "Marisa wrote: "I don't know what SAO falls under really... "

litRPG? Isekai?"

Male power fantasy? :p

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) | 248 comments That too! I only watched the anime and season 2 was the damsel-in-distress cliche, which I despise.

message 14: by Selena (new)

Alex wrote: "That too! I only watched the anime and season 2 was the damsel-in-distress cliche, which I despise."

I thought that was the second half of season 1.

I really liked the last arc of Season 2... Maybe because Kirito wasn't in it. :p That one had a character arc in there that really, really tugged on the heart strings. Plus, Asuna got to be a bad ass again. <3 I love Awesome Asuna. Retconned-Asuna just doesn't compare.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) | 248 comments Oh, was that the 2nd half of season 1? ?_? The one in the "elf" world? (Retconned? You mean b/c she started out as badass, but then wasn't?)

message 16: by Selena (new)

ALO (the fairy/elf world) was second half of season 1, and it was featured in season 2 a big as well.

She's retconned more in the manga versions than in the anime. In the "Progressive" manga series, she's rewritten to require Kirito teaching her how to play video games in general, while in the anime she's a perfectly cable gamer. Maybe the anime made her capable and in the source material she wasn't? :(

message 17: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (sparklypinkelixir) | 11 comments It was given in hints in the amime/manga that Asuna was a new gamer, switch she had no clue what that was, he was explaining things to her as they where going to the 1st floor boss. there was a lot of items left out of the story because the author had a strict page limit ( from reading the letters in the back of the books). hence why there is 2 short story books. I'm reading the light novel of progressive right now. It is different then the original. Kirito is helping Asuna, but he doesn't have to do much when it comes to her fighting, he thinks it comes naturally to her that it shocks him.

message 18: by Selena (new)

Marisa wrote: "It was given in hints in the amime/manga that Asuna was a new gamer, switch she had no clue what that was, he was explaining things to her as they where going to the 1st floor boss. there was a lot..."

Huh, I didn't get that impression from the anime. Maybe I just totally missed it. Thank you for the correction. :)

message 19: by Rose (new)

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments From the gist I get of this thread, you're after recommendations for light novels that include romance as well as light novels from the romance genre?

I would definitely second the recommendations for Spice and Wolf and Kieli which are both romance stories. In both, the relationship forms over the course of the series and is one of the pillars of the story. They're both great stories and they're some of my favourite light novels. :)

Other than that, I'd tenuously recommend the books from Cross Infinite World as they publish shoujo/josei works with a romantic focus. I'd also tenuously recommend Baccano and Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash as they are good stories that include romance but it is less central to the story.