Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > December Top Read

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
In all the confusion of the team challenge, the holidays going on, Top Three Thursday being organized, talking about best/worst books of 2017, the thread for the top read of just December never got posted. (Sorry!) So here it is! Share your favourite read from Dec 2017 here.

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 652 comments The Twelve, second book in The Passage series. Middle books in trilogies are hard to do right, but this one nailed it.

message 3: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I only read one book in December and that was game of thrones for the first time and it was just brilliant 😊😁

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1629 comments Oathbringer, still. Will likely be my January book too.

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7038 comments Mod
Emperor's Blades!!! So good. :)

message 6: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments The Disappearance Of Winter's Daughter. I love Riyria and Sullivan's writing.

message 7: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 828 comments Jurassic Park! I can’t believe it took me so long to finally get to it.

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Binti by Nnedi Okorafor. I did a bunch of Tor novellas to end the year and this was the best of the bunch. Made me want to up my science fiction reads in 2018.

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Ruin by John Gwynne =]. I have a feeling Wrath will be my top January read, if not my top read of 2018.

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 652 comments Yanique wrote: "Jurassic Park! I can’t believe it took me so long to finally get to it."

NIce! I first read Jurassic Park in elementary school because my parents wouldn't let me watch the movie. I reread it about five years ago, and still thought it was a ton of fun. Easily my favorite Crichton book!

message 11: by Miche (new)

Miche | 2939 comments The Bonehunters

I loved the characters development at this installment of Malazan.

message 12: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I read a lot of great books in December, but my favourite was actually non-fantasy and I haven't been able to put the series down: My Brilliant Friend.

message 13: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14906 comments Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection -- finally read this and it was packed with so many great stories... I think Emperor's Soul and Secret History were my favorites...

The Emperor's Blades & The Traitor Baru Cormorant close behind...

message 14: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments The Curse of Chalion

I have found in Bujold everything I have been looking for and even more than I asked, and I will definitely be continuing the series and reading her other novels.

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Mayim wrote: "The Curse of Chalion

I have found in Bujold everything I have been looking for and even more than I asked, and I will definitely be continuing the series and reading her other novels."

This was one of my favourite buddy reads I've done with the group and I also loved the book.

message 16: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Jenna wrote: "Mayim wrote: "The Curse of Chalion

I have found in Bujold everything I have been looking for and even more than I asked, and I will definitely be continuing the series and reading her other novels..."

Sadly, I have missed one, but we are reading the Paladin of Souls this month so please join if you have not read it yet.

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I didn't have a 5* book in December.

message 18: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3891 comments The book I liked best in December was a non-fantasy book. The Ladies of Ivy Cottage